Replace fuel pump / access to it ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanCampbell

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Hardtop
Hello,

I need to replace the fuel pump on my 73 with 351C and AC

The Power steering pump is in the way, does the PS pump need to come all the way out?

Do I need to disconnect the lines?

I have the car jacked up, PS pump bolts out, but I cant seem to move it enough to get access to the top fuel pump bolt.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks everyone.

Dan

While I haven't done so myself on a car with the Ford pump, it should be easy enough to pull the pump for temporary access on a non-A/C car. Just a bit more difficult if you have A/C, but not terribly so.

FYI, Saganaw canned-ham steering pump conversions may have better access to that top bolt. No access problems on my 400.

-Kurt

I was able to undo the top bolt by going in from the top... Lots of patience turning that thing about 1/8 turn at a time... My wrench is pretty short. A longer one would have been nice. If you look down from the top you will see the top bolt between the water pump and the engine block.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to undo the top bolt by going in from the top... Lots of patience turning that thing about 1/8 turn at a time... My wrench is pretty short. A longer one would have been nice. If you look down from the top you will see the top bolt between the water pump and the engine block.
Not really ideal when you're doing the reinstallation.

-Kurt

I'm having a tough time with this, I cant move the PS pump enough to get at the bolt.

I was trying to wiggle it out of the way, I can't get it out of the bracket frame, it's unbolted, but I can only move it up and down a little.

I can't get anything on the top fuel pump bolt.

wrench, wobble socket.

Any thoughts? This is a bear for a 1/2 inch bolt. It's outsmarting me.

photo.JPG

Pull all the bolts and the brackets, and pull the pump - connected - up and over the compressor. Tie it down while you're working.

-Kurt

to change the fuel pump you need to access it from under the car.

The oil filter must be removed to gain access.

pop the oil filter off and catch any oil that comes out, hold the oil filter up so you don't spill it.

once the oil filter is out of the way you can access the top bolt.

pop the fuel lines then you will be able to get the pump out quite easily. depending on your tools you may need a small extender for the top or bottom bolt and nut. the bottom nut is on a stud and it helps you align it for putting a new pump in.

view from underneath on jack stands

in the photo the lower rad hose was removed for replacement however i've done the pump swap 2 times and you just need to remove the oil filter.

to change the fuel pump you need to access it from under the car.

The oil filter must be removed to gain access.

pop the oil filter off and catch any oil that comes out, hold the oil filter up so you don't spill it.

once the oil filter is out of the way you can access the top bolt.

pop the fuel lines then you will be able to get the pump out quite easily.

view from underneath on jack stands

+1

Thats how I did it when mine went bad.

Good luck!

Great info guys!

Did you have to do anything with the power steering pump when you replaced the fuel pump?

Or was removing the oil filter all you had to do?

Thanks again.

Dan

I didn't have to move the oil filter either... Just took a lot of patience with a wrench from the top. You don't need to completely remove the bottom bolt either.

Removing the oil filter worked, and I used the 1 1/2 ext in a quarter inch ratchet.

Thanks so much for all the help guys, great information!

Drove it around the block today.

Dan

Back