20" wheels on '71-'73

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finmach

Reaction score
My Car
'72 Mach 1. Ford Racing 460+TKO600+Moser M9 4.11 DL
Guys, I was looking for a pictures from our favorite Mustangs with 20" wheels. I found pics from luxstang 18" and so on, but not a dice with 20". Would you like to share your pic or link if you've got a picture I am looking for. I had once a set of 20" mag 500's but sold them and now I am seriously thinking of getting again a set 20" wheels with 28" front tires and 29,3" rear tires to get some meat for the horse carriage's :blush: There is a huge selection of wide and tall tires at the 20" wheel size. Don't worry, I'll keep a set of 15" AR TT D's just for kicks and the 17" steel wheels too - you know man needs to have wheels...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen 'em, but it ain't pretty. (just my opinion - I'm not a big fan of 20s on fastbacks - coupes and 'verts aren't so bad, though) rofl

I've seen 'em, but it ain't pretty. (just my opinion - I'm not a big fan of 20s on fastbacks - coupes and 'verts aren't so bad, though) rofl
I agree with Mister 4x4. The car would look like it belongs in a cartoon. However, if YOU like the look that is the only person you need to please.

bah. yuck. the huge rims and no tires is a fad that will die within a few years. I think I would not like a 7173 mustang with anything more than about 17in rims.

I like the more modern bigger rims on alot of vehicles. The reduced side wall is good for performance driving IMO. On our cars though 17" wheel is my limit anything larger just doesn't quite look right to me.

Hi Finmach,

Wheel and tire sizes always comes down to personal taste and preference i guess. This could also be looked at from an age perspective as well.

From the age of 20 years going to up to say 80 years, there is a cross over or threshold age where the 20 inch wheels will or won't cut it!:p:p

BTW - My tastes are old school.:)

Greg.:)

Having said all that, there are some really nice cars out there with 20s. For instance:

DSC_28821.jpg

http://www.goolsbycustoms.com/projects/project-pegasus-1971-ford-mustang/

Edit: you won't find many (if any at all) with 20s that don't have extensive sheet metal, suspension, and body work to make it all happen. 19s are just about the biggest you can stuff in there without having to start making room inside the inner wheelhouses (and will have to consider mini-tubbing to make some of that happen).

Great points - well said.

Definitely not for me. I still prefer the dog dish hubcaps with or without trim rings. :)

Being normal just be be different...

Ray

:) I wasn't quite expecting this much of resistance. I truly understand your point, my car is at the moment with 15" Torq Thrust D's with ol school tires 28" at rear - donut look. I like it as it is.

As spoken, I allready had a set of 20" magnums. IMO it looks good but desperately needed taller tires. Those are only app. 27" rear and app. 25.5" in front. Those are the wheels I should have kept. What comes for the tire selection there aren't that many wide 11" wide threat with 13"ish section at the size 17"-18" wheels that would be tall enough for my taste (28" to 29,5"). When it comes to 20" wheel there are stacks of proper tires like 295/40-20, that is 29.3" tall so it leaves 4 and a 13/20" of tire per side of the wheel. That is low profile but it leaves enough meat to call it driveable in my experience. I am not doing this for the tire selection but for the reason to want something diffrent - 13" wirespokes are out of question :dodgy:

More meat for the wheels and it would have been a killer match.

I am going with 19" wheels front and rear, 18" is a fine size, but looks to small for my taste on these big bodied stangs. Just my opinion.. If you like the 20", then do it! I like it with big wheels.. With that said, it's not easy to find any pictures with 20's on 71-73 Mustangs.. :)

:) I wasn't quite expecting this much of resistance.

More meat for the wheels and it would have been a killer match.

No resistance, Brutha! I just figured you'd run into some issues finding pics of Clydesdales with dubs, that's all. ;)

Having said all that, there are some really nice cars out there with 20s. For instance:

DSC_28821.jpg

http://www.goolsbycustoms.com/projects/project-pegasus-1971-ford-mustang/

Edit: you won't find many (if any at all) with 20s that don't have extensive sheet metal, suspension, and body work to make it all happen. 19s are just about the biggest you can stuff in there without having to start making room inside the inner wheelhouses (and will have to consider mini-tubbing to make some of that happen).
Good one 4by.... for me if its a classic I draw the line at 18 and like others its not my car and my taste are mine and opinions well there like... oh wait never mind :D

So 4 by .... I think that is a good idea that went bad some where. I appreciate the work but that is what I think the young guys call "sick" ....and I think that would be my term for how I felt when I saw the car so ...they are right.:D

There are some things about the Pegasus I'm not really a fan of, but overall, I think it's an awesome car with outstanding craftsmanship. ::thumb::

I do love the "ducts" in the quarters, the blended rear bumper and quarter extensions, and a few other details... but I don't care for the tail light panel, grille and use of the 2010-2011 headlights, and I'm not sure if I like the drip rail 'smooth look' either.

I can't wait to see what our own body mod guys come up with - protouringstang73, wide-body71 in particular. Not everybody can take something to the next level... the skill, imagination, and determination required is not all that common. Even so, while not everybody is going to be in love with everything, recognizing the effort and craftsmanship despite personal taste is easy enough to do. These cars are necessary to push the envelope and inspire others - and my hat's off to everybody who isn't afraid to step outside the box (I just prefer to keep my stuff simple, and save the radical stuff for styrene plastic or my sketch pad. ;) )

I think the problem boils down to the overall diameter of the wheel. With my 18 inch rims, there is not much room for a rubber side wall unless you want the wheels to be of a much larger diameter than the originals.

Mine are bigger than the stock wheels too (27 inch on the rears) but you need to draw the line somewhere or your car will look like those stupid "donk" rides that used to be the craze among douchebags.

I think it would work good if the car stayed at the same level but perhaps with a ton of fender tuck. That, of course, would require tubbing out the wells and a whole bunch of horsing around.

The Goolsby car is pure art. I have 17's on my car and it has a serious effect on ride comfort. I suspect 20's leave the suspension even harder. You sacrifice ride with these big wheels and tires that don't support the antiquated suspension.

The Goolsby car is pure art. I have 17's on my car and it has a serious effect on ride comfort. I suspect 20's leave the suspension even harder. You sacrifice ride with these big wheels and tires that don't support the antiquated suspension.
True that Rotten...but ya left out tha PUKE look :D

Clydesdales are sweet looking horses... bigger dubs would be needed though... :D

20" wheels doesn't need extensive work for anything if unless you want to go superwide tires. I had a '05 Mustang wheels in size of 20x10 and they had 295/30-20 tires Toyo Proxess 4, it was before I had the fenders rolled and before the shortened rear axle. Wheels had a enormous bs of app. 7.2", they did not hit the leaf spring or the inner wheel wells. But they were tucked in, did not looked good, would have needed app. 1" spacer. In my experience I could have mounted a 315/35-20 tires to rear with correctly positioned wheel. I rolled the fender lips just in case.

What comes for the tire overall diameter, I have no desire to under 27", looks just too small IMHO. I would use 30" tires rear if they would fit. Well, actually they do fit, but they will rubb the wheel well from the frontsection if you want to drive the thing and IMO its the main purpose of the vehicle. I am using 29.3 tall drag racing slicks which has 9" of thread and 11.4" section widht - they fitt good, but pretty much maximum overall diameter with stock fenders.

What comes for the wheel package, the more you guys are saying "no no" the more I am thinking of "go go". I do have an option to go with 18x9.5-18x10 wheels with 295/45-18, that equals 28.4" overall diameter. Once I got my 17" steel wheels done, I'll share a picture where my Mach is having 17x7 with 27.1" at front and 17x9.5 with 29" at rear. I've shared a quick peak from my garage earlyer but here it goes again. It's been 1 1/2 year from the pictures taken and absolutely nothing has happened for the wheels since exept they have rusted a little :p

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-17-steelwheels

kuva0287_zpse248388e.jpg

kuva0298_zps8252d4ce.jpg

-------

edit: corrected the rear steel wheels overalldiameter from 9" to 29"

Back