What kind of mileage is everyone getting?

Took a 330 mile round trip yesterday from my town of Pilot Mountain N.C. down to Chesnee S.C. to see a friend. Hopped in the mustang of course since I drive it everywhere especially since I got the TKO in it and the ole 429 knocked off 18.4 mpg at 70-75 mph. It sure is nice to be able to jump on the interstate and pick any lane I want, lol. Got a lot of thumbs up and surprised looks, especially driving through Charlotte. So what's everyone else getting? Overdriven or not doesn't matter.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh easy answer I'm pretty sure I'm up to 8 mpg.

67 Diamond Blue Vert

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRveIaRU6OAzTfd2Mv6ypGH49BZcPU7MS_7PBKhiOmpmJJrHJ_B_Q

DUDE

LOL even my sig line offended somebody!

18 mpg but then I often go over 90 mph on our freeways. Off the freeways it's a lot of curves and narrow roads so you hardly ever get to coast its always accelerate and slow down, accelerate etc which also reduces mpg.

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

when your at cruise on jetting only you get good mileage, throw in a tall rear ratio which lowers RPMs and you gain even more. on a 150 mile trip i took i got over 20mpg.

the minute you hit stop and go traffic you will drop to 8mpg if you are lucky. if you stay off the pedal so the accelerator pump doesn't need to come on much then your mpg will come up.

My best tankful was 21 last fall on the way to Tennessee. I averaged 19.5 for the 1600 mile trip.

Around town it's around 12 - 14 depending on routes and traffic.

My goal when all is done would be to average 25 on the highway. I think it's very realistic with a FI engine, overdrive and the proper gearing. Right now with overdrive and a 2.75 gear it luggs the engine too much. 3.25 - 3.50 will get the RPM up from about 1700 to near 2000 @ 70, that should help. Couple that with electric fans. serpentine accessory drive, an 8.8 rear... 25 should be in range.

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

I get around 20-22 highway, and 12-15 city.

these numbers have been very consistent, I have a 302, 2100 carb, FMX transmission, and 2.79 gears (everything is stock)

the only change I have done to the car was replace the stock heads with rebuilt ones that are setup for unleaded gas.

Iyman

1972 Mustang Convertable :run_horse:  [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=1507]Visit My Garage[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Facebook Page [button=https://www.facebook.com/MUSTANGCCNE]MCCNE FB Page[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Web Page [button=http://www.mccne.com/]MCCNE Web Page[/button]

I have a 408 Cleveland stroker. c4, 8.8 rear with 373. And on our trip out to Carlisle for the all ford nationals I got around 7mpg. We rejetted the carb and I got a little better up into 9's but around town im always 7-9mpg. Maybe trying out a holley fuel injection setup next year if the money permits and hopefully get into the teens then.

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

It improved with the GV. I get about 9 where I was getting about 7. I haven't had the GV on long enough to get a more accurate measurement. And for the last 5 months I have only started it once a month and driven it once at all. But the weather is cooling off so soon it will be mustang time!

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

Around 13-15 for me from a stock fully loaded 2V with AC and pwr everything fmx and 2.75 rear. I think a Aus gallon is 1.2 US gallons,Was a bit shocked by the amount of juice this thing uses for what it is,but hey I didn't buy it because I thought it was going to be economical.

He has all the vices I admire and none of the virtues I despise

Long time since its been on the road but I remember 10-11 on the freeway and 8-9 in the city. That was with 3.25, C6 and 351 Q motor. I'll update when its back on the road again, this time 351 modified, TBI fuel injection, C6 with gear vendor and 3.89 rear. I am thinking city will remain roughly the same but freeway should improve. On the freeway in overdrive the rear will be equivalent to a 3.00 rear. Hopefully better mileage overall.

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

Long time since its been on the road but I remember 10-11 on the freeway and 8-9 in the city. That was with 3.25, C6 and 351 Q motor. I'll update when its back on the road again, this time 351 modified, TBI fuel injection, C6 with gear vendor and 3.89 rear. I am thinking city will remain roughly the same but freeway should improve. On the freeway in overdrive the rear will be equivalent to a 3.00 rear. Hopefully better mileage overall.

I am running the 3.5 gear and the c6. When I put the GV on it my mileage on the freeway went up at least 2mpg and I could drive 75 without all of the noise! It won't pay for itself in gas but the GV gets lots of points for 'smiles per miles'. Going 1st to 1st over is a blast.

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

to paraphrase my grandmother "oh to get 9 mpg . . ." (The actual quote was when she attended a niece's 80th birthday party at the age of 95 and said "Oh to be 80 again)

I'm happy when mileage is 175 miles per tank. At 150 I'm looking for a good gas station.

And since my gas gauge isn't accurate-I have eased into two gas stations this summer with not much more than fumes in the tank.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

to paraphrase my grandmother "oh to get 9 mpg . . ." (The actual quote was when she attended a niece's 80th birthday party at the age of 95 and said "Oh to be 80 again)

I'm happy when mileage is 175 miles per tank. At 150 I'm looking for a good gas station.

And since my gas gauge isn't accurate-I have eased into two gas stations this summer with not much more than fumes in the tank.

Is the gas gauge accuracy due to the fact that you put a new float in it? I don't think mine us accurate too so I am toying with the idea of putting a resister in line to compensate for the float. I know that with a full tank the resistance across the float assembly should be 10 ohms and 73 ohms when empty..

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

My stang gets the same around town mileage as my 06 v6 Dodge minivan.

(18 mpg If driven easy!... romping on it 5 mpg)

last March I was 6 mi from home and the fuel pump died. Rather than call a hook

I took the top of the Eldelbrock carb off and filled the float bowl with fuel and made

it all the way home driving as easy as I could...I was rather impressed with 6 mi to

a bowl full!

It depends on how you drive it I bet I could use a gallon on a 1/4 mi WOT pass.

73 Grande

351C 2v

Now 4v Carb/Cam/headers/T5

Gasoline is for washing parts.

Alcohol is for drinking.

Nitomethane is for racing!

Work in Progress photos here:

Last Update: 4/23/16

http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/therocket366/library/?sort=3&page=1

Last trip I took to Yosemite with new engine around 18-20.

Around town maybe 10-12.

That's pretty much stock 4V quench Cleveland with some kind

of cam. Also, toploader and 2.75 rear. With the 3.50 ready to be

installed those numbers would likely drop. Forgot to mention the

Holley 770 Avenger.

mike

spacer.png

Guys,

My Mach 1 with a "warmed up" 85 truck motor, 3:50 gear w/ top loader gets 11 mpg on the highways @ 65 mph and around town if I'm not beating it like a plow mule, period. It gets no better or worse.... Then again my model A with a 351 Cleveland with alum heads, AOD & 4:11 gear gets 16-18 on a good 80 mph run !!!

As someone said previously, we don't have these vehicles because there economical to drive, it's all a state of mind you're in when you're driving them !!!!

Thanks, Jay

Ummmmm...... 460 , C6 rofl I don't even wanna know . :dodgy:

1_11_01_14_4_00_47.jpeg

460 , Edelbrock Performer carb. + intake , 204 / 214 cam , Pertronix Flamethrower 2 billet dizzy + coil , Crites long tubes , C6 .

71 M Code, 3.25, C6, 3514V, Edelbrock 650cm carb is the latest set up got 13 average on last fill up, most of that's around town and short trips.

I took off the Edlebrock performance intake and put the stock 4V cast iron intake back on including the turkey pan, went old school, got tired of fighting the vacuum leaks, just couldn't keep that gasket from creeping out. The aluminum and the cast iron contract and expand at different rates creeping the casket out is the best explanation I could find. I know many of you have done it with no problems but I couldn't get it right.

The car is less cold natured with the cast iron intake, that could also be because it was running lean with vacuum leaks with the Edelbrock intake.

Jim

engine.thumb.jpg.8db266747e59b2254be4d3572cdbb45d.jpg

Jim

M code 71 Mach 1, 351 4V Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Trans, 3.5 rear

last March I was 6 mi from home and the fuel pump died. Rather than call a hook I took the top of the Eldelbrock carb off and filled the float bowl with fuel and made it all the way home driving as easy as I could...I was rather impressed with 6 mi to a bowl full!

Regardless if this took place on the side of the freeway or a quiet back road, I nominate you for the MMA (MacGyver Mechanic Award).

For me, I get about 200 miles per tank, but I'm always romping on it. :cool:

Doc

Project started 8-7-10

Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system

Current "mini-project": interior upgrade :-/

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=76]Doc's Garage[/button][button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mustang-convertible-restoration-and-modification]Doc's Wiki[/button]

I don't believe our cars are the bricks a lot of people make them out to be. Compared to a lot of cars, even newer, the frontal area on our Mustangs are quite small. Plus they already have an aerodynamic shape and I can personally vouch that they or at least mine hold the road quite well and steady at 150+

I drove to Wisconsin last weekend and hit 19.1 on the way there at 70-75 mph. I took the scenic way home and pulled down 18.

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]