How much should this work cost?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rottenralph

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Bright Lime green Mach 1. Has 351c 4v heads with Holley manifold and summit 650 cfm carb, power steering, Power disc front brakes, FMX 3 speed auto tranny, and A/C. The car sits on 17 inch Eleanor wheels with 225/45 front and 245/45 rear. Car is nice bust needs some love under the hood.
I had my car in the shop and I am finally picking it up tomorrow and the price seems a bit on the high side. The following items were done. Should this cost 3 grand?

Top end removed and rebuilt with new valves.

Timing chain, cam and lifters replaced(I bought parts)

New axel seals on rear end

Rear brake rebuild

lowered front with new springs(I bought parts)

replaced rear shackles(I bought shackles)

Trouble shot and found electrical draw that was killing battery.(two hours)

He bought gasket kit, 4 pushrods, some miscellaneous hardware, rear seals, brake pads and a gable for emergency brake, He had my car for 2 months and I would like to know how much of this bill should be labor. What does a top end rebuild cost?

Hard to quantify another mechanic's actual labor on any job. There are certainly other mechanics that you could have shopped around for and likely found a "better" price.

However, when judging cost purely on "book rate", you open yourself up to a world of ultimate dissapointment.

Two different mechanics doing the same job can ( and often do) have considerably different results.

The overall skill and integrity of the mechanic along with the quality of his work is at least as important as his ( or his shop's) labor rate. I think it is most important.

Would you rather pay $3000 and have a quality trouble-free result that gives years of satisfaction, or pay only $2,000 to then later discover that certain aspects of that mechanic's work ethic were questionable, or maybe even sub-standard.

I own several auto repair facilities, so obviously I am biased. But...I demand all my techs and mechanics do each job as thoroughly and completely as possible: chasing threads, wire-wheeling reused bolts, torque wrenches on EVERYTHING with a torque spec, Loctite or Antisieze wherever appropriate, etc...

It is the details that make a mediocre job into a great job.

A good, honest and skilled mechanic is worth his weight in gold to a good customer, as well as the owner of the shop he works for.

If that mechanic you used is a concientious and honest one,the few hundred bucks you may have saved somewhere else will soon be long forgotten.

Last edited:
My only question is, does this sound like 1800-2000 dollars worth of labor content? That would be about 20-24 hours in my mental book and that seems like a lot of hours to do what needed to be done. They had my car 2 months and he is supposed to have reduced the bill for the 6 weeks of extra time my car sat there.

Heads were said to cost around 500 and the rest of the parts about 300 with fluids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I can't be of much help because I did all the things you describe myself except brakes and E-brake. The bottom end rebuild cost me $1100 in labor.

If you can post the parts/labor breakdown, we might be able to help a little but it will probably be too late anyway. Sounds like maybe $400 max for the parts he purchased, retail.

What was the original quote?

Is this the engine that the cam went flat in? If so, was it completely flushed of all old oil, including the oil galleys?

After paying 80 bucks (20 years ago) to have a bare 302 hot tanked, then spending another 3 hours removing galley plugs and digging chunks of crud from the corners on the outside of the block... I question everything.

Cam turned out to be o'k but replaced with milder one, valves were jacked on 4 exhaust valves. Guides not reamed properly(he suggested) most likely and stuck partially open. Bent push rods on open valves. Heads were completely torn down and rebuilt, all exhaust valves replaced, not sure about guides(told to do whatever was best). I will see the bill in the morning. My question is about labor. 20 hours to do this work, heads were sent to machine shop.

No original quote because he did not know what was wrong. I am just trying to get a reference point. If someone says 20 hours is close I am done asking assuming you are not pulling my chain. The 2 months pissed me off and then a higher bill than he said last week. He said I was around a grand at that point and then the head rebuild and reassembly and it would be done. So, I went from 1000 in labor to 2000 and brakes, rearend, lowering already in price.

Ralph - Based upon my experience doing several of the projects that your mechanic did, I don't believe that a total of 20 hours of labor is outrageous. If the work is quality work, and not a shade tree mechanic special, I could see it taking a total of about 20 hours to complete all the things you mentioned, knowing that our 40-year-old cars can take a lot of "massaging" to disassemble and reassemble those old parts without breaking something.

Just my 2cents.

O'k, thanks. Now lets just hope it runs like a beast. It needs to because my 8500 dollar car will hit 15000 tomorrow

O'k, thanks. Now lets just hope it runs like a beast. It needs to because my 8500 dollar car will hit 15000 tomorrow
That's a good attitude. Post a pic or video of you sitting on a pillow while romping the Mustang when you get it back. Often, that helps soften the missing lump in your wallet. Not meaning to be flippant - I know what you're saying.

3k is not unreasonable for the work performed as kit says if it's done to a high standard & he stands behind his work craftsmanship. As a shop owner myself for many years I had to explain to customers the "other costs" involved besides just labor. Many just saw the "well it took it you how long" hours aspect and you want how much ! Besides paying your techs labor there's overhead..employee benefits..electric, heat, rent, permit fees,..waste removal fees..equipment, tools investment..employee training..workers comp, Insurance, phone time..ordering parts..and the list goes on & on..Many fail to realize that your in business to be fair turn a profit get a return on your investment. they also fail to realize that a good shops expertize knowledge is worth something as well. In the long run that alone could save you from paying for a job twice. I will also add that I wouldn't even consider doing a full head job with the motor in the car for any less that 1k in labor & that's just the take it apart put together aspect it wouldn't include parts or the machine shops charge or if you have a/c

From the other shoes, having ran my own aircraft maintenance facility for years, its often very difficult to hand a customer a lofty bill even when you know in your heart its a legitimate repair cost but you have to charge what you charge or you won't be in business very long. I finally closed my doors around 2010 because my demographics could no longer support my overhead. Painful insurance premiums, escalating facility rent, unbelievable parts costs, high fuel prices driving down the flying community, all contributed to the ultimated end. In that I realize that your cost is high, but like Kit said, if he did it right its not unfathomable.

I expected around 2 grand ish and that is what prompted the question. It all needed to be fixed and hopefully when I get my car everything runs perfect. I figured the 90 bucks an hour covered all the shop costs and benefits. I run a 40 million dollar business and I wish I could bill 90 bucks per labor hour.

I expected around 2 grand ish and that is what prompted the question. It all needed to be fixed and hopefully when I get my car everything runs perfect. I figured the 90 bucks an hour covered all the shop costs and benefits. I run a 40 million dollar business and I wish I could bill 90 bucks per labor hour.
when was the last time you had a plumber or electrician to your house ? See what they get per hour these days ? they get 90.00-110.00 just to show up service call charge. Cars, homes, boats, appliances hvac all expensive stuff to service repair maintain.

I just had my 390 heads completely reworked at BB&T in Southaven. New valve guides and a 3 angle valve job on the existing valves ran $500. He had the heads for 3 weeks (to long in my opinion) but given that I did not have the money at the time I dropped them off the wait helped out. Just a local example to draw from. I do know other very qualified shops and individuals in town who do high quality work if you need other estimates when work is planned. By the way, Collierville car show on Saturday at Central Church on Winchester and Houston Levee. I will have the 72 there if you want to stop by.

I think my son and I will jump in and drive out there barring any other issues. What color is the 72? I would like to meet you since you live 15 miles away and your car will be easy to spot. I have some work to do on the interior to have it ready for action. I have carpet, sound deadener and a center console to mount. This is my daily driver as of tomorrow so it needs to be quiet and I have 50 feet of dynamat to achieve that goal.

Got a text message that they had a problem with the intake, can't wait to hear what it is. I suspect I might be buying an Edelbrock 2665. It was sealed when it came off so I am really interested to hear what could be wrong with the Weiand manifold they took off. Dual Plane is perfect for me I think so I will see tomorrow. Looks like I am riding my Sportster to work tomorrow, could be worse. I am a bit frustrated because this means more money now. Not sure I should pay for do-overs.

I had my car in the shop and I am finally picking it up tomorrow and the price seems a bit on the high side. The following items were done. Should this cost 3 grand?

Top end removed and rebuilt with new valves.

Timing chain, cam and lifters replaced(I bought parts)

New axel seals on rear end

Rear brake rebuild

lowered front with new springs(I bought parts)

replaced rear shackles(I bought shackles)

Trouble shot and found electrical draw that was killing battery.(two hours)

He bought gasket kit, 4 pushrods, some miscellaneous hardware, rear seals, brake pads and a gable for emergency brake, He had my car for 2 months and I would like to know how much of this bill should be labor. What does a top end rebuild cost?
Ralph,

If they did all the work you have listed. I'd say that the $3000.00

dollar price is not that bad. And if everything works great, it might be a bargin. If you pull up to the shop, and the car is setting there all washed up, then I'd say your dealing with a quality repair shop.

The value of the repairs will be known after the firt 200 miles!!

Back