Had to smile

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
I have a low rust/lots of dents '71 sportsroof.
I was at a friend’s today and with the help of someone who specialized in assembling Factory Five vehicles his coupe is on the road. Still some things to do but it is nice.

The topics of Mustangs came up. I mentioned my ’71 and….. “Well that’s a little better than a Mustang II”

If our cars got the respect they deserve they’d be too expensive to enjoy.

DSCN5293.jpg

I was at a friend’s today and with the help of someone who specialized in assembling Factory Five vehicles his coupe is on the road. Still some things to do but it is nice.

The topics of Mustangs came up. I mentioned my ’71 and….. “Well that’s a little better than a Mustang II”

me too I cant believe how unloved one of the best muscle cars ever made is!!!!

mutang.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah we get no respect. I was talking with somebody and they made a remark about "big body and my motor NEEDING all that horsepower to push OVER 4000 lbs." Like we discussed in another thread I didn't walk away and shun him because his facts were way off. I simply and VERY CALM and nice, recited the 187.5" length and ask...so I bet you see the 67 as a MUCH smaller car right? He responds yeah that's when they were a lot smaller. I responded, yeah so less than 4" is a lot in your opinion? Probably is to most guys wives. Before he answered I said and what about the weight the 71 is right around 500 lbs heavier,...heck that is about the same as most people's wives!!! (got a snicker) And now lets add in the ride height my BIG BODY car is 1.4 inches SHORTER than my 67! So what is your opinion in how these cars got the BAD RAP from people with spec's like that??

He just looks at me with his jaw on the ground and said...."I've always heard....." :D I smiled and said...somebody has been lying to you" "all I can say is who ever told you that probably tells his wife or girlfriend he's built like a 71 Mach I" thought the guy was gonna just crumble right there. He didn't know whether to laugh, cry, or whatever but the look on his face was priceless.dancebanana

Tommy that's a pretty car

than people should collect pintos if there scared the value is going to go up......i swear people are so cheep if your cant afford a hobby don't get into one.

Pintos and Vegas have gone way up in price for ones that aren't too rusty. I've been eyeing a Mustang II for a strip project. A clean one that I was trying to get for $1500 (all I thought it was worth) just sold for $3500. Buying my '71 saved money. I'm pretty cheap:s but even if my Big Un would have cost more I'd have taken it before getting a II.

This made me smile yesterday. I finished work early got in the Mach want for a drive as I went past a sport ground about 8_10 little school kids raced over to the footpath and all gave a thumbs up in unison so funny.Then later a bloke stopped me on a pedestrian shared zone took a photo and another thumbs up. Price can only go up if the public love em. Its funny how its mostly car guys that chuck off at our cars

Last edited by a moderator:
Its funny how its mostly car guys that chuck off at our cars
True about it coming from car guys. My ’71 usually get “dissed” by car guys over 40 and also guys who go out of their way to tell me how much they love Fords and only Fords BUT not my Ford.

Same thing with Vettes of the 70s. A Vette guy will love a ’72 and then go on and on about how much a ’74 sucks. It’s easy to bring the power of the smogger Vettes up and you can’t see the urethane bumpers from the driver’s seat.

This is true. Not to mention there are tweaks to suspension brakes etc that sometimes make for a better experience for the driver. Their are some cars that are just plain ugly but they make the best sleepers eg 74 cutlass or Malibu

Drove up to a High School reunion dinner in Chicago this weekend. I met with friends the night before but skipped the actual reunion. Everybody there was a car guy. Two guys had had “our” Mustangs. Another guy had a ’67 GTA and a new Mustang II in ’74 while we were in HS. Another guy had a two new Mavericks (one at a time) back then. The final guy was GM all the way.

I had to get a vote on our Stangs. WE WON! Mr. GM can’t understand why I bought my ’71. The former Mustang II owner said the “the 71-73s and Fox bodies are the only bad Mustanges ever made.” The rest of us at the table are big fans of “big” Mustangs. 4 to 2, take that haters!

My biggest question from the night was, ”Why are the other guys all so old?”

...The topics of Mustangs came up. I mentioned my ’71 and….. “Well that’s a little better than a Mustang II”

The tied is turning an our 71-73's are getting new respect. I was at a car show yesterday with over 200 Mustangs entered, mine was in the early Mach1 Class, the only other car in my class was a original owner 69 Mach1, matching numbers and very nicely restored. Only those that entered cars could vote, now in year past you would expect 200 Mustang owners to overwhelmingly vote for the 69 Mach1 over a 71 Mach1 but my 71 ended up getting almost twice as many votes...from Mustang owners!

Yeah we get no respect. I was talking with somebody and they made a remark about "big body and my motor NEEDING all that horsepower to push OVER 4000 lbs." Like we discussed in another thread I didn't walk away and shun him because his facts were way off. I simply and VERY CALM and nice, recited the 187.5" length and ask...so I bet you see the 67 as a MUCH smaller car right? He responds yeah that's when they were a lot smaller. I responded, yeah so less than 4" is a lot in your opinion? Probably is to most guys wives. Before he answered I said and what about the weight the 71 is right around 500 lbs heavier,...heck that is about the same as most people's wives!!! (got a snicker) And now lets add in the ride height my BIG BODY car is 1.4 inches SHORTER than my 67! So what is your opinion in how these cars got the BAD RAP from people with spec's like that??

He just looks at me with his jaw on the ground and said...."I've always heard....." :D I smiled and said...somebody has been lying to you" "all I can say is who ever told you that probably tells his wife or girlfriend he's built like a 71 Mach I" thought the guy was gonna just crumble right there. He didn't know whether to laugh, cry, or whatever but the look on his face was priceless.dancebanana
That's hilarious Dan!

The tied is turning an our 71-73's are getting new respect. I was at a car show yesterday with over 200 Mustangs entered, mine was in the early Mach1 Class, the only other car in my class was a original owner 69 Mach1, matching numbers and very nicely restored. Only those that entered cars could vote, now in year past you would expect 200 Mustang owners to overwhelmingly vote for the 69 Mach1 over a 71 Mach1 but my 71 ended up getting almost twice as many votes...from Mustang owners!
Congrats Jim!

Back