7173 mustang values

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPAIN72MUSTANG

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang convertible
2008 ford edge
2006 cadillac cts
i just want to say that i been on so many sites that sell classic cars and every class of cars seem to hold a good value pretty good to you get to 7173 mustangs,so many people hold no value to these cars except some that stand out and show great but for others ones i see them selling for chump change, no way can you buy one and fix it up and only sell it it for 5,000 or 10,000 dollars,before some start screaming i didn't buy my car to sell it ..... ok that,s fine so many people don't buy 7173 mustangs and plan on ever selling it,but in the classic car market you would whan't it to go up in value no matter what i see camaro's chevell's impalla's 65 to 70 mustang and every other make hold there value,im just saying people need to demand decent value for our 7173 mustang instead of being so hard up and giving it away,even on this site i here i dont want prices to go up because i can,t afford the hobby,i say collect pintos,just my 2 cents.just tired of 7173 mustang geting a bad rap.it deserves the same respect as other classics cars out there......

I am not sure I comprehend what you are trying to say.

It does appear that most of the folks on this site and in the 71/73 mustang hobby are in it for the love of the car, not to make money.

I am not sure our cars 'get a bad rap'. Certainly they are gaining more interest and respect. I would argue that my 1973 Mustang gets more respect than a 1973 Chevelle. It is certainly better looking.

Hi Ron,

I think that in time, we will see the value of our Mustangs rise. Public perceptions and public awareness always play a big part with values, so it's hard to predict where and when values will change. Economic climates play their part too. I notice that these days, people around the world are seeking to collect lesser known and less popular classic American cars in preference to the mainstream popular models, because they want to own a car that's more different and unique and stands out more than well known more popular models.That will help change the landscape of values in time as well i think, in a positive way.

I was doing a little reserch the other day on Hagerty's website on values, and found their information interesting. How accurate their info is i personally don't know.

http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch

Here in Australia, the values tend to be more expensive, because of all the extra costs involved in bringing the cars out here. For example, let's say you are buying a '72 Mustang for $24,000 American right now. To bring that car to Australia and put it on the road and start driving it around, would cost you an extra $10,000 Australian in fees, charges, taxes etc.

I bought my '73 Vert back in 2011 here in Aus, and paid $30,000 Aus for it. Since i have owned it, i've sunk easily $15,000 extra into doing it up. If i tried to sell my car today, i know i could only ask around $35,000 Aus for it.

I did not buy my car only to look at it as a rising investment. I bought it to enjoy myself, and bring happiness, pleasure and joy to my life.(which it does). What money can you put on that! That's worth a million dollers and more.

Be patient, as values will rise as time goes on.

Greg.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
if you read the post it says some people that collect 7173 mustang don't plan on ever selling there cars, as for it getting no respect your kidding me right, all I here are people crying about they don't want the prices on these cars going up because it will cost to much for them to buy parts for there cars, to my point if you search for classic cars are are on the low end and other classic cars are holding there value and commanding more money.........some people will just never get it....

Austin I hear what your saying and I agree,all im trying to say is we should hold our cars up a little higher like Camaro guys and mopar guys .and value them more even if you never sell it.

Hi Ron,

I think that in time, we will see the value of our Mustangs rise. Public perceptions and public awareness always play a big part with values, so it's hard to predict where and when values will change. Economic climates play their part too. I notice that these days, people around the world are seeking to collect lesser known and less popular classic American cars in preference to the mainstream popular models, because they want to own a car that's more different and unique and stands out more than well known more popular models.That will help change the landscape of values in time as well i think, in a positive way.

I was doing a little reserch the other day on Hagerty's website on values, and found their information interesting. How accurate their info is i personally don't know.

Here in Australia, the values tend to be more expensive, because of all the extra costs involved in bringing the cars out here. For example, let's say you are buying a '72 Mustang for $24,000 American right now. To bring that car to Australia and put it on the road and start driving it around, would cost you an extra $10,000 Australian in fees, gharges, taxes etc.

I bought my '73 Vert back in 2011 here in Aus, and paid $30,000 Aus for it. Since i have owned it, i've sunk easily $15,000 extra into doing it up. If i tried to sell my car today, i know i could only ask around $35,000 Aus for it.

I did not buy my car only to look at it as a rising investment. I bought it to enjoy myself, and bring happiness, pleasure and joy to my life.(which it does). What money can you put on that! That's worth a million dollers and more.

Be patient, as values will rise as time goes on.

im talking about the value of respect for our cars, I agree about the good looking part if you go on many sites and look at 7173 mustang for sale they are being sold under value that's my problem and just bringing attention to it

Certainly they are gaining more interest and respect. I would argue that my 1973 Mustang gets more respect than a 1973 Chevelle. It is certainly better looking.

Times a million::beer::

im just saying people need to demand decent value for our 7173 mustang instead of being so hard up and giving it away,
I think it's just the opposite no one is giving these cars away especially since all the car flipping shows everybody thinks they have gold. Have you seen what their asking for rotted out junk ? that's what 5k gets you. I was just having this conversation the other day with a friend..The shows on t.v. have basically put the kabash on the deals that you used to be able to find get..they are far & few in between. Not only that many good restorable cars have been ruined by the wannabe flippers everybody & his daddy is a restoration expert

Austin I hear what your saying and I agree,all im trying to say is we should hold our cars up a little higher like Camaro guys and mopar guys .and value them more even if you never sell it.

Ron,

When you say 'we', are you refering to the forum members here, and/or the general public?

It's my perception that the '71/73 forum folk love and value thier Mustangs highly. However, we know that the general public's perception of our cars is mixed and varied in a general way. Public awareness and public perceptions and attitudes dictate the popularity and market value of all motor cars i think. In that sense, it's the public's perspective of our models that needs to change for the better, and i feel sure it slowly is. Of course, rareity of any collectible item plays a key role in market values as well.

There is always a bean counter around who thinks that money makes one an Alpha. You want to put a value on my car? It was my first car. It took me on my first date. It took me to prom. We pounded down dark highways on endless summer nights. It was my first "hot rod". It bore my first modified engine(s), trans, rear end(s). I took me to college. I drag raced it. I street raced it. I crashed it. I fixed it. I learned to paint on it. I had some of my best days in it. I had some of my worst days in it. I've had it for 31 years. It bears no monetary value to me. I simply want to restore it to to fun status so it can carry me into my last tomorrows. With that, what's my car worth?

I really can't afford this venture but I'm going too. It may never get done, but I will have tried. This poor bastage will not bow out of this car because he can't afford it or can't find the value of it.

After owning my 71 convertible (Mach 1 tribute) for 7 months now I am going to predict that the 71 to 73 Mustangs will slowly start catching up in value to what the 69/70 cars bring. Here is why I think so. Within Mustang circles there is still a good bit of negativity towards our beloved 71-73s. I think it really persists mostly because it has been there so long. However, outside of Mustang circles my car garners tons of positive feedback. This is true across many different demographics. Men and women of all ages give me "thumbs up" or tell me "Nice car!" etc as I drive around town. But the most attention comes from little kids who can't even know it is a Mustang, they just know it is AWESOME! So it seems to me that people who have never been exposed to the anti-71/73 sentiment just look at the car and know it is something special and they are drawn to it.

In the 15 years that I've owned my car, it's at least doubled in value as far as my initial investment is concerned.

I drove the car exactly one time, then disassembled it.

When it gets on the road, I already know that I won't give a rats booty about what anybody thinks of it. It will not have a paint job. It will be ugly. I know exactly what it will sound like, ride like, stop like and go like.

It will be mine.

And I bet I'll get a decent offer or 2 on it.

It won't be for sale. Been there, done that, and would love to have 2 or 3 back that got away.

I call that being priceless.

A quick 'buy it now' ebay search. It seems that 'normal' mustangs of all years in decent condition sell in the same price range. The big difference I see is the specialty earlier models are going for big bucks compared to the 'specialty' 71/73 models.

I've got more money in mine than I could sell it for (not to mention my time), but I didn't buy it, to flip it, I bought it to enjoy it. So if I ever do sell it, although I'll take a loss, one can't put a price on the enjoyment it's brought. I also look at it as a hobby that'll cost me some money. Having said that I am conscious of what I put into it to limit what my "hobby" will cost me, if I ever do sell it.

If you're buying one just to make a profit you had better be experienced in body work and mechanics or find a bargain that doesn't need much.

I agree that our cars in driver condition are relatively cheaper than early model mustangs. (For example what do you get for $10,000 for a 1967-68,1969-1970,1971-73 fastback)? 67' & 68' fastbacks are astronomical these days! 69-70s aren't far behind. Which keep them out of the average buyers price range. Buy a coupe!!! Lol. 71-73s are by far the most car for the money. At least it will probably be running. Lol. I'm actually getting rid of my 68' fastback GT clone, show quality, 351 CJ with a T5. Because I've always dreamt of getting my first car back. I had a 71' Mach 1, M code, Wimbledon white, black mach stripes with a 4 speed and a wing. Found a 72' a year and a half ago for $9000. I've spent a few grand on it. Probably won't ever make money on it but it's fast looks good and I LOVE it!! I hate that people call it big body. It weighs 3200 pounds near as I can tell and will outrun most any car it lines up against. I do agree they're unique in that a lot of people don't know what kind of car it is!!!lol. Always gets compliments. More than I remember getting when I was a teenager! I suppose our cars just don't fit real nicely in the first gen category. A lot more aggressive body styling than previous models. Spaceship look happens to suit me just fine. :) value??? As long as it's insured for what I have into it, that's all I care about. Just want to protect my baby....I mean investment!

See I disagree totally. I keep hearing about value this and cost that. Some people keep wanting to say if you can't afford it get out. To me it sounds like to many people get in it for an "investment" more than love of the car and you want your investment to go up in price. Lets be honest the classic car market is extremely volatile. The large majority of classic cars are not investments. Most restorations DIY or professional that I have ever seen that somone sells later are sold at a loss. Most of us have more in our cars than they will ever be worth in our lifetimes. To say that we can demand more for our cars is pure heresy when the market and car buyers in that volatile market are what sets the price. Lately prices not so good if you watch some auctions for our cars.

I am tired of retarded schleps like Richard Rawlings driving up the price on half assed pieces of shit and parts that the deal on TV is faked most of the time anyway. Assholes like him are making it so the average guy can't afford to maintain a plain classic car anymore. Let alone a pinto which interestingly enough have been netting high prices in recent years.

I think the initial low prices are what attracted a few folks to these cars and that is also what has started to drive prices up, supply and demand. If I was to use a local analogy it would be XA XB GTs no one wanted them for along time everyone wanted XW XY GTs because they where the "last real GTs" even though XAs where faster to 100mph and quicker down the strip. When no one could afford XW XYs Hey XAs are kinda cool and they have all the same drive line with better brakes and suspension and they are a bargain, that didn't last long now most XAs are out of the price range of the average man. 7173s will follow because in many ways they are the best of the breed especially if your lucky enough to own a Boss 351 or 429 for those of us that don't well we get the same styling and basic combos its inevitable,and I guess not in our own interests to play down the value of our cars. It just may mean the end of cheap parts but the upshot would be greater access to repop parts and panels. Just my 2 cents gentlemen.

well clearly we all have different opinions.... Kit belongs with a group that considers you a dumbass if you don't know the lingo and ask professional questions...Spain feels strongly that if you are a POOR bastage that is "saving up" for a part and would prefer the parts are more accessible at reasonable prices....well you are just a POOR bastage that needs to get out of the way of folks WITH money. That group will not ever give the average guy the time of day. Then there is the guy that simply thinks the car is nice...wants to revive the barn car, relive the car they grew up with, resurrect the near dead at a price that doesn't negatively influence the family budget. IMO..the later group will care for and respect, rebuild the series for the survival of the car. The other groups see the car as an investment, a commodity, a tool.

Respect for each other will never occur for respect is earned not bought or achieved through assets.

I think the initial low prices are what attracted a few folks to these cars and that is also what has started to drive prices up, supply and demand. If I was to use a local analogy it would be XA XB GTs no one wanted them for along time everyone wanted XW XY GTs because they where the "last real GTs" even though XAs where faster to 100mph and quicker down the strip. When no one could afford XW XYs Hey XAs are kinda cool and they have all the same drive line with better brakes and suspension and they are a bargain, that didn't last long now most XAs are out of the price range of the average man. 7173s will follow because in many ways they are the best of the breed especially if your lucky enough to own a Boss 351 or 429 for those of us that don't well we get the same styling and basic combos its inevitable,and I guess not in our own interests to play down the value of our cars. It just may mean the end of cheap parts but the upshot would be greater access to repop parts and panels. Just my 2 cents gentlemen.
This is exactly correct Luke. I'm a huge fan of XA GT's (even back when they were unloved) but the price of these cars and parts are crazy these days. An XA GT hardtop for instance $60k will get you a half decent one that will need a few things done to it and $90-$100k gets you a really good one. The four doors around $40k gets you a half decent one that will need things done to it and $60-80k gets you a really good one, the if you're chasing an RPO 83, then add around another $40k on top of those prices, and all you get extra from a standard XA GT is a 780 cfm Holley, 2.25in HM headers and a heat shield for the slave cylinder, hardly worth an extra $40k, but people are paying those crazy prices for three extra parts that were fitted at the factory. After dismissing an XA GT because there was no way I was paying those crazy prices, the hunt was on too see what US cars I could find that ticked all the boxes I was looking for, plus I was adamant this time that I would buy a convertible. For just over $30k Aus I got pretty much what I was after, a heavily optioned 73 Q code convertible, heaps of documentation in fairly good condition that had just over 82 000 miles on the clock on the road and in my name, an absolute bargain compared to what it gets you for an Australian made equivalent (no Aus made convertibles) with the biggest plus of being a convertible. The other plus side in buying a U.S. made muscle cars is the price of parts compared to our Australian equivalent, for instance, I bought a full weather strip kit for the convertible for around $600 Aus delivered to my door. A full weather strip kit for my XA GS I'm restoring wil cost over $1000 and I'll have to pick it up. When we were looking at cars the last thing we were worried about was if it would increase in value, or it's collectibility in the future. The only thing that I cared about was, does this car tick all the boxes and how it looked and drove. Personally I really don't care if anyone else liked it or not, or if it would make me money or not, because we bought the car for us to enjoy for a very long time. The thing I find really sad these days is that the true enthusiast is being pushed out of the game, because people these days just see dollar signs and not the beauty of classic vehicles. I was recently talking to someone I know whose family has one of the biggest and best collections of former race cars and some unreal collector cars in the country, and said the exact same thing about the true enthusiast, not just about the price of the cars (as some of these owners had their cars since new) but the price of unknown second hand parts and repop parts of poor fit and quality, but also the older mechanics are now retired and finding someone to be able to work on these cars (and actually know what they are doing) is another thing again. One of the saddest things he told me was that if they are looking for a part, they'd have to get someone they know to do it for them, because if it's found out it's them looking for the part, then the price doubles or triples or whatever. So if we keep going like the way it's going, then the true enthusiasts are gone and the only people left with all these cars and parts are the ones just after a few bucks and then nobody wins.

Back