Any Tips for Installing New Door Weatherstrip

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE PONY

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
I'm ready to install new weatherstriping on the doors of my 73 Convert. This is the piece that starts at the bottom of the glass and goes down the side of the door, underneath the door then back up the front side of the door. There are 2 screws that hold it on at the front and four screws at the top of the back side of the door. The bottom of the door has a channel about 2/3's the length of the door in the center. The old weatherstrip had adhesive on it. The question is do you put the weatherstrip adhesive on the door, then install the weatherstrip or do you put the adhesive on the weatherstrip first then install. Any tips, I don't want to end up getting adhesive all over me or the new paint!

DSCF8215.jpg

DSCF8216.jpg

This is the channel on the bottom of the door:

DSCF8217.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm ready to install new weatherstriping on the doors of my 73 Convert. This is the piece that starts at the bottom of the glass and goes down the side of the door, underneath the door then back up the front side of the door. There are 2 screws that hold it on at the front and four screws at the top of the back side of the door. The bottom of the door has a channel about 2/3's the length of the door in the center. The old weatherstrip had adhesive on it. The question is do you put the weatherstrip adhesive on the door, then install the weatherstrip or do you put the adhesive on the weatherstrip first then install. Any tips, I don't want to end up getting adhesive all over me or the new paint!

DSCF8215.jpg

DSCF8216.jpg

This is the channel on the bottom of the door:

DSCF8217.jpg
First thing you want to do O P is do a dry run to make sure they fit...Then clean the glue area with wax & grease remover..I'm leaning towards NOT using the adhesive on mine..Instead I'm going to use a very strong...very thin.. 2 sided clear emblem adhesive tape..It's made by tremco who sells products to the auto body trade..I can snap a shot of it tomorrow..But if you do use the adhesive applying it on the door side would be my first choice..Keep some wax & grease remover handy for any mishaps

Scott,

How did the tape you mentioned workout? If it turned out pretty well can you post the actual tape name and part number. 3M adhesive tube stuff makes an absolute mess.

I had a side conversation with Scott( Q code). He ended up using the 3M tube stuff. A few things I learned was that if you're going to use that stuff you want to scuff the back of the weather stripping to help adherence. When I tried using it it was a pain in the ass and a mess to work with. I pulled it off and it peeled right off of my weather stripping and that's where I read about stuffing it up first.

I had another question. In the pics below I could actually glew the door weather stripping on two sides but I'm not sure if that's correct. Should I glue it on the back and on the side or just on the back? I'm worried that if I do it on the side that as the door shuts it off slowly tear It off and I don't have my old stuff to check?

20161213_052908.jpg

20161213_052855.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OLE PONY,

I was looking more specifically on what size and where you put the adhesive on the weather stripping and door? There are two possible sides that the weather stripping can make contact with the door as I show in the picture above the back of the door and the side of the inner door? I know it would go on the back of the door but I'm worried if I glued on the side of the inner door that as the weatherstripping compresses it will actually pull it off the side of the inner door.

Back