4R70W Conversion Tips How To

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InjectedMach

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1
2011 Grand Sport Corvette
2008 Toyota Tundra Crewmax
Hello All,

Here are some of the tricks I use to simplify the 4R70W computer controlled transmission installation into the 71 to 73 cars(same exact procedure for 67-70 as well).

I have posted several pics with descriptions in my photobucket folder found here

http://s1081.photobucket.com/user/Joepersad1/library/

go to my library and under each pic is a description of the image which speaks to installation and what you are seeing.

for those with 351C engines the oem h pipe from the Mustang suppliers fits PERFECTLY, those with 302/351W will have to do exhaust shop work.

I am unable to photo the shift rod installed because its barely visible in the tunnel but is self explanatory as far as installation.

To set the shifter position correctly: attach the round end(of the shift rod) to the trans arm and tighten retaining floater nut. Attach the slotted end on shift lever that goes into the car but dont tighten it yet.. Set the trans by hand to neutral (3 clicks back from full forward) and put your shifter lever in neutral also. Now look at the Baumann controller readout and verify the trans thinks is in neutral also or move the range selector switch (bolt holes are slightly slotted to allow this adjustment) slightly until it does then snug down the 2 retaining nuts that hold it to the trans body. Now snug down the shift rod nut as well and to verify proper operation go through all the gears with the controller and it should correspond with your gear selection. The bushings have to be in good condition if the shift arm is sloppy you MUST fix it first.

Hope this helps a little, will expand with more info as we go forward with questions,

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah Now I see how you reversed the shift pattern on the tranny to match the stock shifter...Joe do you have tables you have written for the baumann controller ? Would be curious to take a peek & compare to mine.

Its in my laptop will power it up and try to do some screen shots for you but cant promise it will come out good enough to read

joe

Hello All,

Here are some of the tricks I use to simplify the 4R70W computer controlled transmission installation into the 71 to 73 cars(same exact procedure for 67-70 as well).

I have posted several pics with descriptions in my photobucket folder found here

go to my library and under each pic is a description of the image which speaks to installation and what you are seeing.

for those with 351C engines the oem h pipe from the Mustang suppliers fits PERFECTLY, those with 302/351W will have to do exhaust shop work.

I am unable to photo the shift rod installed because its barely visible in the tunnel but is self explanatory as far as installation.

To set the shifter position correctly: attach the round end(of the shift rod) to the trans arm and tighten retaining floater nut. Attach the slotted end on shift lever that goes into the car but dont tighten it yet.. Set the trans by hand to neutral (3 clicks back from full forward) and put your shifter lever in neutral also. Now look at the Baumann controller readout and verify the trans thinks is in neutral also or move the range selector switch (bolt holes are slightly slotted to allow this adjustment) slightly until it does then snug down the 2 retaining nuts that hold it to the trans body. Now snug down the shift rod nut as well and to verify proper operation go through all the gears with the controller and it should correspond with your gear selection. The bushings have to be in good condition if the shift arm is sloppy you MUST fix it first.

Hope this helps a little, will expand with more info as we go forward with questions,

Joe
I'm attaching a couple of pics of Joe's shift sensor bracket installed. I just got some nylon bushing and some recessed skews from Lowe's to finish it up. I want to give a shout out to Qcode for all his support and guidance offline.

sensor1.jpg

sensor2.jpg

I'm attaching a couple of pics of Joe's shift sensor bracket installed. I just got some nylon bushing and some recessed skews from Lowe's to finish it up. I want to give a shout out to Qcode for all his support and guidance offline.
Looks Great ! Keep at it ! My pleasure..Been a bit busy here which is why I haven't posted much in the last few weeks. Can't wait to see it installed programed.

I've got another great tip for those installing a 4R70W into a '71-73.

If you're running an aftermarket shifter, such as a B&M Megashifter or something like that which uses a cable for shift linkage, B&M also makes part number 40504 which greatly simplifies a retrofit installation.

For out of the box crossmembers that fit perfectly, the Ron Morris part for Tremec 3550 does the trick. Use Prothane 6-1605BL for the transmission mount.

For driveshafts, a 52.0" shaft will work nicely.

For 4R70W dipsticks, the Lokar TD-3AODTM part fits the 4R transmission well and seals equally well too.

For flexplates, the B&M 50337 or 50338 SFI flexplates do the trick, depending on whether you need 28 oz or 50 oz imbalance.

I must sound like a B&M advertisement!

Ran into another snag. Bought the baumann US shift controller and their Edlebrook throttle positioning sensor.the problem is that the airbox doesn't fit with the sensor on. What TSP are the 4r70w guys using and how's the clearance?

I'm using a Borg Warner TPS part for a stock '89-93 5.0 Mustang, but I'm using an 80mm throttle body attached an Edelbrock Victor EFI intake.

Hello All,

Joe

Also,

A BIG BIG thanks to Joe for providing a kit that makes the 4r70w bolt-on simple!! That and all the technical support he provides is worth every penny!!
I finally got around to putting in Joe's shifter rod that lets you use your stock shifter. I made the mistake of trying to tweak it and changed the angle so it wouldn't work. Joe helped me through it and sent me a new one free of charge. The trick is to start in nuetral when you tighten it as Joe's directions state above! All together the install went very smooth. I have the controller mostly hooked up but the car is months from startup. updates to come.

OK now Im just glad to help and I believe in standing behind my word(and products).

Back