Starter starts as soon as I turn key

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang fastback,{mine} 74 Chevy Nova {girlfriends car}
2001 Sunfire that is falling apart haha.
Ok engine works fine but as soon as I turn the key the engine turns over and when I go all the way as if to start it stops .I changed the starter solenoid same thing.I had taken pictures of the starter set up before I took the engine apart and it is wired the same way.I know some after market solenoids are reversed so I tried that.Same thing.I did attach my tach to the sterring colum could I have gone through a wire and screw something up.The only other thing different is my shifter but I don't see what that could do the back up and Park neutral switches all work.

I recall a similar problem years ago which turned out to be a bad ballast resistor. The problem cropped up without any apparent symptom. Might be something to check.

Hope this helps.

BT

I recall a similar problem years ago which turned out to be a bad ballast resistor. The problem cropped up without any apparent symptom. Might be something to check.

Hope this helps.

BT
where would that be and what is it hahaha.worse thing is the car started fine when we took the engine out.I can't see what could have changed.

It is usually mounted next to the starter solenoid near the battery. My '73 has an electronic resistor that is labeled as such. I am not sure if the '72 has the same as on some vehicles, it is not electronic.

The resistor's job is to limit voltage to the coil. You get 12 volts while cranking and the resistor drops it to lower voltage once it goes to start/run.

You can use a meter to check. Hook it to the primary side of the coil and have someone crank the car. It should show 12 volts while cranking and if it still shows 12 volts when it goes to the run position, it is most probably the ballast resistor that is at fault.

If that is the case, you can get the resistor from any of the parts stores (Autozone, NAPA, Advance, etc.). They are not that expensive.

Hope this helps.

BT

I just want to make sure you understand me .

when I turn the key I do not go to the start position just so there is power to the lights and radio and it starts.But when I turn the key to the start position {all the way to the end}the engine stops turning over.So i seem to be getting power to the starter before I should and none when there should be.

Remove the tach and see if it will work. I take that you mounted it to the column.You might have nicked or broked a wire.
that was what i was thinking I did remove it but I might have to open up the steering column because it was still doing it after.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so here is a pic of the wiring on the solenoid tell me if you see something wrong .Please not that as soon as the key is turned small connectors in the front are live.The extra red wire is from my Petronix Second Strike

2008_0829engine0004.JPG

I just checked mine. With the key in the On position. As in your pic the one on the right has power. The one on the left doesn't
both of mine are live think I'll have to bring it to someone with a little more knowledge than me hahaha

Back