Spray paint ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang H Code Mach 1

Take me to school. What do we think of spray paint? I come from a time when spray paint was a little more than a joke. I went on poorly then flaked off readily and was considered taboo for use on "good" cars. Nowadays, I see a lotta people using it but I'm still unsure about using it on any worthy project. Any thoughts?

I would'nt paint a car with a spray paint.. :D But smaller parts like brackets for the engine, interior stuff and so on.. It's fine for things like that, actually you can get a pretty good result with spray paint if you know how to do it right.. :) But of course a spray pistol or what you call it will allways be the best.. :)

Hey 72,

Could you take this little Aussie guy to school, and tell me exactly what Spray Paint is, in what you are referring to. :huh::huh: I must have missed something!

BTW - Glasurit ain't what it used to be!:s:s

Greg.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you take this little Aussie guy to school, and tell me exactly what Spray Paint is, in what you are referring to. :huh::huh: I must have missed something!
Paint in an aerosol can without hardener. The stuff you can buy at hardware stores in the US.

The-best-spray-paint-to-use-to-paint-furniture_thumb.jpg

-Kurt

Paint in an aerosol can without hardener. The stuff you can buy at hardware stores in the US.

The-best-spray-paint-to-use-to-paint-furniture_thumb.jpg

-Kurt
Aaaaahhhhhhhhhh! Thank you Kurt. We must speak a different language here in Oz.:p

OK............ My opinion if i may. Only good for fiddly little paint jobs.

WHY?

Because the pressure in your average spray can is weak, therefore to propel and atomise the actual paint from the can means that the ratio of actual paint to solvents is poor.There is too much solvent in the mix. The final paint medium that leaves the can is too thin.

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM WITH THIN PAINT? Coverage is poor, too many coats are required to get a decent paint film build, too much solvent means you stand to get more paint reaction problems when applying. So the quality of the paint is fairly good, depending on brand of course, but the paint has no body or guts to it, and is only good for the little small jobs, or retouching small parts of a job already done before.Single pak lacquers and quick dry enamels have a limited durability as well, compared to 2Pak paints. The exception would be in heat resistant paints from spray cans, but again your paint is thin compared to shooting the same product from a gun. There is no substitute to shooting from a proper gun and compressor. In Australia, we call them pressure pak or aerosol spray tins/cans. Lesson over '72.:p

I used it on small parts and things I don't mind retouching. When I did the engine compartment I went to a local paint store and they set up us with good primer, paint, prep stuff (very important) and a breathing mask (even more important). Used a compressor and after about 20 years it still looks good and even.

Spray paint never looks good when used on a large flat area.

I did use spray paint on my center cluster. After LOTS of prep it has also held up well.

Prep is always the key.

depends on what your expectation are.

I've spray painted many cars, if the prep is right the paint holds up just fine.

i spray painted my 72 mach 1 just to make it look decent since i'm not anywhere near ready for a 20K paint job.

yes you do burn through a LOT of spray paint to make coverage. takes a while to dry as well, buffs out just fine.

I used Krylon Sunshine Yellow and Clearcoat :), and semi flat black for the accents.

the hood is a replacement with the dynacorn black rust prevent PC coating and i buffed it out so it looks like Semi Gloss.

i painted this 10 years ago now in my driveway, no its not perfect but who cares it beats Rust and primer.

depends on what your expectation are.

I've spray painted many cars, if the prep is right the paint holds up just fine.

i spray painted my 72 mach 1 just to make it look decent since i'm not anywhere near ready for a 20K paint job.

yes you do burn through a LOT of spray paint to make coverage. takes a while to dry as well, buffs out just fine.

I used Krylon Sunshine Yellow and Clearcoat :), and semi flat black for the accents.

the hood is a replacement with the dynacorn black rust prevent PC coating and i buffed it out so it looks like Semi Gloss.

i painted this 10 years ago now in my driveway, no its not perfect but who cares it beats Rust and primer.

Did you paint them with spray cans or a spraygun and compressor? I'm surprised you didn't decide to kit yourself up with a couple of cheap sprayguns and a compressor Sir. You certainly chose the much harder, longer way to paint your car/cars.

That's a nice job for a spray can job. I'm sure some fine color sanding and polishing was in order.

I tried it once to temp my car till I could afford to have someone do it but I didn't like the result. I put a car cover on it over last winter and the elastic straps chipped the paint right off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alrighty then, I wasn't and wouldn't even considering using it on the body, however, it looks pretty good on that car. Thank you all for your input I think I might have been looking for the easy road on miscellaneous stuff but I think I'll go ahead and do everything in "real" paint. (lack of a better term at the moment) I've used Imron and other urethanes a lot on cars and planes but am going to have to ramp up and learn the newer systems. Dupont products are almost non-existent around here anymore; PPG has taken over that market. I think I'll pop down to the PPG store and start warming those guys up with my intent and make a shopping list. Thanks for your thoughts!

Alrighty then, I wasn't and wouldn't even considering using it on the body, however, it looks pretty good on that car. Thank you all for your input I think I might have been looking for the easy road on miscellaneous stuff but I think I'll go ahead and do everything in "real" paint. (lack of a better term at the moment) I've used Imron and other urethanes a lot on cars and planes but am going to have to ramp up and learn the newer systems. Dupont products are almost non-existent around here anymore; PPG has taken over that market. I think I'll pop down to the PPG store and start warming those guys up with my intent and make a shopping list. Thanks for your thoughts!
Go PPG, I love the stuff. You won't go wrong. Don't use waterbased basecoats. Stick to solvent based.

Back