Mangled car names...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

A recent poster referred to his car twice as a "March 1". Possibly an auto-correct issue, but over the years I've heard a few name-manglings.

Has anyone ever called your car a "Mark 1"? I've heard that one plenty.

How about "Boss Mach"? Or "Mach GT"?

Hi Kit,

I've been asked if my '73 Vert is a Mach 1, a few times, but i can't recall anyone saying it was straight out.

However, you might be running a company called Dodgy Classic Muscle Cars, and ask another $15,000 on top because Ford only did a limited

production run of 200 '73 Mach 1 Convertibles.:D:D:D:D

Greg.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard the term "Mach 1 Boss." I've heard "Boss Three Five One." I've heard "Match 1." I've even heard "Boss 429 Mach 1."

Never heard "March 1," though... until now, that is. ;) :p

I believe it does. ;)

Mistaken for a Javelin, I guess could be an honest mistake from a near-sighted person. But calling it a Camaro - well now... that's just mean. :D

oh when i used to go to general car shows the nuts would come out.

"I HAD YOUR CAR BRAN NEW FROM THE FORD DEALER IN 1981! She had a 351 Winsor from the factory and ram air on a 6bbl. the Mark 2s didn't have that stripey thing on your sides though only the Granada had those. I see you have after market A/C installed, you know ford never made these Mark 2s with A/C because the Winsor engine was so big there was no room under the hood for the compressor." <-- this conversation happened and went on for 10 more minutes where the guy then started to compare the color of my car to puke yellow, and magnum 500s were never sold on ford cars only mopars. he managed to get a group of my ford mustang club that was at the show with me sitting around and listening in silence, we clapped when he left to go see something else. i never told him i was the owner i just sat there and had crazy entertain me for a while.

At a Exxon gas station about 15 years ago I was stopped because my "FERRARI" gained a crowd and i had a group of people asking me a ton of questions about my awesome fire engine red "FERRARI".

i was driving my 'Passion Red' 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL.

Oh wow... I don't know that I could do so well holding in the urge to correct and eventually argue with the guy. :angel:

I think I'm going to try and do that "walk-around pretending not to be the owner" thing at the car show next month. Oooh - I know: I'll park it next to the Jeep, and hang out by the Jeep all day. Everybody knows the Jeep is mine, so that could work. It sounds like my wife might actually go to the car show this year, so I'll let everybody think it's hers. Hehehehe!!

I feel like I retain a lot of car-related facts, specifically those related to Mustangs. That being said, I have no way of knowing if what I've heard or read is true, so I'm careful to phrase statements and structure debates in non-absolutes as I don't like sounding like a know-it-all.

What infuriates me is people who spout facts that can't possibly be valid or are so outlandish as to be comical, and persist to defend them when you don't accept them as gospel!

I am not a Mustang expert by any stretch, and have been wrong before. And, I've been around automotive long enough to know that assembly plants and vehicle engineering are both notorious for selectively following their own rules, leading to all kinds of anomalies rolling off the end of the line that shouldn't be physically possible. Things are much better controlled now at assembly plants, I can't imagine the things that went on 40 years ago...

Well I really hate our Mustangs to be called Clydesdales, but a while back, two of my very good Mexican-American friends were calling my Boss a "Moosestang" :dodgy:

I know if was a simple cultural/accent pronounciation mistake but between that and them trying to say it was a "Match One" - I had to help them learn the right stuff. Now they just call it the Boss! :D "Grande" was no problemo! :)

We agreed that we were all just a bunch of pendejos and then went to lunch to eat some Kweezadillahs!! :p

Ray

Yep sure enough. I've heard most of those, even got the Camaro id before. So it is my policy to only allow rich people and automotive genius' to talk to me about my car.
Leaves me out - x2! :) But I have been re-reading all the back issues of Mustang Monthly - they never make a mistake! :rolleyes:

oops... :p

Ray

what i love most about the constant variations of what my car is and what year it is:

1) it says Mustang on my car in 2 places. i guess its hard to know who makes a mustang after 50 years in production.

2) it says MACH 1 on my car in 3 places.

3) My license plate says 1972 mustang on it front and back.

never fails, guy comes up to the car, and starts reading very slow. Mooosang.. maskgang.. mickey 1? HEY YOUNG MAN WHAT IS THIS CAR? and GET OFF MY LAWN! or i get tailgated and people honking at me then they pull up next to me at a stop light, HEY WHAT YEAR IS THAT DODGE CHARGER?

the best was at a stop light a couple pull up next to me in a huge Chevrolet Tahoe. They signal me to roll the driver's window down, I have A/C it is lovely, the guy then starts yelling from his driver's seat across his wife's/girlfriends face about how i chopped that car and made the roof lower. I'm staring up at Mount Everest and doing my best to yell nope that is how they built them in the 70s. and he's screaming NO,NO YOU CHOPPED THE ROOF, I KNOW IT!...

Light turned green i floored it, then took the first right as fast as i possibly could without wrecking.

mostly it doesn't phase me unless you run into scary crazy people, what i love is people really have no clue what the car is half the time and that makes it special because it isn't main stream.

Yep sure enough. I've heard most of those, even got the Camaro id before. So it is my policy to only allow rich people and automotive genius' to talk to me about my car.
Leaves me out - x2! :) But I have been re-reading all the back issues of Mustang Monthly - they never make a mistake! :rolleyes:

oops... :p

Ray
see thar ya go... two good reasons for me not to stop by and say hello when I'm working up there. you just don't have enough money to talk to me. rofl

Well I really hate our Mustangs to be called Clydesdales, but a while back, two of my very good Mexican-American friends were calling my Boss a "Moosestang" :dodgy:

I know if was a simple cultural/accent pronounciation mistake but between that and them trying to say it was a "Match One" - I had to help them learn the right stuff. Now they just call it the Boss! :D "Grande" was no problemo! :)

We agreed that we were all just a bunch of pendejos and then went to lunch to eat some Kweezadillahs!! :p

Ray
Well honestly, I kinda like the term "Clydesdale." I immediately think of the Budweiser team and how much respect and admiration they command. Besides, it beats most of the other things we hear, don't you agree? ;) :D

"Moo-Stang." Yeah... that's what I used to call my '82 Fox-body when the PSF got too low. rofl

MoooshTAng ....one of my all time favorites from tha Mezikins. But I like it, I just smile and say yep sure is. quite often the next thing is "bet its hard to see out of"..... again I smile and say yep. Most of the Mezikins although like being Catholic they prefer a Chebbie over a Ford... but most will compliment the car....then I have to ask them for credentials on car knowledge and financials to carry on a conversation:D.

Reminds me of when I taught sailing at Culver Summer Schools. About half the population was foreigners, and a good 75%-80% of the foreigners were Mexican.

OK, so the line used to control the sails are called sheets... the mainsheet controls the mainsail. So, I'm telling this poor Mexican kid who is having a hard time going anywhere: "Tighten up the sheet!" "Que" "The sheet! Grab the sheet!" The kid looks all over the boat and says, "But sir, dere eees no sheet on dees boat... eet is clean."

Reminds me of when I taught sailing at Culver Summer Schools. About half the population was foreigners, and a good 75%-80% of the foreigners were Mexican.

OK, so the line used to control the sails are called sheets... the mainsheet controls the mainsail. So, I'm telling this poor Mexican kid who is having a hard time going anywhere: "Tighten up the sheet!" "Que" "The sheet! Grab the sheet!" The kid looks all over the boat and says, "But sir, dere eees no sheet on dees boat... eet is clean."
:D:D:D

Back