Stange Seat Hinge Covers?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhvidston

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang conv 302
1973 Mustang conv 351
Greetings

Restoring a 71 Mach 1 and noticed I was missing one of the (red) plastic hinge covers between the seat and backrest, thought.. no problem..

I'll grab one of the several I keep on hand for my 71 and 73 converibles and spray dye it to match... that's when I found out that all my convertible seat hinge covers were SCREW on... the Mach covers did not have a screw but were pressed on into a larger hole via a molded

plastic knob on the inside of the cover... it's a clean look with no screw showing on the outside... is this original to Mach1's?

My car seems fairly original with 58.000 miles on it.

The interior assembly manual dated 12/16/71 shows a single screw retaining each cover. My 03/16/72 build date car had the single screw. "And that, is all I know about that." Chuck

The interior assembly manual dated 12/16/71 shows a single screw retaining each cover. My 03/16/72 build date car had the single screw. "And that, is all I know about that." Chuck
Thanks Chuck for the info.. I'm not sure what my build date is...

Attached are a couple pics of seat hinge and covers..

I think there is a Ford logo and part number on the back as well as the plastic knob that fits in the non-threaded hinge hole. (?)

Did coupes or fastbacks get this type.. anyone else seen these before?

hinge.jpeg

image.jpeg

There are three versions

first very early has just the push in pin

second [ still early 71 ] has push in pin with a screw - looks like a drywall anchor on the back.

last revision has just a screw holding it on

There are three versions

second [ still early 71 ] has push in pin with a screw - looks like a drywall anchor on the back.

Wow.. Thanks for shedding light on obscure trivia! I had no idea...

I'm attaching pics of the underside of cover... it shows the plastic knob, the part # and Ford oval logo,

Are replacements out there for what appears to be an early cover?

Thanks again Ohio!

Doug in Indy

There are three versions

I'm attaching pics of the underside of cover... it shows the plastic knob, the part # and Ford oval logo,

Thanks again Ohio!

Doug in Indy

There are three versions

Thanks again Ohio!

Doug in Indy

There are three versions

Thanks again Ohio!

Doug in Indy
IMG_1348.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The only ones being made are the last version with the screw.

The ones with no screw holes are extremly hard to find - I don't think many were made

The second version with the pin and screw tended to crack - plus they were limited in numbers too.

If you use a regular screw on on in the center position [ by trans tunnel ] it is not to noticeable - use 2 sided tape to mount it - fill the hole with epoxy or bondo and color it

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
The only ones being made are the last version with the screw.

The ones with no screw holes are extremly hard to find - I don't think many were made

The second version with the pin and screw tended to crack - plus they were limited in numbers too.

If you use a regular screw on on in the center position [ by trans tunnel ] it is not to noticeable - use 2 sided tape to mount it - fill the hole with epoxy or bondo and color it

Don
Excellent idea Don! Thanks Much!

Wow that's interesting I did not know of that little engineering change.

Back