Rear Bumper Guards

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73' Mustang Hardtop- 302 2v V8
Does anyone know where to get new chrome bumper guards? Mine are the originals sitting on a new chrome bumper and it just doesn't look right. Never mind the fact that the passenger side guard looks like someone deliberately starched it with a key. It has been like this since I got the car.

I didn't want to re-chrome them if I can find new parts because of the deep scratches. I am replacing my door handles too since all the body work was done this year with new paint. Doesn't look right when the door handles' chrome is peeling.

Rear__1411665817_98322.jpg

ALSO, should the trim around the brake lights be a dull metal look, or a shiny chrome finish like the bumper?

Does anyone know where to get new chrome bumper guards? Mine are the originals sitting on a new chrome bumper and it just doesn't look right. Never mind the fact that the passenger side guard looks like someone deliberately starched it with a key. It has been like this since I got the car.

I didn't want to re-chrome them if I can find new parts because of the deep scratches. I am replacing my door handles too since all the body work was done this year with new paint. Doesn't look right when the door handles' chrome is peeling.

ALSO, should the trim around the brake lights be a dull metal look, or a shiny chrome finish like the bumper?
No one makes new guards

Trim should be shinny - not as much as chrome because they are aluminum

I have new handles

Item #DH20-71R/L

71-73 EXTERIOR DOOR HANDLES

Pair of reproduction outer door handles. Handles will fit all 71, 72 and 73 Mustangs. Price: $51.95

Don

good luck on finding a prestine pair~i have been looking for as long as i had my mustang since 03. Finally got an average looking pair but not a 1 or 2 shape. I would have then cleaned up and a good chrome job.

71-73 EXTERIOR DOOR HANDLES

Pair of reproduction outer door handles. Handles will fit all 71, 72 and 73 Mustangs. Price: $51.95

Don

Wow that's cheap.. I already got my handles from cjpony with the pads for about $90..

So these guards are not factory? I have never seen them off the bumper, I wonder what that looks like. I'll have to google it.

I have never ordered from eBay before. I'm worried I'll get screwed somehow. How would I repair deep scratches before I got them chromed? Are they steel? (Hope it's not a dumb question lol)

Thanks everyone for your help I've been wanted to get new ones for a whole but couldn't find them.

Elizabeth73,

when ever you need parts, check with Don first, I have always had great luck with him.

I would chrome yours, there is a place in Fall River right off route 24 that is very good and very reasonable, I will have to look up the name, and get back to you.

Elizabeth73,

when ever you need parts, check with Don first, I have always had great luck with him.

I would chrome yours, there is a place in Fall River right off route 24 that is very good and very reasonable, I will have to look up the name, and get back to you.
I would re chrome mine but won't the deep scratches look terrible?

There is a place in providence ri called D&D chrome plating. Or I can go to my body shop and they will find someone.

Part of the re-chrome work should include stripping off the old chrome, repairing any scratches and pitting and application of new chrome. If they don't include that work, find another shop.

Elizabeth73

You could do one of two things,

1: Call D & D Chrome Plating and tell them what you have and the condition of the guards. Tell them condition of the guards with regards to the scratches. The process to prepare and re-chrome your guards should eliminate the scratches. Does not hurt to call and ask.

2: Get a good used set at a very reasonable price from either E-Bay, or a Forum member, and send them off to be chrome plated. Then you can have them install the re-chromed guards when you get them back and also have a spare set.

+ 1 with Bill73Ragtop

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
eddyw,

Agreed! I have not seen any of the NOS guards lately.

mustang7173
Here they are...

-2 rear bumper guards and 1 rubber pad all NOS.

Some people told me:

When you have never before rear bumper guards on your Mustang, then you should have the matching rear bumper mounting brackets too.

(you can use the '71/'72 repro's only for a '73 without bumper guards)

Thanks , you guys are very helpful.

I am going to call this place and see what they will charge me, then I'll look for some online and compare prices. It will have to wait if it'll be over $100, gotta buy another car for winter

Back