Seats seem too high

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
The guy I bought the car from had everything pretty messed up seat wise.

So...

I recovered both original front seats, with new foams.

New seat tracks

New seat platforms, the old ones were all cut up to work with seats that should have not been in the car.

Sooo... With a 14" steering wheel, its pretty tight getting in on your knees, its not bad when youre settled in.

I thought maybe the steering column might be the issue, as in being too low,

Sitting in the car, there is very little room up top. I am 5'11" and my hair is just touching if I have good posture.

Any thoughts on what has gone wrong here???

I am 6 feet with 30 inch inseam and I sit too high as well.

Probably a body type thing.

So...

New seat tracks

New seat platforms, the old ones were all cut up to work with seats that should have not been in the car.

Sooo... With a 14" steering wheel, its pretty tight getting in on your knees, its not bad when youre settled in.

Sitting in the car, there is very little room up top. I am 5'11" and my hair is just touching if I have good posture.

i corrected that problem by installing a longer make shift track and a 4 way power seat from a 97 T-bird and found the+problem w/the passenger seat-the seat belt was bolted onto the seat tracl ie @ choosing inexperienced and or greedy help.

If you have a fastback and the seat pans were replaced, the repops are not made for fastbacks. They are for coupe and verts. The fastbacks pans are about an inch + shorter. So you may be sitting on coupe seat pans and its making you sit higher. I had the same trouble with mine till I cut them down and moved them back some for a little extra leg room.

So...

New seat tracks

I noticed the same with my car. I just chocked it up to not being as thin as I was 30 yrs ago.

If you have a fastback and the seat pans were replaced, the repops are not made for fastbacks. They are for coupe and verts. The fastbacks pans are about an inch + shorter. So you may be sitting on coupe seat pans and its making you sit higher.
BINGO :)

What is the measurement of the pan height. I will have the carpet removed next weekend and I will measure to see if some more work is required. Don't want my head rubbing the head liner. I did do a complete seat rebuild including foam and covers.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a fastback and the seat pans were replaced, the repops are not made for fastbacks. They are for coupe and verts. The fastbacks pans are about an inch + shorter. So you may be sitting on coupe seat pans and its making you sit higher. I had the same trouble with mine till I cut them down and moved them back some for a little extra leg room.
DANG!!! I really wish CJ Pony parts would tell you that... Awesome info

Still no measurements. How high is the pan supposed to be? wouldn't that affect the carpet fit as well?

My seats seem like they are mounted a little high also. Mine were just redone but here lately I've been pondering the idea of running some type of late model power seats that go up/down, back and forth are reclinable and look like they belong there with integrated switches.

I am running into the same issue, I bought the new platforms, and they are higher. Can anyone that has modified them chime in and let us know how you made them work? Can they be welded in as is if I can tolerate a little more height. I am 6' 1" tall and dont want any problems getting into my car. Not to mention carpet fit.:huh:

Friend of mine had a 71 Coupe and the seats were so high that you could hardly turn the stock steering wheel in a complete circle because it would be pressed against your legs.

No spacers or anything under the seats.

now, in my convertible there are half inch spacers under the seats and I have a hand's width in between my legs and the steering wheel.

Weird!

New seat buns ( foam) will definitely raise you up a noticeable amount. When installing the new covets to new buns, you must pull the listing wires HARD down into the frame when attaching to the seat frame. This will compress the foam and allow a more "compact" fit. There can be as much as 2-3" difference in sitting height depending on how the covers were installed.

This is just advice for the seat bottoms. On the seat backs, don't pull the listing wires as tight, or it will leave a nasty wrinkle where the three textures of vinyl come together, at about the same height as where the seat buttons go. ( this is for the "Mach 1" seat covers with the vertical stripes).

I am 6'4" and had this head-hitting-the-headliner issue on mine after I redid the seats. I took them apart and reinstalled them as above, and everything was fine.

If your 6'1" then definitely cut them down before installing them. I even moved mine back 2-3 inches for more leg room. And as LUX said, my legs were hitting the steering wheel after new cushions and seat pans. Cut em down, move em back, and enjoy the ride.

The convertibles actually have more head room since they are lacking the hanging headliner.

Swapping in a tilt steering was a big help for me. I am 6ft 4in and parked in the garage with those long doors it can be a bit of a chore to get into or out of the car without smacking the door on my wife's car.

SEAT FOAM

All aftermarket seat foam for all mustangs is thicker [taller] and firmer than factory except for one which is from American Cushion Industries which is sold by National Parts Depot. Their foam is virtually perfect in every way.

Back