429 Megasite

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang Mach 1, 429CJ, J Code SOLD 3/2016

1971 Boss 351 Mustang
Medium Yellow Gold
From Kim Miller Collection
I have been trying since I purchased my car to get it on the 429 Megasite Registry with no luck. I sent in the information sheet and a photo but no luck getting it on.

I was able to find out from "Scotty", whose email address is on the site, that there are 334 429 Mustangs registered on the site. However. The site is fairly dormant and apparently will never be updated with anymore documented 429 cars.

I think this is a shame that a one year only Mustang which is rare does not get the respect it deserves as Fords last effort to keep the muscle car alive. Where are those 334 429 Mustangs now? Did all those owners just lose interest or perhaps sell their cars?

Well, I at least know where one of them is. It's still in Kit's garage! His car is one of the 334 cars registered on the 429 Megasite Registry.

Would it be possible to seperate the Boss 351's and the 429 cars on this registry so they would be easier to find and keep track of? Just a thought.

Hey mike if I am not mistaken, my car is number 334 on the site.

Rozz
Rozz,

How do you know? Did you register it or did you buy it from someone that owned it back when the site was active?

Sure wished they would get active again. Scotty told me they don't believe the information on the site is that reliable and further stated other sources on the internet were far better. I have yet to find what he is talking about as far as a better site for the 429 Mustangs.

The info on the 429 megasite is only anecdotal...not factual. Thier info is gathered from current members existing cars and with a little intuition the facts are extrapolated from that. There are sure to be some innaccuracies.

I think it is a pretty awesome collection of info about the 429 Mustangs, as long as you understand a more accurate source may appear at a later date.

Kit you are right own.

Mike when I made contact with Scotty about 1 1/2 years ago and he told me the same thing, site was not active at all. He did research my vin number and a couple of weeks later he replied my car was not registered. Asked me to send in the info and a picture. He told me I was going to be number 334 but, I sure would like to see something that shows the vin #'s that are registered.

I do not know for sure he did anything at all with my info.

Kit you are right own.

Mike when I made contact with Scotty about 1 1/2 years ago and he told me the same thing, site was not active at all. He did research my vin number and a couple of weeks later he replied my car was not registered. Asked me to send in the info and a picture. He told me I was going to be number 334 but, I sure would like to see something that shows the vin #'s that are registered.

I do not know for sure he did anything at all with my info.
I know what you mean. If you are number 334 you would be the last one registered. It seems pointless if you can't view the VIN#s.

I never knew about the website "in search of mustangs. I joined that but have not tried to register my car yet. I did see that there are quite a few 429 cars registered bt VIN but little other information on them.

It's just another example of our cars being left out or considered unimportant. Just my 2 cents!

It seems the 429 Mach 1s are really only appreciated by the knowledgable Mustang enthusiasts...over the years I have run in to many "car guys" who were either surprised or shocked that a 429 ever came in this body style.

The rarity of them has prevented them from being seen often on the street over the years. It seems the legendary status and popularity of the 351 Cleveland has overshadowed all other engines from 71-73.

Most casual motor-heads are familiar with the 428 Cobra Jet, as well over 15,000 were installed in Mustangs and a couple other Fords for a few years. The poor 429 CJ/SCJ was only offerd from 70-71 from Ford in Torinos, Mustangs and a couple other cars...and in small numbers to boot. I am taking a wild-ass guess and say that probably less than 3 or 4 thousand 429 SC/SCJs were ever sold in total in all body styles. (some statistic-guru here will probably have the exact figure in .09634 seconds afeyr I post this).

Take the BOSS 351 for example: Even mildly-acquainted gear-jockeys will spout "Wow, those are rare, only 1806 ever made!"

429 CJ/ SCJ Mustangs? Much rarer...only around 1270 of those.

How about "R" code 351 HOs from '72? Even more rare...almost no casual fan has ever even heard of those.

As familiarity of the 429 Mustangs becomes more well known, coupled with the attrition rate of all muscle cars in general ours can only increase in value.

The undervalueing of 71-73 is in such a state right now that is actually a good thing long term. Cars that are restorable and have some rarity are being passed over by big-dollar restorers because of the lower finished value, so those cars are either driven further into the ground or just left to rot away without concern. Fewer 71-73s on the road every day.

A 69 428 drag pack mach 1 is easily worth $50-75,000 all day long in only fair condition. A decent 69 mach 1 will always be saleable for profit because everyone is familiar with the body style and the 428 engine. Low-content small block 69 machs get a nice bump in value by association. Very few 69 machs will be passed over by a big-bucks restorer. Therefore, the 69 mach's will probably never suffer much more attrition in numbers unless the car is a total basket case.

The poor old 71-73s are not there yet, and saveable examples are left to deteriorate further until they are not worth much anymore.

Our day is coming!

I already have mine, soi I'm ready for the light to shine on me!

Kit, I understand you are the original owner (very nice). Is your car all original?

Cj or Scj (J Code)?

Do you drive it or do you just look at it in the garage.

I understand that ford only put 815 or so in the mustang, is that about right?

My j code only goes on short drives, while my 73 well that's a different story.

Your right. The 1806 number is burned in most people that know the 71-73's even though the 429's were made in fewer numbers.

The 69 Mach's will always be collected because it was the first year of the Mach 1. However, the 71 429 Mach 1 is both a first and a last year which you would think, ify you use car guy logic, that the car would be even more collectable. But so far, not quite there.

I really wonder sometimes why I even care! My car pleases me because it was the car I had when I was young. If it had turned out to be a six figure car I likely would have just settled for a nice 69 RS SS Camaro. No offence to die hard Ford guys but the 67 RS Camaro was my very first car but not my favorite. I have to admit that I never knew the 71 Mach 1 had the 429 engine option. Did not know about it until about 10 years ago when I started checking out these old 71-73 Mustangs.

When I got serious about buying a 71 I planned to either buy a 429 car or the Boss 351. Looking closer when I learned that the Boss did not come with the Selectaire option I quickly ruled it out since I live in Houston, TX! I did not buy the car to hold and make money. But I do think the car will hold its value more than the previously described Camaro.

I plan to continue to show my car, meet lots of nice people, enjoy looking at other cool cars from my past and just enjoy the rest of my life.

Kit, I understand you are the original owner (very nice). Is your car all original?

Cj or Scj (J Code)?

Rozz,

Right on the 815 429's with a C-6. I drive mine lots of places. It had 750 miles on it since it was restored in 2003. I am responsible for about another 300 so far. I don't believe in saving it for the next guy but I will take good care of it until he gets it one day in the future!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cj or Scj (J Code)?

My car is a "J" code, C-6 car.

Let's see, do I drive it or does it sit in the garage? As of today it has 355,000 milrs on it. I drive it as often as I can, although I retired it from daily-driver status back in 1998. Now I put about 3-5000 miles a year on it. I have no reservations about hopping in for a 500 mile trip if it comes up. I live in Cocoa Beach and the wife and I will take it Jacksonville to visit my daughtet ocasionally. Thats about 450miles round trip. I took it to South Beach Miami two weeks ago...another 400 miles round trip. Gets about 16 mpg at 70 mpg, so it costs a little but so what? If have one, why not enjoy it?

Is it "all original"? In a word...no.

Not even close.

Over the years I have had eight serious crashes in the car, most of them bad enough to send it to the junkyard for most vehicles. But I just kept fixing it back up. It is really "Frankensteined" together now, from any parts and repairs I could find and afford ovdr the years. The entire dog house ( front clip) was replaced with a junk-yard '72 clip after I smashed into a concrete busstop bench racing a Trans Am back in '79 on Hammerly at Gessner in Houston. One of several stupid hings I did in the car "back in the day".

Many spot repairs and eight full paint jobs over the years...each with full decals put back on.

So many things have been replaced over the years I forgot some of them.

But the car has always been with me, never let me down and stranded me (except for the crashes).

The old legend is that a real cowboy dies with his trusty, worn-out old boots on. Someone once said to me " your'e going to be wearing that car the day you die", and ever since then it's name has been "Old Boots".

My car is much more valuable than a low-mileage perfect garage queen thats lives its life under flourescent lights, never to be driven.

My car is my trusty old pal, always ready to do whatever I want to do with it. That is the real value to me.

Thats why I like this site...to see older enthusiasts who "get it" like I do,and younger ones who are on thier way to getting there.

Your right. The 1806 number is burned in most people that know the 71-73's even though the 429's were made in fewer numbers.

The 69 Mach's will always be collected because it was the first year of the Mach 1. However, the 71 429 Mach 1 is both a first and a last year which you would think, ify you use car guy logic, that the car would be even more collectable. But so far, not quite there.

I really wonder sometimes why I even care! My car pleases me because it was the car I had when I was young. If it had turned out to be a six figure car I likely would have just settled for a nice 69 RS SS Camaro. No offence to die hard Ford guys but the 67 RS Camaro was my very first car but not my favorite. I have to admit that I never knew the 71 Mach 1 had the 429 engine option. Did not know about it until about 10 years ago when I started checking out these old 71-73 Mustangs.

When I got serious about buying a 71 I planned to either buy a 429 car or the Boss 351. Looking closer when I learned that the Boss did not come with the Selectaire option I quickly ruled it out since I live in Houston, TX! I did not buy the car to hold and make money. But I do think the car will hold its value more than the previously described Camaro.

I plan to continue to show my car, meet lots of nice people, enjoy looking at other cool cars from my past and just enjoy the rest of my life.

Cj or Scj (J Code)?

Rozz,

Right on the 815 429's with a C-6. I drive mine lots of places. It had 750 miles on it since it was restored in 2003. I am responsible for about another 300 so far. I don't believe in saving it for the next guy but I will take good care of it until he gets it one day in the future!
Mike

We live way to close to each other to not get together and check out these cars. Mine has never been touched yet but, that will change soon I hope. Do you and the wife ever come to austin? If not then we need to make a plan.

Tim

Cj or Scj (J Code)?

Rozz,

Mike

We live way to close to each other to not get together and check out these cars. Mine has never been touched yet but, that will change soon I hope. Do you and the wife ever come to austin? If not then we need to make a plan.

Tim
Tim,

Sent you a PM. Just noticed your name is Tim and not Rozz! Forgive that.

Mike

The 429 Megasite has been down for about a week.  Seems as if it went *POOF*.

Yes... I saw this as well yesterday. I was around and was one of the original core group who started connecting on these cars in the early 90's. One thing led to another and a gentleman named John Blair put together the hosting of this 429 site site on the internet around '95. John was also a current Dearborn Ford employee, so he had great connections. From there it grew with very knowledgable '71 enthusiasts contributing over the years. 

I cringe at some of the comments in this thread stating that much of the info on the 429 site may not be accurate. BS... I can assure all that before the information was added to the site by John, it was vetted by many. Waivers were always added if the info could not be confirmed one way or the other... The majority of the information on that site was accurate. Was it perfect?, no one can say for sure because you had to work on the assembly line back in the day to be able to speak with true authority... But it became the authority for the '71 429 Mustangs and Cougars, to this day no other site comes close.

John was funding the hosting of this site with his own money for years. We contributed to help him pay the costs. John's health became an issue a number of years back and that is when the site started to falter. Many original members also moved on and sold their cars or other more important things in life took precedent over time.

It was a great site, lots of good info not only for the BB '71s, but 71-3's in general.

I hope it comes back, because I personally put much faith in the majority of what is on this site, in comparison to the continual jibberish emanating from the internet today...

Hopefully the data has been saved and if the 429 website doesn't resurrect it can find its way onto another website. I don't have a 429, but found useful information on the site.

It's back!!  Yay!!  I find the info there to be very detailed and informative.  There is nowhere that has more detailed info on 429 cars that I have found.

Back