73 Project (i have no idea what I am doing lol)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opethlike

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
Hi all,

I just picked up a 73 Mustang Project. It was already mostly taken apart, floor pans replaced, engine pulled. It came with a 429 (from what I gathered its a 71 model 429 with D0VE-C heads and a 2v intake.

I am a LITTLE over my head here to say the least, but I think with a little time, research, and effort I can get this car together and have something me and my boys can be proud of.

Here are some pics of what I have going:

23hul4g.jpg

429 Block

tafybk.jpg

n4tlko.jpg

2yoao2h.jpg

D0VE-C Heads

2yla8ev.jpg

2vwvgg9.jpg

I have piles and piles of parts, lots in duplicate

2jb6q7q.jpg

29d7amg.jpg

Bad spot, not sure how to tackle this:

974qdh.jpg

Looks like a nice car, looks to be in a good condition.. Have you decoded the door tag to see which year it is and what engine it came with from factory? Because if it's born with a 429, the year where it is build will be 1971 and not 1973.. :)

What are your plans with it? Just restore it back to the original condition? I can't wait to follow this, so nice that you are joining your sons into this! :) If you need any help to build the car like you want it, you will find everything you need in here.. It's the most perfect place to be if you have any questions, every one are ready to give some help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks protouringstang73,

The car itself is a 73, the motor is a 71 and from a Mercury passenger car I think. The car originally had a 351 I believe. I don't think the 429 was ever in it to be honest (it came in parts)

My plans are to make it a solid (almost) daily driver Mach 1 with some fun power but nothing over the top. I have most of the original interior pieces and glass so that is a big help, and I know a 429 never came in a 73 so I guess im not going for a complete and total by the book restoration (although I have had some people try to talk me out of putting the 429 in it).

Thanks, Mustang fans are like that in general , willing to help, and it sounds like this site is a good example of that! Glad I found it.

You have a long path ahead of you. I bought my 67 GT in boxes much like yours is. Be ready for a lot of trying to figure out what goes where and the hardware to connect them. I would get an AMK hardware catalog. If nothing else it helps you identify the correct bolts & nuts. I am not sure of your restoration goals (Fun driver, show car, or concourse correct) but the master hardware kits get you most everything you need without 50 trips to the store to get various quality and finishes on the bolts. AMK is a little pricey, but time has value as well. Welcome to the family and let us know when we can ever lend a hand. This is the most knowledgeable site for 71 - 73 mustang restoration.

Yes that is it. Like I said, it can get pricey to get every not and bolt from them, but the catalog is a great reference and the master kits can get you moving forward quickly.

Glad you have a project for you and your boys. This will become great memories as time goes by.

I would look for this assembly manual as well. Does OMS carry this?

assembly manual.JPG

Congrats and best of luck with the project. You have come to the right place for all kinds of help.

The rusted panel by the battery is typical and you can purchase that one panel by itself and have it welded in as a single piece. I think the panel itself sells for around $50.

Depending on your skill level and how much time and effort you want to put in, it may be better in the long run to find a 351 to drop in and not have to worry about all the implications of putting a big block in it.

Dont worry about what you dont know, ive only been on this sigh a few months and i have learned soooooo much i could not have even gotten my car this far with out these guys, theyre good people :)

As others have said don't bother with the 429..It's not what you want for a daily driver. The money it will cost you to have that motor rebuilt..then all the stuff your going to need to install it which includes all the 429 suspension specific parts too. You could have a brand new 351 crate motor & still have change left over. Sell the 429 put the money towards a 302 or 351 crate motor. Here's my build & what I did with my 429 car..Pulled it installed a 351

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-green-72-fastback-former-429-460

I also have a bunch of how to videos that may help you

http://www.youtube.com/user/fuzzenut/videos

As others have said don't bother with the 429..It's not what you want for a daily driver. The money it will cost you to have that motor rebuilt..then all the stuff your going to need to install it which includes all the 429 suspension specific parts too. You could have a brand new 351 crate motor & still have change left over. Sell the 429 put the money towards a 302 or 351 crate motor.
X2 on that!

opethlike, I do 99% of my own work whether it's right, wrong or somewhere in between.

My car came with a running and driving (but in need of rebuild) 351C-4V. It is currently halfway to a rolling shell, pretty similar to your car. Even the engine is now disassembled like your 460.

I have a completed, fresh 460/C6 sitting on a cart.

I also have a 302 and 351W that are complete low mileage junkyard takeouts.

At this point, the car will be getting the 351W (with some mild performance upgrades) installed on its maiden voyage. It just makes more sense to me with the goal of having a driver to use a known good engine that is in one piece to start and shake down the car with, even over the ready-to-go 460.

Sure, some are going to disagree, but that's just how it's gonna be in my case. I don't think I'll be sorry, especially knowing the fat block is sitting there just killin' time and not eating anything :D.

Also a point that I've been personally wrestling with for a long time... The (new) headers alone for the 460 would cost me about the same as I have invested the (carefully selected used) 302, 351W, two sets of headers, four intake manifolds and 4 assorted transmissions... combined.

Good luck with your car! Looks like a good foundation to start with. They are generally easy to work on and find parts for.

Enjoy!

I'm sorta happy my car originally a 302 car as the cost to maintain/build/find parts is cheap and easy.

Since I'm going for a daily driver status when I'm finished. #1 priority is reliability, and the Windsor has 40 years of production under its belt so that's good enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all,

So it seems like the general thought here is that the 351 would be easier to do, more reliable, cheaper? I am really moving carefully here as I don't have a lot of money to throw around so any and all advice is welcome. I want the car to be a fun driver, I am not concerned with racing it or anything like that, just want a safe , reliable, quick muscle car. Just hard to think about another motor with the big block sitting in the garage, but if getting it built would be GREATLY more expensive than the 351w, I may have to consider that.

Kinda torn here, the big block would be awesome to have in it. I already have a c6 (was originally with the 429 so I know the bell housing is right).

WOW, wait a min now... should the motor mounts be 414 dollars??!?

http://www.cjponyparts.com/motor-mount-kit-429-460-1971-1973/p/MMK5/

opethlike, I purchased a 1972 Mustang Coupe that came with three motors. 302, 302, and 351W. I opted for the 302 that looked in the best shape (the other 302 had a broken piston). I like it! Good performance, easy to put into the car, parts were cheap, and plenty of ebay and CL stuff to be found. Especially the pulleys and brackets to get the engine into the car. Then the exhaust mannifolds or headers are readily available for the 302 and no clearance issues.

I would search CL in your area and find a 302, even one from a truck works with an oil pan change. A run of the mill good 302 should be in the $500 range (provided it is documented in good shape or you can hear it run). Get the car running and concentrate on your other objectives like driving, stopping, appearance. Then you can comeback and work on the 429 as a future upgrade. I know in my case, that 351W is now in the wroks to replace the 302. But I still enjoy the 302 while I work on this plan!

Thanks all,

So it seems like the general thought here is that the 351 would be easier to do, more reliable, cheaper? I am really moving carefully here as I don't have a lot of money to throw around so any and all advice is welcome. I want the car to be a fun driver, I am not concerned with racing it or anything like that, just want a safe , reliable, quick muscle car. Just hard to think about another motor with the big block sitting in the garage, but if getting it built would be GREATLY more expensive than the 351w, I may have to consider that.

Kinda torn here, the big block would be awesome to have in it. I already have a c6 (was originally with the 429 so I know the bell housing is right).

WOW, wait a min now... should the motor mounts be 414 dollars??!?

http://www.cjponyparts.com/motor-mount-kit-429-460-1971-1973/p/MMK5/
The Crites mounts & crossmember will run 345.00 then you need the headers around 500.00 then the shift linkage..front & rear springs..better brakes..driveshaft..etc. your gonna spend close to 2k just to get it into the car..The only thing it's gonna do awsome is drive in a straight line thats about it..plan on about 5k or better to have that motor rebuilt by a good machine shop..Not only that you have no idea if that tranny is good or not so plan on a tranny rebuild..Would be a bummer to install it find out it's no good..then have to pull it..see where your headed with the 429 $$$$ Plan on about 10k or better by the time your done..looking at what you have in your pictures to start with.

Back