Bad news

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalfan302

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback
So just got my car back from the body shop with the laser test for the frame. so the guy tells me a fram can have 4mm of play give or take, my frame had 54 mm of butt fuckery. Now i need honest opinions should i part it and make up lost money or put tens of thousands of dollars in to the car.

So just got my car back from the body shop with the laser test for the frame. so the guy tells me a fram can have 4mm of play give or take, my frame had 54 mm of butt fuckery. Now i need honest opinions should i part it and make up lost money or put tens of thousands of dollars in to the car.
Did they give you a printout so you could see where the problem is ? Fords tolerance on these cars is 1/8" to 3/16" plus or minus. Which yes is about 4mm. There is a factory spec sheet for measuring the unibody. If they are using a laser setup then they should be able to pull put the unibody into spec with ease.

Your only talking about making a pull for over a tad over 2" which is nothing. I've pulled cars with over a 6" sway no problem. If it's in the front it's a piece of cake with the laser measuring system frame machine equipment. I used to charge $250.00 to set the car up then 75.00 per hour frame time..After disassemble which ran $50.00 per hour. You can save some coin by doing the disassemble they require.. ask them what needs to be removed for the pull. In my mind sounds like a days work after the disassemble. Should be around a $1000.00 all said & done..Well worth it if the rest of the car is in good shape

100_1310.JPG

Whats the condition of the car from a rust standpoint? Was the car in an accident that caused the need for the laser frame check, or did you just have sheet metal alignment issues? I have frame machine experience as well as being trained by Chief EZ Liner in Toledo Ohio. I would be glad to help with advice but need a bit more information. There are others (like "Q") on here that have body and frame experience as well and were all here to help if we can. Its a great bunch of people. Dennis

Back