Boring a 351c

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71ponymaster

Reaction score
My Car
We have two 1971 Mach I's we are putting together for our kids and 1972 Mustang Convertible we are looking to sell. That is all we have in this era.
My sons car is a #s matching m code

Motors been rebuilt before to .040 an is wore to .045

Im sure yall have heard bout the inconsistancy in these

Blocks an far u can go. I have access to a sonic tester

An am goin to my machine shop this eve. Just lookin to

See if any yall have got any experience w this an

Got any advice. Any will b very appreciated. Thx. Steve

Weve discussed sleevin. I have no experience there an am concerned bout reliability an longivity

Were plannin on it bein his daily driver

If keeping #matching is important then sleeve it. I cracked a bore and the machine shop sleeved it and the bore next to it. It works fine and I am running high compression and rev it pretty good.

New blocks might be available soon.

If done properly there is nothing wrong with sleeving but in the situation it is not cost effective. The M codes simply aren't that valuable. If it were a Boss or an HO it might be a different story. I would source a used standard bore block and bore it the minimum amount necessary to clean it up. Keep the old block in storage and let the next guy worry about it.

Find a machine shop that has, and knows how to properly calibrate and use, a sonic tester to see how thin the walls are (particular attention to the thrust sides). Even for a mild build about .080-.90 is a minimum for me. Sleeving all eight is a task for only the best machinists and is expensive (about $100 per hole labor, about $35-50 per sleeve, plus re-deck the block and check crank line bore). If done properly it will be better than new (less bore distortion and better ring seal). An option is a quasi-custom piston at +.045 or +.050. Diamond piston will do this and others as well. Still not cheap but less than sleeving all 8. Not matter what you do the the quality of the machine work must be spot on. Good luck on the build, Chuck

Thx to all. Were gonna sonic test all cylinders tonight

If we can verify theres still .100 all around we will have options maybe

Mine 351C-2V is bored out to .060" - no worries. I've let the engine run during cam break-in, ran it idling and all sorts of other tests to bring the temps up, and it hasn't seen anything over 200 yet (laser thermometer shooting in just about every place imaginable on the block, heads, water pump, intake, temp sensor, etc.). No forcing out of coolant, although I do have a burp bottle.

I also went with everything new - I'm sure the roller-everything options I went with have helped reduce friction (and friction-generated heat) greatly. The monster 7-blade fan probably hasn't hurt, either. The ceramic-coated headers is what gets me - I haven't seen any temps higher than 300 on the headers themselves - probably has something to do with the ceramic-coating, I'm sure. Things I've read about headers says this is not normal... but again, just idling vs. actual driving.

However, I have not yet had the car on the road (under load) with the engine compartment 100% sealed up (hood closed during normal driving conditions) - so I'm sure there will be a difference in temps when it's finally on the road.

If/when the engine's time comes due, I'll sleeve it then [if possible] as I trust my machine shop (so far, so good). If the engine grenades, I'll come up with another 351C block, and most likely will go with the exact same 2V set-up I have now - might go with Edelbrock heads though.

My opinion: I'm not entirely done formulating my opinion on .060" bores with my set-up, but I hafta say, "so far, so good." It seems like the overwhelmingly popular opinion is that Clevelands have are too thin-walled to survive anything over .040" - to which I say, "It depends on what you are going to use the engine for." If .060" was such a bad thing for the Cleveland's survival, then why do they have such a large selection of .060" parts for the Clevelands? I didn't have to "special order" my pistons or rings, after all - got 'em straight "off the shelf" from Summit Racing (no back-order... shipped the same day).

My theory is that the people with those opinions are wanting to race their Clevelands, so yeah - .060" might only be for short-term survivability in racing conditions... and makes perfect sense. But, just putt-putting down the road going to work or an occasional weekend outing - I'm willing to roll the dice. Worst case scenario: my 44-year-old engine that was seized up when I bought the car finally grenades - oh well. I'm not a racer... the car probably will never see over 100mph (well... maybe once or twice)... and I currently only roll about 6-7,000 miles/yr on my current daily driver. I like my odds. ;) :D

All,

Just out of curiosity, I had to look up to see what the average cost would be to prep and sleeve the entire 351C engine block.

Machine Shop Prices source: http://www.simonsbalancing.com/hpv8.html

Cleaning block = $50.00

Inspect for Cracks=$20.00

Pressure check=$50.00

Check line Bore=$30.00

Installing sleeve and finish to size (most cases) up to 4.060= $110.00 x 8 $880.00 ?? ****

Torque plates on blocks (add) (if available)=$70.00

Block decking (milling head surface) Square on BHJ Fixture= $125.00

Line Hone Block with original caps (unless burned, loose, or mismatched caps) =$90.00

Install cam bearings (plus parts) =$30.00

Install freeze plugs (plus parts) =$15.00

So far $480.00 to do the basic machining to ready for re-build. Now, I would assume that each cylinder is $110.00 for a total of $880.00 to re-sleeve the entire block?

So, are we looking a potential of $1360 to bring this cylinder Block back to standard bore and ready for rebuild?

Aussie High Nickel 351C Standard Bore =$499.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aussie-Ford-351-Cleveland-block-/271621905038?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

1971 72 73 351C COBRAJET 4 BOLT MAIN SHORT BLOCK in Pennsylvania -E-Bay= $1499.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-72-73-351C-COBRAJET-4-BOLT-MAIN-SHORT-BLOCK-D2AE-GA-1K29-PANTERA-MUSTANG-/390892322819?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5b02ff8003&vxp=mtr

More input!

mustang7173

Well from what ive read theres inconsistancy in the castings which variates how much u can bore w/o hitting a jacket. Ive read where jackets were hit at .040 over

Read where many are .060 over an runnin fine

Personally i agree w an earlier comment. Not sure an m code block is worth $1000 of machine work (at least at this point). If he redoes it later years he can decide to sleeve it

Either way were gonna sonic test it tonight an see what meat it has. How centered up all the casting is

Cooling wise im not too concerned. Gonna run an aluminum radiator an large 7 blade fan since daily driven. Hes young so i know shell see sum rrr's when cavin to pier pressure. Lmao

Well from what ive read theres inconsistancy in the castings which variates how much u can bore w/o hitting a jacket. Ive read where jackets were hit at .040 over

Read where many are .060 over an runnin fine

Personally i agree w an earlier comment. Not sure an m code block is worth $1000 of machine work (at least at this point). If he redoes it later years he can decide to sleeve it

Either way were gonna sonic test it tonight an see what meat it has. How centered up all the casting is

Cooling wise im not too concerned. Gonna run an aluminum radiator an large 7 blade fan since daily driven. Hes young so i know shell see sum rrr's when cavin to pier pressure. Lmao
Let us know what you find out and decide how to proceed. Chuck

Just like to add as well about the Australian blocks, that add is the biggest load of crap I've heard about these blocks. The only difference I have heard and been told about Aussie blocks is, apparently the Australian engineers modified the castings so that there was more "meat" in the bores and main bearing webs. Never ever heard that they are supposed to be higher in nickel content (maybe true, but doubt it) and no one else I know has either. The only thing you need to worry about with Australian blocks is the later blocks (79-82/84) had a smaller distributor shaft bore , from 13mm (early blocks) to 12.5mm in the later blocks. It's no big drama though just need to bore it out before assembly (have seen this done more than once) or use the smaller shaft dizzy. Also I have personally bored Australian blocks to .030 that have gone through to the water jackets, so just because it's an Australian block means sweet f/a. Sonic testing (as long as the operator is competent) is the only way to go on Clevo blocks now as they are at the very least 30 years old now. As for sleeving a block, absolutely nothing wrong with it ( as long as it's done correctly) and as c9zx has said it will your block better than new, but the costs involved are quite high ( bore and fit sleeves, hone to finished size, line bore mains, deck block to square) If your block can go to .060 safely then don't worry to much about it, as I have seen .060 blocks used as burn out engines and lasted for ages and didn't split a bore either. As long as your block tests ok then go .060 and you should not have any problems, especially in a daily driver that won't be revved hard all the time.

We sonic tested all 8 cylinders in all spots next to a jacket. Smallest number we found was .133. Any thoughts?? My machinist says should b good

We sonic tested all 8 cylinders in all spots next to a jacket. Smallest number we found was .133. Any thoughts?? My machinist says should b good
I'd agree with your machinist then. If he's a competent engine machinist and the thinnest area is .133 and you're already at .040, then an increase of .020 overbore is still giving you a minimum of .113 and as someone else has said (c9zx I think) a minimum of .080 thickness is sufficient, then punch your block to .060 and you still have your matching numbers engine in the car. As I have said previously I have seen many clevo's bored .060 and have had no dramas, but then again I have seen them split bores on anything from a standard bore to .060. There is a big misconception about boring Clevo blocks past .030 as they are to thin, but to be honest I have personally seen more chev's bored .060 that have had dramas than clevo's. So mate if it's just a daily and it's not going to be revving it's ring out all the time, then all should be sweet.

I agree with 4VForever never heard of Aussie blocks being higher in nickel than any other Clevo. Lots and I mean lots of 60up Clevo's around in AU
Exactly right Luke, this guy is trying to make these blocks out to be something they are not. It's not like we had anything like with chev with the 010 020 high nickel content blocks, they were just standard cast iron blocks and this guy is just trying to dupe people into believing his B/S. The only thing I will say that we made stronger over here would be the crankshafts. Ask anyone that grinds them and they will tell you that sound of them being ground (heard this myself as I used to grind them and use to say back then about the sound) and the extra time it takes, because they are so hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. Should b fine. Gotta lot better thoughts on it now that its been sonic chkd. Not just boring into the abyss

Haha. I have an AMC jeep and belong to several jeep clubs. There is the same rumor about the AMC 401 vs the AMC 304/360/390 that the 401 had a higher nickel content.

Anyways, sounds like you are good to go. Your machine guy knows older engines?

I sure hope so. Gonna give him plenty of $$$ to get started tomorrow. Ya an his dad (72) has been machining for over 30 years an still wks in the shop a few days a week

Mustang7173. Thats def input!

I appreciate all u guys input. Ty

Last edited by a moderator:
Back