Question about speedo and FMX tranny

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rottenralph

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Bright Lime green Mach 1. Has 351c 4v heads with Holley manifold and summit 650 cfm carb, power steering, Power disc front brakes, FMX 3 speed auto tranny, and A/C. The car sits on 17 inch Eleanor wheels with 225/45 front and 245/45 rear. Car is nice bust needs some love under the hood.
Two questions actually

question 1

Can bands be adjusted on an FMX. I think mine is slipping during hard acceleration and I want to know I rebuild or adjustment is likely solution.

question 2

PO put in 350 gears in back instead of 275 original gears but did not calibrate speedo. Do I need a new gear to recalibrate. If so, which one? Where is it?

On question 2, one would think a 21 tooth gear would get you pretty close. The speedo gear is located in the tailshaft housing on the drivers side. Look where the speedo cable goes in, remove the 2 bolts and pull the cable out of the tailshaft housing, the speedo gear will come out with the cable.

I was able to open the spreadsheet. Just need to know what 6,7, or 8T drive gear. I have with an FMX. Any idea what the number goes with the T. I know I have 350 gears. That was confirmed when I had my rear seals removed.

Back