Ignition Box and Coil Location

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdM

Reaction score
Between the Texas Hill Country and North Idaho
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code, a 427 Dart based Windsor, Pro Flo 4, Tremec 5 speed, A/C, 12.7:1 steering conversion, SoT coil over and Dakota Digital dash.
For those running a 6A/AL box and non-cylindrical coil. Where have you located them?

inner fender, firewall, under the dash and on passenger floor. just kinda depends on the set up and motor combo and what you like. less heat on the box is always a good thing.

Not an MSD set-up, but I located my Duraspark module on the backside of the passenger-side shock tower.

That is the precise spot I am considering, away from the heat. Nice to see one installed so. Thinking the coil (squarish Mallory e-coil) on the passenger front shock tower. Thanks.

That is the precise spot I am considering, away from the heat. Nice to see one installed so. Thinking the coil (squarish Mallory e-coil) on the passenger front shock tower. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have mine below the window washer bottle. Mounted with the rubber isolators.

Here's the actual installed pic from before my rebuild.

IMG_14931.jpg

Passenger side, behind the inner fender and fender. Cool, dry, unseen. The picture isn't great. Chuck

IMG_2604.jpg

Mine is just behind the battery.

1401139570947.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is just behind the battery.
That's where I am thinking of mounting the coil. Appreciate all of the replies.
I will take a new picture tomorrow. It was the only one I had and it really looks a lot worse than it does in that pic. Was trying to sort out wiring at that time.

Back