Instrument cluster - Seperated bulb?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
Hi folks,

I have removed my instrument cluster because one of my indicator lights wasn't working. Seems the printed circuit is falling apart. Fair enough, I've ordered a new one now. But when I took the cluster out, the alternator light wasn't screwed on to the back of the cluster but it is quite neatly connected to the cable tree (is that what you call it in English?).

Is this how it's supposed to be?

You can see the hole for the alternator light in the below picture.

Another question I have is the hole at the top. There's no light in it but I can see marks of a light that was once in there. Anybody have a clue what that hole is for?

Thanks for any answers provided!

Cheers,

Vincent.

Instrument cluster:

IMG_0324.jpg

Hi folks,

I have removed my instrument cluster because one of my indicator lights wasn't working. Seems the printed circuit is falling apart. Fair enough, I've ordered a new one now. But when I took the cluster out, the alternator light wasn't screwed on to the back of the cluster but it is quite neatly connected to the cable tree (is that what you call it in English?).

Is this how it's supposed to be?

You can see the hole for the alternator light in the below picture.

Another question I have is the hole at the top. There's no light in it but I can see marks of a light that was once in there. Anybody have a clue what that hole is for?

Thanks for any answers provided!

Cheers,

Vincent.

Instrument cluster:

IMG_0324.jpg
The top hole I believe its for the gas gage illumination. The bottom right is for the alternator light and it should be attached there.

I would advise if you're replacing the printed circuit to go ahead and replace all of those sockets as well. They corrode pretty badly. RockAuto has the new ones for about a buck a piece. All the bulbs are the same, and all of them should be populated.

Thanks! The sockets I've pulled out are actually still in very good condition but I haven't checked all of them yet so maybe I will need to buy a few new ones.

The tricky bit with the bulb for the alternator is that it has a working light but it's connected to a big fat taped up cable running behind the cluster. It seems to be working fine this way but I haven't got a clue why it's been fixed like this if the cluster actually has a space for it.

Must add though that the hole at the back of the cluster (for the alternator) that the socket goes in to, is a little broken but I don't know if that is the cause for, or the result of this new alternature fixture...

those black plastic sockets disintegrate from the heat of the bulbs.

Over time the metal contacts which act like a spring holding contact with the circuit board combined with the plastic falling apart makes the retainer fall off.

then the socket just falls out the back of the dashboard.

do NOT buy the reproduction light sockets for the dash they do NOT fit correctly you will need some original oem replacements unless you want to make your own or solder a bulb to the circuit board.

Back