After marker steering wheel. Suggestions?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
2000 F250-SD
2001 H-D FLTR
2004 GMC Denali
I am considering replacing the stock steering wheel on my 71' Mach 1 to allow easier entering and exiting. Looking online it appears many people are unsatisfied with Grant steering wheels.

Could someone recommend other manufactures of steering wheels for our cars.

I have a Grant and I like it but I wish it had 3 or 4 inches of dish. I don't like reaching for the wheel.

I have a Grant GT Classic (with black foam grip). Mine is the stock 15" size, but they also have a 13" size (which there always seems to be one for sale at just about every auto parts store I've ever seen).

I got mine from NPD (came with the horn button), but if you go that route, make sure to get the mounting kit as well (a separate item and quite necessary).

attachment.php

I also have a Grant GT Challenger on my Jeep (13") and love it... had one on my '82 Mustang as well. It has just enough 'classic' design mixed with modern flair to still be a viable styling point in any car, IMHO. I had originally thought about going with another Challenger wheel, but since I'm sticking with "old school, period-correct restomod" theme, I simply HAD to go with the Classic. This pic's from Summit Racing's site, but you get the idea:

GRT-414.jpg

Billet Specialties makes a adaptor that fit our cars with their steering wheels. But they are expensive but they look cool. They can easy cost 500-600$, but that depends on what options you choose. I think Flaming River have something to.

I think the Grant steering wheels are good enought, they don't cost to much and there are so many different cool styles to choose from :)

We went with the GT Performance wood/ aluminum unit- Love it. Looks awesome, great fit and finish. My wife's first comment when seeing the new interior was "wow, that steering wheel rocks!". My son is now looking to match the door panels to the wood in the wheel to tie it all together. Gonna be cool!

http://gtperformance.net/product/35-5457-wood-mustang-style/

Had to mention this:

Just wait until you slide into a 2015 Mustang (with stock seats, not Recaros, no less). It'll make the '71-73s feel like a piece of cake.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
We went with the GT Performance wood/ aluminum unit- Love it. Looks awesome, great fit and finish. My wife's first comment when seeing the new interior was "wow, that steering wheel rocks!". My son is now looking to match the door panels to the wood in the wheel to tie it all together. Gonna be cool!

http://gtperformance.net/product/35-5457-wood-mustang-style/
Wow, great looking wheel. I would have gone with it if I saw it first, but ended up with a grant wheel. It's nice, but not as nice as yours.

Has Grant fixed the crappy center horn button on the GT. I have one and the center keeps popping off? Other than that, I do like the looks of it.

The button on mine so far has been great. The older models (like the one in my Jeep and '82 Mustang) have springs inside that made the button kind of wonky sitting in there (they always slide out of perfectly centered alignment when putting the button cover on). The one on my '71 has 3 little "foam" pads that take place of the old spring - so the button sits just fine and seems to be solidly on there.

Back