Like Night and Day

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdM

Reaction score
Between the Texas Hill Country and North Idaho
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code, a 427 Dart based Windsor, Pro Flo 4, Tremec 5 speed, A/C, 12.7:1 steering conversion, SoT coil over and Dakota Digital dash.
Today my 16 year old son (he is getting hooked and his smaller hand do come in handy:)) and I finished installing a Quickfuel 680 CFM vacuum secondary carb in place of the 750 Holley double pumper that the car came with. The throttle response of the new carb is much, much better and it pulls hard right to 5000 rpm. Cruising at 65 requires just a light touch on the peddle and the car just smoothly hums there. A bit of a pisser with the install though as the bowl to metering block gasket on the primary side leaked like a sieve on start-up, this with a brand new carb. Swapped in a new gasket (the leakage path was quite apparent) and all was good. Still need to run it a far bit more but so far I am more than pleased. Next install will be the Mallory 6AL box and coil (it has a Unilite distributor) but likely not until I arrive back home on Christmas day. I head back to Korea on Sunday and just want to enjoy driving the car between then and now.

Yes sir Quick fuel carbs are top notch ! I love mine 735 SS Vac Secondaries..Your supposed to check the bowl to body bolts before install then again after a few heat cycles also VERY IMPORTANT !! YOU MUST INSTALL A THROTTLE STOP !!! If you don't over time you can over pull the butterfly's which can cause a wide open jam..Cause the throttle bores to wear http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-65042/overview/

IMG_0048.JPG

Yes sir Quick fuel carbs are top notch ! I love mine 735 SS Vac Secondaries..Your supposed to check the bowl to body bolts before install then again after a few heat cycles also VERY IMPORTANT !! YOU MUST INSTALL A THROTTLE STOP !!! If you don't over time you can over pull the butterfly's which can cause a wide open jam..Cause the throttle bores to wear http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-65042/overview/
I did check the bowl to body bolts and they were plenty tight. Frankly, the gasket looked like a real POS, very thin compared to the Holley replacement, and a small port on the lower passenger side was missed by the gasket hence the leak. As I said, real obvious. I still need to play a bit with my linkage as it appears that it does not allow WOT. Appreciate the link.

Double pumpers have their place but it's not on a heavy street driven Mustang. Back in my teenage years it was popular to put on a double pumper. Usually it replaced a 2bbl so it seemed like it was faster. I was lucky enough to have an old guy who was a hot rod dude back in the day steer me clear of the double pumper.

QF does make fine carbs. If the car has enough gear and stall speed the DPs work well. It is a matter of matching all the drive line components. Chuck

QF does make fine carbs. If the car has enough gear and stall speed the DPs work well. It is a matter of matching all the drive line components. Chuck
Mine runs 3.50's and a factory original top loader and the new QF is much better to drive than the DP was. Plus the DP had no choke which I did not like.

Is the 750 for sale? If so, what is the list number on the carb? Thanks, Chuck

Well the throttle stop arrived and it appears it clashes with the original (I think) throttle cable. Do you have a picture of your install? Here's a rather poor shot of my throttle cable.

Not a 351c but this is my 85 GT with a 408w. I trimmed a bit off of the throttle stop pad so there would be more clearance between it and the throttle cable.

Breather setup 001.JPG

Thanks gents. A little "chop and channel" and it looks like it will work fine. Will handle when I am back home at Christmas.

Back