FMX to C6 conversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rottenralph

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Bright Lime green Mach 1. Has 351c 4v heads with Holley manifold and summit 650 cfm carb, power steering, Power disc front brakes, FMX 3 speed auto tranny, and A/C. The car sits on 17 inch Eleanor wheels with 225/45 front and 245/45 rear. Car is nice bust needs some love under the hood.
I have a friend with a C6 laying around the garage ready to install. What would I need to put it in my Mach one. It started life mated to a 351C so I suspect the work would be minimal. What is a fair price for it? Is there any value in the swap considering I think I may need to overhaul my FMX.

I did my first c6 swap when I was young and didn't know much about cars. Here is what I remember.

The cross member worked fine. No issues.

The trans cover is different

Drive shaft length was different (I think I had to make it shorter, it has been a while)

The linkage for mine was different. It turns out they used different linkage for different cars. I was able to adapt it to make it work by adding some length to it. The 'right' way would have been to get one from a mustang and swap it in. This means a tear down to some degree. This is the part I would check out closely. I 'believe' that some of the c6 had reverse linkages and that would be a nightmare. This is only from some internet reading and I do not have real world knowledge to confirm this.

Different torque converter.

I don't think I had to swap flex plates but someone will correct me.

No issues with the starter.

I never got the kick down hooked up but I think I messed that up during a previous carb swap, not during the transmission swap.

My son swapped his FMX, that needed rebuilt for a "free" C-6 when he was in HS. They rebuilt the C6 in shop class, and it has never shifter right.

However, this was for a 70 Cougar, 351W. The drive shaft was shortened 1 inch, the floor shifter required an adapter to work. (I Think that is the biggest reason the thing never shifts right.)

The FMX has gotten a bad rep over the years for not being a "performance" transmission, but they are very capable if built right. A decent shift kit, and the appropriate torque converter for what ever cam you have, and they will put up with a LOT of abuse. The C-6 is just a horsepower hog...Bigger, heavier, lots of parasitic loss.

Unless you still have everything to put the C6 back in, if the FMX is well fitted and everything for it works, I would be hard pressed to go the C6.

Back