The venerable Mach 1 convetible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually a pretty well written ad. They did not try and pass it off as original - even going the extra mile to explain (most of) the various mods.

Doesn't appeal to my tastes but it might be just what someone is looking for.

Restomod cars can be a tough sell - especially when considering to recoup the costs of all the mods.

Ray

I have agree they wrote the add as the car is without trying to beat around the bush.

I love a good restomod but I always have to question the quality of work no matter what the owner/seller says. I have seen way to many hatchet jobs over the years. That and the use of custom parts can be a problem years down the road when repairs are needed and you don't know where to get the parts.

That said a restomod on a car you plan to keep long term to me is totally worth it. The best of both worlds if you are not planning to show it as Concourse Original. Best kind to own because they are built to enjoy driving not just enjoy while looking through a glass screen because it might get damaged and loose some value.

It's full disclosure now because the seller who owns it now previously tried the usual "MACH 1 CONVERTIBLE ORIGINAL BEAUTIFUL RESTOMOD WOW!!!!" methods and failed for those 18 months.

That said, one of our own built that car himself - kevken1959 (See http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-wow-not-mine-i-wish-our-holy-grail-71-j-code-convertible-1-of-1-on-ebay?pid=129078#pid129078 where he references the car; he hasn't owned it for a while now ) before acquiring his infamous collection of convertibles:

050.JPG

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
It's full disclosure now because the seller who owns it now previously tried the usual "MACH 1 CONVERTIBLE ORIGINAL BEAUTIFUL RESTOMOD WOW!!!!" methods and failed for those 18 months.

That said, one of our own built that car himself - kevken1959 (See http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-wow-not-mine-i-wish-our-holy-grail-71-j-code-convertible-1-of-1-on-ebay?pid=129078#pid129078 where he references the car; he hasn't owned it for a while now ) before acquiring his infamous collection of convertibles:

050.JPG

-Kurt
He has a few R code convertibles... :cool: Too cool.

Ray

I think it is a very nice car but like others, I dislike the interior. Why would anyone do that? If nothing else, have custom interior done in nice leather that looks like the original interior.

I think it is a very nice car but like others, I dislike the interior. Why would anyone do that? If nothing else, have custom interior done in nice leather that looks like the original interior.
To each their own.

It's probably the comfiest '71-73 ever, that's for sure.

-Kurt

Aside from the Mach 1 decals and the interior being so... "fuzzy," I like it! ::thumb::

About the only things I'd change would be getting rid of the Mach 1 decals (staying with the stripes, though) and to paint the Ram Air ducts the same color as the hood. I don't know if I'd do the Argent TuTone or not (probably not). Maybe replace the carpet on the center console with some red vinyl (same color) to get rid of the 'fuzziness.' The seats are awesome and look very comfy, as Kurt said. I think it looks sweet pretty much how it is. ::thumb::

I would also like to know how he stuffed 295/50R15s under there with those "wanna-be*" Cragar S/Ss (look like 15x8s to me) and not sticking out like mine do. :huh:

* I say "wanna-be" since the 'windows' between the spokes of Cragar S/Ss don't have borders.

The rear disc brake set-up has me curious as well - looks clean. ::thumb::

I have no idea what the history is of this car, but like I said, "looks good to me." I think I'd be a buyer if I could get him to come down a little (maybe to the $21-22K range).

Aside from the Mach 1 decals and the interior being so... "fuzzy," I like it! ::thumb::

About the only things I'd change would be getting rid of the Mach 1 decals (staying with the stripes, though) and to paint the Ram Air ducts the same color as the hood. I don't know if I'd do the Argent TuTone or not (probably not). Maybe replace the carpet on the center console with some red vinyl (same color) to get rid of the 'fuzziness.' The seats are awesome and look very comfy, as Kurt said. I think it looks sweet pretty much how it is. ::thumb::

I would also like to know how he stuffed 295/50R15s under there with those "wanna-be*" Cragar S/Ss (look like 15x8s to me) and not sticking out like mine do. :huh:

* I say "wanna-be" since the 'windows' between the spokes of Cragar S/Ss don't have borders.

The rear disc brake set-up has me curious as well - looks clean. ::thumb::

I have no idea what the history is of this car, but like I said, "looks good to me." I think I'd be a buyer if I could get him to come down a little (maybe to the $21-22K range).
Nothing wrong with a Mach 1 "Tribute" convertible!

Not in the least... I think your car is freaken awesome! ::thumb::

I also think they should've had a Mach 1-trimmed convertible as well (the original Mustang prototypes had "Mach #" code-named models that were typically open-top cars, after all). Honestly, there's nothing particularly special about the Mach 1, aside from the decals and "05" in the VIN - all of the items available on a Mach 1, could be ordered as optional items on any other model.

But Mach 1 stickers on a 'vert [that I would be owning] is just not for me. Without trying to be offensive - please understand - putting Mach 1 stickers on a non-Mach 1 car (to me) is like putting a "turbo" badge on a non-turbo car (or a Type-R badge on an import with aftermarket rims and a fart cannon muffler). Just a personal thing of mine.

You've always been up-front and never claimed your car to be a Mach 1, or rather, you've always said, "Mach 1 Tribute Car." And that's fine because you've always been honest about it. It's the ones that slap on the stickers and purport their car to be something it's not for the sake of boosting the value somehow... those are the ones that have ruined the whole Mach 1 thing for me.

And again, it's just my hang-up... I still support the "build it how you want it" message. :D

Nice clean undercarriage.

He said it was built with a Lincoln Versailles rear end.

-Kurt
These two posts together made me chuckle.

Let me give you some insight on French history: "Versailles" was the palace and residence of the French kings.

King Louis XIV reportedly only took 3 baths his entire life. Hence the French proneness to perfume.

What's more, Versailles did not even have toilets. The residents would just drop their business anywhere in the house they wanted, be it a hallway or a staircase or whatever.

So considering these facts it is obvious why the words "clean undercarriage" and "Versailles" can never, ever go together.

:)

Class is dismissed. :)

Nice clean undercarriage.

He said it was built with a Lincoln Versailles rear end.

-Kurt
These two posts together made me chuckle.

Let me give you some insight on French history: "Versailles" was the palace and residence of the French kings.

King Louis XIV reportedly only took 3 baths his entire life. Hence the French proneness to perfume.

What's more, Versailles did not even have toilets. The residents would just drop their business anywhere in the house they wanted, be it a hallway or a staircase or whatever.

So considering these facts it is obvious why the words "clean undercarriage" and "Versailles" can never, ever go together.

:)

Class is dismissed. :)
"Lincoln Versailles" = "Lincoln Sh!tbox."

When one sticks a Mark V grille on a Granada, I tend not to disagree with the above statement.

-Kurt

Not in the least... I think your car is freaken awesome! ::thumb::

I also think they should've had a Mach 1-trimmed convertible as well (the original Mustang prototypes had "Mach #" code-named models that were typically open-top cars, after all). Honestly, there's nothing particularly special about the Mach 1, aside from the decals and "05" in the VIN - all of the items available on a Mach 1, could be ordered as optional items on any other model.

But Mach 1 stickers on a 'vert [that I would be owning] is just not for me. Without trying to be offensive - please understand - putting Mach 1 stickers on a non-Mach 1 car (to me) is like putting a "turbo" badge on a non-turbo car (or a Type-R badge on an import with aftermarket rims and a fart cannon muffler). Just a personal thing of mine.

You've always been up-front and never claimed your car to be a Mach 1, or rather, you've always said, "Mach 1 Tribute Car." And that's fine because you've always been honest about it. It's the ones that slap on the stickers and purport their car to be something it's not for the sake of boosting the value somehow... those are the ones that have ruined the whole Mach 1 thing for me.

And again, it's just my hang-up... I still support the "build it how you want it" message. :D
Luckily I'm now the owner of a "real" 71 Mach 1. It is getting shipped and I'll post an official announcement once it arrives! ::tease::

Back