• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1972 351C manifolds

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rottenralph

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Bright Lime green Mach 1. Has 351c 4v heads with Holley manifold and summit 650 cfm carb, power steering, Power disc front brakes, FMX 3 speed auto tranny, and A/C. The car sits on 17 inch Eleanor wheels with 225/45 front and 245/45 rear. Car is nice bust needs some love under the hood.
I am thinking stock exhaust is the way to go. My car is loud, the full length headers hang too low, it is hard to tune and the car does not drive as well as it can. I need some headers so I can buy a stock like exhaust with crossovers and sensible mufflers so I can enjoy driving this car. It is so loud I can't hardly hear when I am driving. I was thinking about getting quieter mufflers but the long tube headers and lack of crossover is made for racing and I don't race. PM me with price and condition of headers please. I would like to move really fast on this since it is a daily driver and I need to drive.

The exhaust ports are quite a bit bigger on a 4 V head so I suspect they are. I see 2v's and 4v's on EBAY. I would like to try here first and then move from there. I will do something because the noise of my exhaust is simply unacceptable.

Just the muffler change and adding an H-pipe will make the most difference in noise reduction.

The swap to manifolds will certainly help with ground clearance issues.

You'll like it.

Are your heads 4V or 2V?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 4v heads on the car.

I suppose I could just have them chokes the tubes down and add a crossover as well. Not a big fan of the clearance issue but I did lower the car to look better with my wheels.

I have the hooker comp headers http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-6915hkr/overview/year/1972/make/ford/model/mustang

Mated to the pypes exhaust system http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-sfm04s/overview/year/1972/make/ford/model/mustang

My car is lowered too & no problem with the exhaust hitting..for a very quite system I would delete the pypes mufflers http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-sfm04/overview/year/1972/make/ford/model/mustang

Get stock mufflers from these guys they make them

http://www.precisionexhaust.com/#!catalogs/c2kw

OR you could get the complete system from them..call them.. speak to them... they will set you up with a nice quite stock system..

I have a set of long tube headers on mine as well. I tried the pypes exhaust and did not like the fit. A lot of people do, but I had some clearance issues with my 8.8 rearend. I went to a custom exhaust shop and got a beautiful stainless exhaust from the headers back with an x pipe and magnaflow mufflers. It is whisper quiet inside now and I love it. Still throaty when you jump on throttle but at cruise rpm its nice. I also installed electric cutouts too, just incase I want open headers LOL!!!! They are cool too!!! All that, minus the cutouts, for about $75 more than the Pypes kit from Summit. My old exhaust was straight pipes going into old school cherry bombs with a small 2 inch pipe.....HOLY HELL LOUD!!! Cracked enough to make your ears hurt.

+1 on the H pipe, Hooker comps, different mufflers. If the car is really low the shorties are better than the manifolds. I'd find a competent exhaust shop and add the crossover/H-pipe first. To me, nothing sounds worse than "divorced" dual exhaust. The H pipe will quiet things between 1 and 3 db and add a bit of torque. Keep at it. You will get the car where you want it to be.

Chuck

As an addendum to my shorty header post:

108383.jpg

Around $300-350 for a set of these - and unlike the factory manifolds, you won't be chasing after them or welding cracks.

-Kurt

Will a stock exhaust mount to it do you need custom exhaust h pipe to work?

Would like to better understand about the comment regarding the H pipe. Is it easier to tune a car with an H pipe as well? I feel my tuning could be better but with stupid big pipes and zero back pressure I think I am tuning against a target that can't be reached with the exhaust. On my Harley reversion and exhaust dynamics are one of the big HP robbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I weighed my options and I am having them build a new backend to my exhaust including H pipe and Quiet Magnaflow mufflers. Thanks for all the great suggestions. This car is getting really expensive really fast, will it ever end?

Well, I weighed my options and I am having them build a new backend to my exhaust including H pipe and Quiet Magnaflow mufflers. Thanks for all the great suggestions. This car is getting really expensive really fast, will it ever end?
NO it will not end!!! Silly boy:D You are as good as married to the car. For better or worse you will pay. Also note that at the time of seperation you will also be raked over the coals and never recoup the costs. So just smile and accept it.

just sold a set of manifolds for 40 dollars, 4v to

Back