Hello

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lfdsteve

Reaction score
My Car
71 Grande Bar find
Hello,

Steve from Michigan. I just finished my first resto which was a frame up 71 formula. This is my latest discovery. Found this 73 in a barn in Northern Michigan. It is a running 80000mile Grande with a 351C 2V.

I know nothing about Mustangs per say so not really sure what I have here. It was Free which is nice. Will need both quarters, fenders and a core support due to battery corrosion. Otherwise it seems like it has every little part! No rust around any of the windows and both doors mint.

My thought is Resto mod but probs going to be a while before I jump into it.

Since its free(so its cheaper than getting a fast back) and I need to replace the quarters anyway, is there enough repro parts out there to do the conversion or does it require a whole top transplant? I have done some searching and not come up with much so thought I would throw it out there.

Anyway Hi all and looking forward to learning about another vehicle.

I welcome any input.

Steve

Cool find. ::welcome:: from Bundabeg Australia. I would just leave it a coupe as the style has grown on me after seeing some very nice ones on here

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - what an exceptional find! You don't run across that many that haven't been modified heavily.

I'd keep it original or sell it and find another that has already been modified to your likes.

Sure looks like it will clean up really nice and the story of how you got it is cool too.

Don't see the rusty fenders but pics don't tell what you have already discovered...

I almost forgot - welcome from Oklahoma. :)

Ray

Did I understand you correctly, you want to convert to sportsroof(fastback)? I doubt that will be something that is done often or ever. Welcome from TN.

::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

Regarding your plans for a conversion, it can be done but it's not worth it. Aside from the sheet metal there are many many details in the interior that will need to be adapted. It will definitely be easier to get a fastback in the first place.

Now, if you want to get rid of the "geezer" look of the Grande (no offense to Grande owners ;) ) you can turn a hardtop into a pretty bad ass machine. Remove the vinyl top, paint the car a catchy color, add front and rear deck spoilers, get some cool rims and you have a real looker.

Or you keep the looks as is and it will make for a cool 70s cruiser, especially in that brown color.

i

Hello,

Steve from Michigan. I just finished my first resto which was a frame up 71 formula. This is my latest discovery. Found this 73 in a barn in Northern Michigan. It is a running 80000mile Grande with a 351C 2V.

I know nothing about Mustangs per say so not really sure what I have here. It was Free which is nice. Will need both quarters, fenders and a core support due to battery corrosion. Otherwise it seems like it has every little part! No rust around any of the windows and both doors mint.

Since its free(so its cheaper than getting a fast back) and I need to replace the quarters anyway, is there enough repro parts out there to do the conversion or does it require a whole top transplant? I have done some searching and not come up with much so thought I would throw it out there.

I welcome any input.

Steve

:p::welcome::its funny friday the only way i can maintain a positive mindset on mine. If you are planning on souping it up fyi check

out what you are in for from my 11 year project-so expensive and unexpected swerves in the road to rebuild per se. Ie my 300 pic photo album which on its last leg on an efi dyno tune. Also a frame up project that started out as a $2,500 tax tag and title sticker that became a 6 figure resto-mod. Kept me at home w/family more than expected but what the hay per se w/ebola knocking at our doors. Welcome from groumd zero latrobe PA But have family and friends in MI.

Hello,

I welcome any input.

Steve

regarding my welcome post to your site~may have been too lengthy to go through: in that case:just a good luck in time and labor if someone else is doing the work. See my 300 pic photo album for a ref of how much time and cost to how much modifications and who is doing the job. A regular rottiserie job from the pros keeping it stock body in tampa fl or big city in tx is @ 10g$ @ up to a year then 5g for interior~3g MAACO paint job w~ then the mechanical and electrical wish.w i would have done

Welcome from Ohio

It can be done but you would need the roof, quarters and trunk area including inner structures from a fastback.

Thanks for the wArm welcome. Don't have to do a fastback swap, just was asking since I had to do quarters anyway. Have seen some wonderful coups.

I have a buddy in Latrobe. Moved from mi to Latrobe. He is a chiropractor and cross fit trainer/gym owner. What part of mi?

Steve

Welcome from West Texas! Looks like a great place to start. I'd just stick with the coupe and make it yours as you get everything back together - there are indeed some awesome coupes out there. You can always trade for a fastback or maybe even just pick up a fastback and have both (since it was free, after all ;) )

Either way - have fun with it, good luck, and share the pics! ::thumb::

Hello,

I welcome any input.

Steve

pss mine with need of front driver side frame rail pushed in and upward part time but garage kept with inner and over body and other work as replace conv top and other interior workings to run 25g. As for further tweaking and ajusting trunk lid and reinsulating floors to recarpeting and average paint job is 5g. MAACO would have been best for price but have to take off and reinstall trim by someone else

::welcome:: From San Diego.

Does the car really need full quarters? Looks like some patch panels would be the way to go.

Coupes make a great restomods. Here is a pic my Grande that I built.

image0-2.jpg

Back