Fuel delivery question regarding fuel pump

Quick question, how much pressure should I need to exert on the pneumatic switch that closes off water to the heater core. Should it be really easy or middle pressure.

Bright lime 72 Mach 1 with 351C 4V, with summit 600 carb(have a Holley too), Edelbrock dual-plane manifold, Hooker headers, 3 inch exhaust with flowmasters, 17 inch Eleanor wheels, FMX tranny, A/C, P/S, front disks and 350 rear gear. Drive it to work every day.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I decided to try my Holley carb out on the car. It worked great until it did not. I think it has a bad float because all was good and then the front bowl filled to the brim and flooded out the car. I got it running again and it did the same thing again. It ran much faster with the holley so I decided to pull the jets from the Holley and see what they are. I found 67's in my Summit carb and 70's in the Holley. Took the 70's out and put them in the Summit and it runs a whole lot better. Might have been running around really lean. I will buy a jet kit and dial it in. Can't figure out why my car sounds quieter with the Holley. Makes no sense.

Bright lime 72 Mach 1 with 351C 4V, with summit 600 carb(have a Holley too), Edelbrock dual-plane manifold, Hooker headers, 3 inch exhaust with flowmasters, 17 inch Eleanor wheels, FMX tranny, A/C, P/S, front disks and 350 rear gear. Drive it to work every day.

• 2 weeks later...

I still have the clakity clack but it is tolerable until I get adjustable rockers. I am also thinking I will get an Edelbrock carb also. My car ran better with the Holley other than hard starting and flooding the bowls occasionally. The Holley seems to be impossible to set the bowls and the secondary bowl is flooding everything out but not always so I think I will try an Edelbrock. Had Edebrock on both my 65's and found them to be easy to setup and both cars were a one turn start. I know the carb is not right but it runs o'k so I think I can try something else that worked well for me in the past. Still have some work to make this a good daily driver. The MagnaFlows are still too loud but that seems to also be somewhat fuel delivery related because it sounded queter with the Holley until it flooded out.

Ralph, give Omar at Just Carburetors a call:

https://www.google.com/search?q=just+carburetors&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

He should be able to set you up with a properly set-up and rebuilt 600cfm Holley 4160 for about $200-$250. And Omar's work and expertise is worth every penny. Say goodbye to any problems with your carb.

-Kurt

satellite-valiant-mustang-license-tags-signature.png

How to buy a '71-73 Mustang:

Rule #1: Assume all classic car sellers are guilty until proven innocent.

Rule #2: No classic car dealer is ever innocent; thus, they are all guilty.

Rule #3: Buy from trustworthy people: Fellow forum members. Visit 7173Mustang's For Sale forum.

I was just looking at 4160 carbs and thought the non adjustable float part sounds really good to me. What is the deal with the non adjustable part, I really like that idea.

I was just looking at 4160 carbs and thought the non adjustable float part sounds really good to me. What is the deal with the non adjustable part, I really like that idea.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/640760-holley-4160-non-adjustable-carburetor-thoughts-experience.html

Not keen on the idea. The adjustable 4160's are the way to go. Not that hard to adjust the needle and seat from the top - especially with the sight level screw in the bowl.

Most of what you describe in regards to your Holley sound like adjustment problems more than anything else.

-Kurt

Rule #3: Buy from trustworthy people: Fellow forum members. Visit 7173Mustang's For Sale forum.

Thought that too about adjustment except my Summit adjusts the same and site level adjustments there stay perfect where I can't get the secondary bowl to adjust and it floods out the front from the crossover tube. I changed the needle and seat and still same, suspect float problem. May go play with it again tomorrow.

seems dumb to ne to have to adjust floats. Seems you could make one that has fuel at level needed without adjustment.

Thought that too about adjustment except my Summit adjusts the same and site level adjustments there stay perfect where I can't get the secondary bowl to adjust and it floods out the front from the crossover tube. I changed the needle and seat and still same, suspect float problem. May go play with it again tomorrow.

Cheaper and easier to buy a Holley from Omar that has been gone through thoroughly for oddball problems and issues. Chuck your troublesome one on eBay for someone else to troubleshoot and to cover the cost of the replacement.

-Kurt

• 2 weeks later...

Heard a strange knocking noise in my engine when I pulled off the highway. Pulled up to the light and revved it a few times gently and now the engine is smooth and the car runs like it should. Strange that a worrisome noise is followed by the car running near perfect minus the extra valve train noise. I thought something bad was getting ready to happen and still worry it is coming.

I will address with adjustable rockers and guide plates.

Regarding the heater hose thing. On my 73 with factory air the only time the valve was activated (to turn off the heated water) was when the A/C switch was moved to 'max'. All other times water flows. In fact, the A/C cools the air and then a blend door is used to add heat.

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]