Price of your mustang when new

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
I would like to see what was the least and most expensive mustang built during the 71/73 years. The sticker price for my 73 vert was 5066.49

I think it would be interesting to see what was the most and least expensive car for each year and any unique options that made it more or less expensive.

John J

The sticker price on my 73 convertible was $4476.54

The sticker might as well have been a MILLION! Back then I was making 1.60 hr or 3300 a year before taxes, food, etc. at 16.

That's why I am always amazed when people chime in with phrases like "I bought when I was 16". rofl because I guarantee you that I am one of few people that worked 40 hr weeks at 16 and still in high school.

So yeah I bet my 71 was somewhere around a MILLION.:D

My 73 Mach 1 is...

Base Price $3088

Options $2031

Transportation $223

Total Sticker Price $5342
Jeff my shipping was 22.00. Where was your car shipped to. That a lot of money for shipping in 1973 dollars.

John

Hi John,

I'm no expert at all when it comes to these topics. However, this little write up below, presents an interesting overview plus discusses prices and options of the day as well.

Reference ..................

http://www.mach172.cz/MustangoverviewEN.html

Greg.:)
Good read thanks for the link.

Greg

John J

Last edited by a moderator:
so pricing today seems to be .1 higher than 40 years ago of the average income of normal people and unfortunately MOST households. leaving the market for buyers at income levels reaching the top 5-6% and lower of wage earners and moving into "income" professionals. To balance, spreading the debt out to 7 years to make it affordable occurred roughly 5 years ago. I could be off a little or a lot but that was a quick observation not analysis.

very cool sticker pricing!!! Great thread.

Just a question: are we talking what the car cost when the dealership sold it or what it cost after leaving the factory (Eminger invoice)?

I have the Eminger but there's no way I will ever find out what the first owner paid for it.

Just a question: are we talking what the car cost when the dealership sold it or what it cost after leaving the factory (Eminger invoice)?

I have the Eminger but there's no way I will ever find out what the first owner paid for it.
I thought most of the responses are Dealer invoice. Does our Marti report provide that? .... with the premium addition. I only have the standard myself so I don't have the invoice sticker as well.

I used the Eminger invoice that came with my Marti report. I plan to get the original one from them as well as the window sticker. I remember paying around $4300 for it from the dealer though.

My car has some interesting numbers since it was sold as a company lease car. It was sold by Ford from the Dearborn Assembly Plant to the Hapeville Assembly Plant in Georgia. It was heavily discounted and has handwritten notes on the original dealer invoice. This piece of history is actually the only "original" paperwork that I got when I bought the car. I don't know why people don't include all that paperwork when the car is sold but that is another story for another thread.

Here's is what I have:

List Price: $5614.51

Transportation: $20.00

Total Options: $2371.51

Dealer Invoice: $4422.46

Discounted to: $3617.22

The Dealer Invoice also shows the following:

202-L-089 J Williams

SPCL. DLR. ACCT. ADJ. CR. $44.93

I was told that J. Williams was the Ford executive who ordered the car on 9/16/1970. I would really like to track him down but he has a common name and is likely dead by now. All interesting none the less!

Last edited by a moderator:

I was asking for sticker price or dealer invoice. What ever info you have to share. I was curious what was the most expensive and the least expensive car for 71/73 mustangs. There been a lot of highly optioned cars listed. it would be cool to see some coupes or sports roof pricing.

John J

My car has some interesting numbers since it was sold as a company lease car. It was sold by Ford from the Dearborn Assembly Plant to the Hapeville Assembly Plant in Georgia. It was heavily discounted and has handwritten notes on the original dealer invoice. This piece of history is actually the only "original" paperwork that I got when I bought the car. I don't know why people don't include all that paperwork when the car is sold but that is another story for another thread.

Here's is what I have:

List Price: $5614.51

Transportation: $20.00

Total Options: $2371.51

Dealer Invoice: $4422.46

Discounted to: $3617.22

The Dealer Invoice also shows the following:

202-L-089 J Williams

SPCL. DLR. ACCT. ADJ. CR. $44.93

I was told that J. Williams was the Ford executive who ordered the car on 9/16/1970. I would really like to track him down but he has a common name and is likely dead by now. All interesting none the less!
hmmm 44 years.....hmmm if he was in his 30's its possible he may be with us! Case in point I had a 65 Malibu SS that I built from a dismantled hull in Elizabethtown Ky. Turns out the original owner was probably U.S. Army out of Ft. Campbell. After putting the car together (see under cars you've owned) I tracked him down making him about 70 ish... turns out he was about 74. I found him and information indicated he might be alive. I was SECONDS away from pushing the button for the connection to tell him about the car he once loved had been saved. then my wife speaks up......"WHAT if the car was stolen????"

I decided to go ahead and sell it without making the connection.

I was asking for sticker price or dealer invoice. What ever info you have to share. I was curious what was the most expensive and the least expensive car for 71/73 mustangs. There been a lot of highly optioned cars listed. it would be cool to see some coupes or sports roof pricing.

John J
My '71 Boss shows $4679.00, with only 5 options, AM Radio, power steering, sport deck rear seat, décor group, deluxe belts/warning light.

Back