351 C engine sound (video)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Mustang Mach 1 (1973)-351Ci-4V
Hi,

Please some advice from the members & pro's

1 - what do you think about the engine sound? bad/normal

2 - is the sound of the electric Holley fuel pump normal, it's a awfully sound (just a little model airplane)

[video=youtube]

Mach 1 saved from scrap yard and soon back on the road.

THANKS,

eddyw

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
As I can hear the engine sounds normal, but I think it's the compressor for the air conditioning there are making a little bit noise, I think there is nothing to worry about. The fuel pump sounds really loud, I don't think that's normal. It should not be so loud, if it was me then I could'nt live with it.

As I can hear the engine sounds normal, but I think it's the compressor for the air conditioning there are making a little bit noise, I think there is nothing to worry about. The fuel pump sounds really loud, I don't think that's normal. It should not be so loud, if it was me then I could'nt live with it.
By the first time engine running the fuel pump wasn't so noisy but i was running out of fuel(fuel tank empty)and filled back with fuel... since that happen... a lot of noise.

Maybe some air bubbles in the fuel pump or...?

I don't think it's air bubbles. When you ran empty of gas, the fuel pump might have sucked some dirt from the gas tank. Have you tried to tear it apart and look for dirt in the filter? That could maybe be the reason. I would try that as the first thing. Clean it and look what happens when you start it up again :)

Agree with protouring engine sound OK pump needs to be fixed or changed.

Looks nice - great job

Don

I agree with Don the pump is bad. Electric pumps do not like to be run dry. Seems like some belt/accessory noise as well, hard to say from a video. You might try removing one belt at a time to see if the noise lessens or stops. Good looking car. Chuck

-the compressor for the air conditioning is making noise, i filled the compressor with fresh oil but is not working for the moment(no cooling gas in the system).

Without pulley belt a lot better engine sound.

-the pump is a blue holley comp.pump with regulator:

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/hly-12-802-1/overview/

they comments say's "Very noisy but it really works" & "loud"

Maybe a normal sound for this fuel pump (awful for me, i look what i can do for a quiet sound)

I have mounted a filter between the new fuel tank and pump and also one between the pump and regulator, all the lines/filters/fuel sender/fuel tank are new.

I try to make a copy of the Mustang in attachment.

Thanks,

eddy

The AC compressor is not turning. Pulley is, but the compressor/clutch itself is not engaged. I don't hear any noise there.

Sounds like an alternator whine to me, varies with RPM.

Is the fuel pump mounted on rubber or directly to a hard surface? It does sound a bit loud to me, but I have heard other pumps that are loud like that. I do not have one of my own to compare to, except a small Purolator electric pump on the Tiger that is mounted underneath and behind the passenger seat. It is not a very noisy one.

The AC compressor is not turning. Pulley is, but the compressor/clutch itself is not engaged. I don't hear any noise there.

Sounds like an alternator whine to me, varies with RPM.

Is the fuel pump mounted on rubber or directly to a hard surface? It does sound a bit loud to me, but I have heard other pumps that are loud like that. I do not have one of my own to compare to, except a small Purolator electric pump on the Tiger that is mounted underneath and behind the passenger seat. It is not a very noisy one.
Hi,

-I mean more that metal sound... you are right only the pulley is turning around(also working electric cooling fan on radiator).

-I use this alternator:

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/tff-7078ndp/overview/

-The fuel pump is mounted on the rubber blocks(was included in the box), i gonna try bigger rubbers and Dynamat.

I really appreciate the honest good (and maybe bad) comments.

If anyone wants to add suggestions about the complete car(used parts or accessories or...), these suggestions are welcome.

If the compressor pulley bearing is bad, I would think that you could remove the belt and wiggle the pulley to check for play. Freewheel rolling (spinning) the pulley with a bad bearing should be easy to hear with the engine off.

I had a holley red pump on my jeep. It was very loud.

Something doesn't sound right with the engine. I like the advice to remove each belt and see if the noise goes away. It doesn't sound like a 'bad' engine sound but something doesn't sound right to me.

Try this: crank the car and warm it up then with it running remove the fuel pump fuse and see what you think. The engine will fun for a short time till the fuel in the bowl runs out but it will let you distinctly hear your engine and not the pump.

I would make sure the pump has rubber insulators and has rubber hose going between the outlet and hard line, not just hard lined

joe.

personally the pump is too loud for my taste.

Back