2015 Mustangs hit Miami!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mustang Mach 1 M-code "Soylent Green"
'69 Plymouth Valiant 100
'68 Plymouth Satellite
I just dropped by the central Rental Car Center by Miami Airport today and found a series of fleet S550's in National's holding lot on my way out:

2015-mustang-s550-010.jpg

2015-mustang-s550-008.jpg

2015-mustang-s550-011.jpg

2015-mustang-s550-013.jpg

I did make it a point to speak with the people at the National counter to ask if they had any available at the moment - or when they would be available, given the apparent recency of the shipment.

Unfortunately, the National staff treated me with extreme rudeness - to the point of accusing me of being an Alamo spy. Thankfully, the manager on shift - Rudy - who was manning the car lot was extremely apologetic, an absolute gentleman, and said he'd speak with the staff. He was also unsure when the S550's would be registered and tagged for rental, but it should not be too long before they have them available.

Given the fleet delivery, I dropped by the nearest Ford dealer - Midway Ford - on a whim. Nothing out front, so I drove around back - and found a V6 standard model in Guard sitting in the lot. Believe me, this color really does have a green hue to it in person, and everybody at the dealership calls it olive green:

2015-mustang-s550-020.jpg

I drove in to speak with Rafael, the sales manager - and was invited to check out and photograph the black EcoBoost Premium in the showroom. Sitting in the S550 is night-and-day to the S197. There's a notable improvement in quality over the outgoing generation, and it shows.

2015-mustang-s550-021.jpg

2015-mustang-s550-022.jpg

2015-mustang-s550-023.jpg

2015-mustang-s550-024.jpg

2015-mustang-s550-025.jpg

2015-mustang-s550-027.jpg

2015-mustang-s550-031.jpg

2015-mustang-s550-032.jpg

Best thing: The center console doesn't consume you like the S197's. That was my biggest gripe of the old models which I couldn't accept. The S550 fits like a glove.

Enjoy the photos!

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I want the boosted version in orange with brown and black interior. Just trying to justify it. Get a new one or drive the old one. I plan to drive the green one for a while and then see.

Wow.... I see Audi, Charger, and Camaro in that car design.
Perhaps the black influences an Audi perception, but I see the current Porsche 911 more than anything else.

At any rate, even with its differences, I really do feel it is one design truly worthy of wearing the Mustang badge.

Ironically enough, this and the S197 are almost a new beginning for the badge. Think about it - until 2005, we didn't have anything based on the classic Mustang formula since 1973 (no offense intended to the II, Fox, and SN-95 crowd, but the II set a the pace for a Mustang of different proportions and size to the original theme).

Perhaps some of us are reluctant to the new design as it's the first time that a truly new Mustang based almost entirely on classic Mustang proportions has been developed.

Think about it: The S197 borrowed so much from the '65-68 that you can hardly call it a redesign; more so a radical re-imagination of the same car. It received widespread acceptance because - in general - it was already accepted.

The S550, on the other hand, is the first attempt at doing something new with the fastback/Sportsroof. We haven't had a tapering C-pillar run straight onto the trunklid since 1973...until now.

-Kurt

Wow.... I see Audi, Charger, and Camaro in that car design.
Perhaps the black influences an Audi perception, but I see the current Porsche 911 more than anything else.

-Kurt
images

DUDE its like a Audi Porsche Mustang Camaro Charger

2 of my club members here in Memphis are already driving their new 15's. Both bought GT's one in Burgundy and the other in black. You should have seen the crowd around them at the local cruise in last Thursday night.

martins 15.jpg

Charlies 15.jpg

I like it. For over 30k they can sit on it till it rusts. Ford has priced them out of their original intended market. In just another thread members were mentioning about how they worked full time jobs 17years old at <$2 an hr to pay for their 71-73. There's no way on this planet a young person could afford this without a good paying job.

And they wonder why sales have fallen. ~end rant

The black is so sleek and I'd love to feel the Eco-boost. Wonder what ford racing is cooking up for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
So true Mattrix.... I would be one of those making the comments. Can you imagine a 9.00 an hour kid like mine paying for that car? No way. Ford has jumped on the "who's cool" wave and playing to the "Hottie Set" for sales. They are selling to the crowd that "how can we be seen" group that NASCAR bet and lost their base to approximately 8 years ago that has now moved back to football.

It was Hockey

then NASCAR

then Basketball

Lately Soccor (although brief)

and you can watch nearly any NAFTACAR RACE and their are so many seats EMPTY the cameras have a hard time showcasing the crowd.

Ford will fall victim to Dodge IMHO

Mustangs have LONG SINCE moved on from being an inexpensive, entry-level young-person's car.

The current "Focus" is probably closer to the same intended market as the Mustang was originally designed for.

No one really ever mentions it much, but the Mustang "aged" and progressed through several different markets pretty quickly.

The baby 65's were cheap and sporty. They became so popular that the 2nd generation was "improved", but was to remain "unchanged" from the instant classic original model. This, of course was an impossibilty: for every "improvement" ( change) made to the then-new '67, some small bit of the original's DNA was forever altered.

Higher-performance options were added to the '67 new generation, which may have widened its overall appeal...but some small bit of the original firmyla was lost forever.

As the muscle-car craze gripped the public's crazed attention, the new '69 Mustang was again "improved" with bigger engines and improved suspensions to add a piece of that pie to its market-share.

Naturally, the car was significantly different in 69-70 from tbe original '65...and that was in only 4 or 5 years!

By the time our 71-73s came around, the car was marketed as a sophisticated, European-influenced GT-type car...a more adult-oriented personal road car as opposed to the original small and cheap "secretary's car".

Each model change marked a clear progression in the car's maturity...until it inadvertently went down the dead-end road of "Muscle Car Avenue."

The 74 Mustang II was a desperate move to try and do Ford's first feeble attempt at a "retro" style and design...hoping to recapture some lost magic in the sales department. It suceeded, but not because of Ford's marketing genius. In reality the "II" suceeded in spite of Ford's blundering out-of-touch styling and mechanicals.

By the time the 80s rolled around, the Mustang settled into its most long-lived and still-current target market: a premium car for youth-oriented adults.

I think one of the reasons I like the 71-73s so much is because of thier underdog status. Unappreciated by the ignorant, and insulted by the naive...the big 71-73s were ( and are) much more sophisticated and impressive than most realized back then...and now.

Every generation of Mustang is unique in its own way, and reflects the attitude of country and the people around it during its sales-life.

They are each special in thier own way.

Last edited:
Back