72 convertible dash swap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALLWELD488

Reaction score
My Car
1972 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE
I have two 72 mustang convertibles one im restoring and the other is a basket case, now the parts car has tilt and a dash cluster with factory tach and gages like oil, temp, and alt in center, i would like to swap the gages to mine because it just has the idiot lights, do i need to swap the whole wiring harness or will mine already have the wires back there when i tear it apart?

Yes swap it all, including the wiring - underdash and underhood

Don

I would second don's recommendation. The connector on the cluster is different. It will be much cleaner if you swap everything.

Pay close attention to how the alt meter is wired. Ford used a 'shunt' and it makes the wiring a little weird. Get a copy of the wiring diagrams.

Yup, you can't mix and match dashes and underdash wiring. You can get away with using a non-tach headlight harness in a tach dash so long as you understand there will be no leads for the ammeter, but you can't get away with using a tach-configured headlight harness in a standard dash, as the alternator light won't work.

Buy band aids - lots of band aids.

- Paul

p.s: buy band aids

I have two 72 mustang convertibles one im restoring and the other is a basket case, now the parts car has tilt and a dash cluster with factory tach and gages like oil, temp, and alt in center, i would like to swap the gages to mine because it just has the idiot lights, do i need to swap the whole wiring harness or will mine already have the wires back there when i tear it apart?
A good auto electrician shop can take care of that and set the middle guages up (a very close to looks of the original Mach 1 middle guages available, that has Ford printed on the lower half moon chrome)worth the bucks to replace the old wiring map per se and get the one for the mach 1 that handles the tach and middgle guage set up. pic of those guages on either page 7, 8, or 9 on my photo album for a closer shot.

Latest posts

Back