Carpet installation tips

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbracken

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Cobra Jet
My Mach 1 still has the original carpet set and they are turning crumbly. I've bought a replacement set from NPD and have read the accompanying instructions on the manufacturers website at accmat.com

Do you guys have any special tips beyond what the manufacturer recommends? They mention that glueing down is an option. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your tips

I did mine 2 weeks ago and all I can say is measure twice and cut once on the sill plates. Cutting the holes for seat bolts and the seat belts was a lot harder than I thought finding the holes. I also added stick on sound deadener. It was well worth the time to really quiet the cars. I will be adding to the trunk and back seat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did mine 2 weeks ago and all I can say is measure twice and cut once on the sill plates. Cutting the holes for seat bolts and the seat belts was a lot harder than I thought finding the holes. I also added stick on sound deadener. It was well worth the time to really quiet the cars. I will be adding to the trunk and back seat.
Ralph thanks - where did you source the sound deadener? Did you glue the carpet down also?

to help locate the seat screw holes, install the bolts, just about 1/4 of the way in, then all you have to do is feel for the bolt and not have to try and find the screw holes.

I bought 50 sq ft on ebay for 60 bucks. I think 100 feet would have been better because I could have done trunk also at some point. These old cars are rattley and loud in my opinion. Will take a life time to find all the little noise makers.

Install the carpet and make sure it's how you want it. I jacked the car up and heated a old phillips screwdriver till it was red hot. Then melted the carpet through the seat and seat belt holes from below the floorpan. Works great and the carpet will resist freying from your holes. You can make your holes just the right size for you bolts. I had a helper to hold carpet down around holes when I was melting it, and to check size of hole with proper bolt.

You can test how hot you need to get it with one of your remnants.

Make sure you leave a little extra rug around your sill plates, as it is easy to cut too much.

You can test how hot you need to get it with one of your remnants.
When I first read this, I thought it said you can test it with one of your roommates!!!

Back