In the future >Top end kit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73' Mustang Hardtop- 302 2v V8
If I were to get the Edelbrock Top End kit #2091 (on jegs) would I need upgrade the headers and exhaust system with it?

If so what would you guys recommend? I prefer the original sound of these mustangs. I am a newbie on exhaust but I do know it is important to match the size to the power of the engine. (engine is a 302 2V) going to be changed to a 4bbl

Everything is stock on the engine as of right now besides the pertronix electric distributor conversion with the flame thrower coil.

Last edited by a moderator:
do you still have the single exhaust? or did you upgrade to a dual?

mine still has the stock carburetor 2v 2100, and the stock cast Manifold, but I installed the 2" duel exhaust kit from MU about 6 yrs ago and it sounds great, and I think it increased the power a little.

you should check it out before the car goes away for the winter.

do you still have the single exhaust? or did you upgrade to a dual?

mine still has the stock carburetor 2v 2100, and the stock cast Manifold, but I installed the 2" duel exhaust kit from MU about 6 yrs ago and it sounds great, and I think it increased the power a little.

you should check it out before the car goes away for the winter.
The car has dual exhaust, thought that was stock?

The cam is a bit big IMO for a stock torque converter car. The rest of the parts seem great. I'd opt for the 2027 kit if your car is an automatic. If you have a manual transmission, then the 2091 kit would be more suitable.

I'd also get a Summit Racing 600 v/s carb to go with the kit. I have one on my F-100 and think it's great.

The car is an automatic. I was looking at that kit too. I have the original c4 transmission, you think it can handle the extra power? This is way down the line when I have money for this upgrade, no time soon. Maybe three years when I am out of college and have a good job.

All horsepower mods are a crapshoot. I've installed heads onto a car that then gave the bottom end a rod knock, only to be followed by a thrown rod in the next 30 miles.

Most of the time nothing bad happens, but if a component is wearing out, hopsepower mods just let you know about it sooner.

An intake mainfold and 4-barrel carb is your cheapest way to a few horsepower. Headers never hurt either. Other than that, internal engine mods like heads, camshafts, etc get more involved and expensive. Things you can do later. Depending on your rear gear ratio you could get a better carrier assy out of the junkyard and get some better performance that way. Not sure if you have an 8" or a 9".

An intake mainfold and 4-barrel carb is your cheapest way to a few horsepower.
I was going to do that this summer but I found this top end kit. Would the carb and intake be enough to feel more power when stepping on the pedal? I just cruise in this car, so it doesn't need anything crazy. But once in a great while ill floor it to "clean out" the engine ha.

I am scared of changing things in the engine unless it need fixing. The car is super reliable after replacing a couple things (more reliable than our 2002 lincoln)

I have a 302 as well and I used a factory ford 289 4bbl intake from a 65 coupe. I added a 600cfm Holley carb. As far as power is concerned you have to look at the engine as a fancy air pump. The more air you pump in (intake side) the more air needs to go out (exhaust side).

Being a automatic car a set of headers should fit nicely (factory manual 302 cars not so much, ask me how I know)

Dual exhaust I'm confident was not factory installed on 302's. Outside of headers you shouldn't need to upgrade your piping if it's in good condition. Just having duals will flow more exhaust, your restriction starts at the cylinder head where the headers are. A fancy intake, cam, and carb will be choked by restrictive cast iron manifolds.

On the budget side if things, picking up a stock set of 5.0 foxbody headers are good for a few hp and fit nicely and can e found for cheap all day long when people upgrade and sell their stockers.

If your scared of changing a whole lot just swapping headers on will give a little to the butt dyno. A steeper rear gear ratio will make the car accelerate quicker at the trade off of poorer mpgs.

Or can do like I am since 302s are dime a dozen I have a spare engine in the garage on a stand that I'm rebuilding and putting together (in the future plan) while I ride around in my crazy reliable current engine. This allows me to gather parts over time and research inbetween on what works well and what not so much. Hope that helps, we look forward to seeing where you take your coupe either way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elizabeth73,

I agree with MeZapU. Too much cam with kit 2091. It might be best to install a decent set of headers, cross over, and dual exhaust. This might lean out the engine. This might would require recalibrate of the carburetor. Also, look into a crate motor to see if it would be a better solution especially cheaper vs rebuilding yourself.

Mustang7173

I am scared of changing things in the engine unless it need fixing. The car is super reliable after replacing a couple things (more reliable than our 2002 lincoln)

more power= more problems. if you are worried about reliability, keep it stock and fix things as they break. you're smart to save the big mods for later when you can afford them.

However, a 600 cfm 4v carb, and a decent aluminum intake will save a few pounds, and make passing gear just a bit more fun. Both of which can be bought for not a lot of money. A couple of small tweeks to the timing and idle speed, and life will be good!

Thank you for all these great responses.

I will start small. First I will upgrade the intake and carb so that it is a 4bbl. Then will come new headers, and probably a new exhaust.

Before I change the exhaust I will have to hear some of your cars in person to find the sound I like (videos don't do the cars justice, I have tried). I do love the sound of my car, however I have heard some chargers with a cool metal sound, I don't know if that would be overkill with a little 302.

Would there be any noticeable difference between a 600cfm and 650cfm carb? The price difference is just $20.

Here is the intake I am looking at. Will this work well on a stock engine?

And HERE and HERE are the two carbs I am looking at.

Thank you for all these great responses.

I will start small. First I will upgrade the intake and carb so that it is a 4bbl. Then will come new headers, and probably a new exhaust.

Before I change the exhaust I will have to hear some of your cars in person to find the sound I like (videos don't do the cars justice, I have tried). I do love the sound of my car, however I have heard some chargers with a cool metal sound, I don't know if that would be overkill with a little 302.

Would there be any noticeable difference between a 600cfm and 650cfm carb? The price difference is just $20.

Here is the intake I am looking at. Will this work well on a stock engine?

And HERE and HERE are the two carbs I am looking at.

do yourself a favor

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-sl-600-vsf?seid=srese1&gclid=CJiS8aCs88ECFaKPMgodNyQAdA

As Me Zap U suggested, the Summit 600 cf. Vac. Sec. carb. Be sure to ask about the need for a Ford kick down spring and perch.

The Edelbrock Performer 302 would be a good choice with an otherwise stock engine (idle to 5500 RPM). Chuck

Now lets say I waited until I graduated from college and decided to go with a brand new crate engine.

I found THIS website that seems to have many options for a good engine.

I am kind of a purist, as I do not want to change the car from its original state; however, I think I am leaning towards a resto-mod since I am looking at upgrades.

Do you think it would be unreasonable to go with a larger engine and store the original 302? Or should I buy a new 302 crate engine with all of the upgrades for practically half the price?

What is the largest engine that can fit comfortably (without much modification). Looks like the largest engine is a 521 Stroker. Yes, I am aware I may have to change the transmission.

Now lets say I waited until I graduated from college and decided to go with a brand new crate engine.

I found THIS website that seems to have many options for a good engine.

I am kind of a purist, as I do not want to change the car from its original state; however, I think I am leaning towards a resto-mod since I am looking at upgrades.

Do you think it would be unreasonable to go with a larger engine and store the original 302? Or should I buy a new 302 crate engine with all of the upgrades for practically half the price?

What is the largest engine that can fit comfortably (without much modification). Looks like the largest engine is a 521 Stroker. Yes, I am aware I may have to change the transmission.
Elizabeth73,

Set yourself a short-term and long-term goal. Before you decide what to do, figure out how much money you can spend. This means no credit cards but cash. Even if it takes a few months to come up with enough money for a used carb and intake, you will never have buyer's remorse because you won't be looking at a credit card statement.

Set your short-term goal for Spring and your long-term goal for maybe a year after you start your post-college job. This will help you hone down what you want and can do. It can be frustrating to look at ALL options and you may make a mistake if you act too soon. Chew on advice, and study how your mods will effect your performance while you practice patience.

Back