73 emissions questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QcodeAl

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q Code Mustang 22,oo original miles. Needs restored.
Hi All, I recently joined the site after purchasing a 73 mach 1 q code with a C6 auto. This looks like a great place for info. Long story short the car only has about 22,000 miles on it and the 351 Cleveland but it has sat for a long time. The previous owner in his efforts to get it running decided to change the intake manifold to an edlebrock but never finished the job. I am working on putting it back to original as he included the original 4V intake and carb. Unfortunately a couple of the emissions parts are missing or broken. I have found a couple vacuum hose diagrams on line, purchased the set of shop manuals and the 73-79 parts manual. I cannot for the life of me chase down the parts numbers for several of these parts. I have the vacuum tree for intake and the loop is on the firewall. I have the PVS valve near the water pump, the temperature controlled vacuum valve that goes into the heater hose but am missing the "normally open solenoid valve" It looks like some cars had 2. One on the right rear of the intake ( I have this one but the nipple is broken off) and one on the left mounted on the valve cover. (Mine is missing) It appears as my wiring harness has terminations that would go to the one mounted on the valve cover. Curiously, the vacuum diagram I have found shows the cobra jet (which my car is) as only having one of these normally open solenoid vales. My car was built late. June of 1973 if that makes a difference. I am also missing the Spark delay valve and check valve if I am going by the non cobra jet diagram. So my questions are:

1) Should my car have 2 of the normally open solenoid valves ?

1a) are they the exact same ? The termination styles would tell me no. But ?

1b) what is the factory part number for them ?

1c) does any one know of a supplier ?

2) Does anyone know of someone that can help me through this issue and finding these parts ?

Here is the Q code vacuum diagram for a 73. I also have a June 73 Q code and have researched a fair amount. The 4V vacuum and sensors seem to be quite a bit simpler than the 2V cars. Happy to help if I can.

2mnoz2b.gif

Here is the Q code vacuum diagram for a 73. I also have a June 73 Q code and have researched a fair amount. The 4V vacuum and sensors seem to be quite a bit simpler than the 2V cars. Happy to help if I can.
Thanks Jeff !

I have that diagram also. Does it match your June built Q code ? That does make it a lot simpler.

If that diagram is correct for June built Q code, I need part #4 in the drawing or the part number so I can hopefully chase it down.

I will also need to take some pics of my engine wire harness that runs down the left (drivers side) valve cover. Maybe you can help me determine what goes where. I think I have most of it figured out but there are a couple mysteries. I would really appreciate it. Thanks again !

Al

Hi Al,

When I got my car it was somewhat in pieces and have had to figure out what was missing and how it hooks up. Car is currently under restoration so not completely hooked up but we should be able to figure yours out. This diagram appears to be the correct one for my/your car as I have all the items in the diagram.

The solenoid part number 4 shows up on ebay every once in a while but I just checked and did not find one. You can contact Don at Ohio Mustang as I am sure he has one. They are not reproduced.

Here is a pic of the solenoid...

2rdw4f7.jpg

Hi Al,

When I got my car it was somewhat in pieces and have had to figure out what was missing and how it hooks up. Car is currently under restoration so not completely hooked up but we should be able to figure yours out. This diagram appears to be the correct one for my/your car as I have all the items in the diagram.

The solenoid part number 4 shows up on ebay every once in a while but I just checked and did not find one. You can contact Don at Ohio Mustang as I am sure he has one. They are not reproduced.

Here is a pic of the solenoid...
Great pic Jeff. That looks just like the vacuum solenoid on my car and is in the same place. Of note is that mine has a spacer under the bracket to hold it up off the manifold. I see your car also has the vacuum loop on the fire wall with 4 ports where the drawings define 2. (mine has 4 also)

I am attaching a pic of vacuum diagram drawing 3-14A which is a 351 Cleveland with auto trans. I am suspicious that my car was set up this way because I have part number 2 in the heater hose circuit and part number 1 in the water pump. I also have some terminations in my engine harness that look like they were hooked to part number 5. I will take some pics of those connectors and post them to see if I am just not identifying them correctly. I'll get the wiring diagrams as well to see what clues are there.

Drawing 3-16A (351 cobra jet) does not have a part number 1 in the water pump. I am trying not to get hung up on that even tho my car only has 22,000 miles. The water pump could have been switched at some point with a used one in 41 years as it obviously had a rough life, even tho it sat a lot. I still have to solve the harness question if that is true.

An update to the search for the parts, Colorado Mustang has let me know that they have everything I need. I went ahead and purchased the extra solenoid and check valves just in case diagram 3-14A ends up being correct. Hopefully I will be able to post the part numbers when they arrive as he said they were new. I assumed nos but I should have asked......

I called Bob twice at Ohio Mustang. For all the good words I see about him here he has not returned my calls. I am disappointed but I am guessing he is busy.

3.14A vacuum diagram.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Al,

Despite what may be on car some 40 years later the 4V vacuum diagram is correct. I have seen a number of Q codes that I used to verify what would be correct for mine and they all used the 4V diagram.

One way to tell for absolute certain is to see if the ambient temp switch is there #9 on diagram...if NOT then you don't have that setup.

Al,

Despite what may be on car some 40 years later the 4V vacuum diagram is correct. I have seen a number of Q codes that I used to verify what would be correct for mine and they all used the 4V diagram.

One way to tell for absolute certain is to see if the ambient temp switch is there #9 on diagram...if NOT then you don't have that setup.
We are thinking alike. Lol. I spent more than a few minutes tonight peering into the door jamb on the right side. I read somewhere that it is only visible if the fender is off. I will pull it if I absolutely have to. I took some pics of the terminations that run down the left side valve cover that I will post tomorrow. I have the coil, temp sending unit, oil pressure switch, choke, the always open solenoid valve on the right rear of the manifold and the idle solenoid connectors identified. "I think" there are 2 others that make no sense to me. Is it possible they were just unused ?

Thanks for your input Jeff. Knowing that you have looked at a lot of them makes me much more confident in the 4 V diagram

yeah I'm glad i didn't get a 1973 model

tumblr_ll5yzoMAcx1qall69.gif
Lol I hear ya coupled with the fact this is my first Ford I am wondering myself. But I have always loved this body style. Friend of Mine had one in high school and I always thought it was one of the sharpest cars in the parking lot

Luckily I enjoy this part of it !

Are you sure you wish to return to factory specifications here? You could bolt down a 1971 M-code intake to avoid the EGR and multitude of vacuum lines (which will inevitably wind up in a vacuum leak within 6 months if you use cheap vacuum hose).

-Kurt

wire1.JPG

Are you sure you wish to return to factory specifications here? You could bolt down a 1971 M-code intake to avoid the EGR and multitude of vacuum lines (which will inevitably wind up in a vacuum leak within 6 months if you use cheap vacuum hose).

-Kurt
I seriously considered that. The car also came with a 4V edelbrock intake that I could have used. My reasoning was, flawed or not but it came down to the fact that it is a documented 22,000 mile car, rough as it is. I just felt like it deserved to be put back together the way it left the factory. At least as best as my time and resources will allow. Sometimes I get on to mysteries like this and although it can get frustrating. It is also very rewarding when I learn from research how it all goes and is supposed to work. Call me crazy, but I can spend days chasing this all down and then take 5 minutes to install the correct parts.

Al,

Here is the pic of the wire harness connectors that I can't tell what they are for. I have pulled the harness forward and in reality it sits more rearward. The connector that is oval shaped and laying near the front of the valve cover is for the idle solenoid on the carb. The small round female and the flat female spade hanging down a bit I thought were for another always open solenoid. Per diagram 3-14A. This would be another oddity because they should both be female flat spade, lol....So what is the small oval female and flat spade female for ? Help !

wire1.JPGwire1.JPG

in all honesty, the EGR and all those extra vacuum and electric solenoids is just asking for problems.

if your trying for factory concourse that is one thing or if you have draconian state emissions laws that require the car maintain all original emissions i could understand.

I you have the choice i would not start putting all that stuff back on the engine.

some things you should use, like the PVC and the Distributor Vaccum Control Valve, ported vacuum is fine, having a duel vacuum advance distributor is fine, fuel vapor canisters all fine.

but things like the EGR just clog everything up with Exhaust soot a smog pump is a nightmare and a joke.

spark delays cause ignition problems. speed sensors and extra vacuum motors with the age on the parts is asking for vacuum leaks and malfunctions.

you might want to just restore back to an early 73 setup that eliminates half that emissions control stuff it will look factory to people looking over the engine but you will have less issues and a better running engine.

if you really do have all the speed sensors and ambient temp sensor it might be cute to get them working, but understand that those were designed to keep the exhaust temp high to try to burn off exhaust gases then part of that is fed back into the motor intake for re-burning(before the catalytic converter) they will have negative effects on the motor running cool and clean internally, and performance wise. you could get a EGR block off plate and eliminate most of the controls under the hood and still have something that looks correct when looking under the hood. some of the stuff should be kept as it does some good but the rest is a short circuit and a vac leak bomb.

in all honesty, the EGR and all those extra vacuum and electric solenoids is just asking for problems.

if your trying for factory concourse that is one thing or if you have draconian state emissions laws that require the car maintain all original emissions i could understand.

I you have the choice i would not start putting all that stuff back on the engine.

some things you should use, like the PVC and the Distributor Vaccum Control Valve, ported vacuum is fine, having a duel vacuum advance distributor is fine, fuel vapor canisters all fine.

but things like the EGR just clog everything up with Exhaust soot a smog pump is a nightmare and a joke.

spark delays cause ignition problems. speed sensors and extra vacuum motors with the age on the parts is asking for vacuum leaks and malfunctions.

you might want to just restore back to an early 73 setup that eliminates half that emissions control stuff it will look factory to people looking over the engine but you will have less issues and a better running engine.

if you really do have all the speed sensors and ambient temp sensor it might be cute to get them working, but understand that those were designed to keep the exhaust temp high to try to burn off exhaust gases then part of that is fed back into the motor intake for re-burning(before the catalytic converter) they will have negative effects on the motor running cool and clean internally, and performance wise. you could get a EGR block off plate and eliminate most of the controls under the hood and still have something that looks correct when looking under the hood. some of the stuff should be kept as it does some good but the rest is a short circuit and a vac leak bomb.
Thanks for your input and all of that may very well happen. I'll decide as I chase the parts and systems. Do you happen to know what those terminations I have shown above go to ?

I can't see any evidence of a smog pump being on the car. But maybe those terminations are a clue.

I am hoping it is the simple Q code 4 V diagram above

I think the only thing hooked to my intake is a vacuum advance and PVC. No a/c, aftermarket carb, manual brakes and manual trans play a big part. Runs like a dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your input and all of that may very well happen. I'll decide as I chase the parts and systems. Do you happen to know what those terminations I have shown above go to ?

I can't see any evidence of a smog pump being on the car. But maybe those terminations are a clue.

Al, if you're missing any check valves, let me know. I have all the smog fittings and check valves that I pulled off my '78 Lincoln Mark V (equipped with a 400 - all 400's were 2V with exception to a few experimental Broncos, so I can't help you out with a carb plate), which may be similar to the '73 equipment on the Mustang.

Can get you a photo of what I have.

-Kurt

Al, if you're missing any check valves, let me know. I have all the smog fittings and check valves that I pulled off my '78 Lincoln Mark V (equipped with a 400 - all 400's were 2V with exception to a few experimental Broncos, so I can't help you out with a carb plate), which may be similar to the '73 equipment on the Mustang.

Can get you a photo of what I have.

-Kurt
Perfect ! Thanks Kurt, right now I think the priority is the 2 terminations (connectors) in the pic and figuring out what they are for. After that I will be able to figure out what devices I need. I have the 73 through 79 parts manual on a PDF but with 6000 plus pages it is not the most maneuverable document. The knowledge on this board is impressive ! You guys are awesome.

-Kurt
Im with Kurt

after mucking around with my 73 Q i ended getting rid of all that rubbish and the car runs way better and still looks killer

I ve kept the original look with air cleaner assembly and standard rocker covers but upgraded intake and carb

Back