15 inch steel wheels with 15" trim rings and dog dish caps

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhyatt14

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 429 Cobra Jet 4 speed Top Loader. Matching numbers, 47,000 original miles. Dark Metallic Green with Gray Two Tone.
I have a 1971 Cobra Jet Mach 1 that originally came with 15 inch steel wheels with the trim rings and dog dish hubcap. I want to bring her back to original but I am having a heck of a time locating a set of 15 in wheels. Does anyone have a set for sale or know where I could acquire a set? I appreciate the help! Thanks . -Jim

I have a 1971 Cobra Jet Mach 1 that originally came with 15 inch steel wheels with the trim rings and dog dish hubcap. I want to bring her back to original but I am having a heck of a time locating a set of 15 in wheels. Does anyone have a set for sale or know where I could acquire a set? I appreciate the help! Thanks . -Jim
Hi hope you had some luck finding wheels, but if you have not yet. Try the Wheel Smith, there located in Corona CA. the number is

800-854-8937. I got some steel wheels made there a few year back

15X10" for the back and 8" in the front. they will make the wheel any way you need them.

Just curious how did you determine your car came with 15" wheels?

Is it called out on the Invoice/WIndow sticker or Marti?

They are extremely tough to come by. My suggestion would be to use the Wheel Vintiques steel wheels then search hard for the 15 inch trim rings.

Good luck.

Ray

Hey Ray. My original Bill of sale and Marti report both confirmed the 15 inch steel wheels. My car is actually one of one in its Green Metallic/argent paint with 429CJ 4 speed and 15 inch steel wheels. I did end up buying this set that you posted on here. Like you said, a bit pricey but good luck finding a replacement full set.

Hey Ray. My original Bill of sale and Marti report both confirmed the 15 inch steel wheels. My car is actually one of one in its Green Metallic/argent paint with 429CJ 4 speed and 15 inch steel wheels. I did end up buying this set that you posted on here. Like you said, a bit pricey but good luck finding a replacement full set.
Sweet! Glad you got them for your car!

On the Boss, I want to run the factory 15x7's on the front but run the aftermarket 15x8's on the back - using trim rings and caps for all. Don65stang is running a set like that (I think).

I still need two decent 15" trim rings. :dodgy: I am hoping to trip over a set somewhere.

Ray

Sweet! Glad you got them for your car!

On the Boss, I want to run the factory 15x7's on the front but run the aftermarket 15x8's on the back - using trim rings and caps for all. Don65stang is running a set like that (I think).

I still need two decent 15" trim rings. :dodgy: I am hoping to trip over a set somewhere.

Ray
True statement. :D

As an alternative to the factory wheels the Wheel Vintiques steel wheels are nearly identical. Still no 15" trim ring replacements. The dog dish caps all have the same diameter but different finishes. The mustang caps have the brushed finish.

p235/60r15 tires are the perfect size tire that fit on the 15x7 wheels.

To run 15x8 wheels I used dog dish caps from an truck/Econoline van because they are deeper (taller). The standard mustang caps were way too short on the 15x8 wheels and looked quite odd. The van caps were the correct height in relation to the trim rings. They even looked like the mustang dishes but were slightly different.

The Wheel Vintique 15x7 and 15x8 wheels along with the van caps all left on the car I sold to JamesS in Australia. The van caps didn't have any part numbers that I could find. They weren't perfect looking but 1000% better than the Mustang caps. When installed on the 15x8 wheels the Mustang caps were at the same height as the inner lip on the trim rings. That looked very odd. The van caps are taller/deeper and on the 15x8 wheels looked close to being the correct height. The van cap height was sticking through the trim ring like normal...the inner lip of the trim ring was 1/2" or 3/4" lower than the face of the van cap.

On the front 15x7 Wheel Vintique wheel I used the regular 15" ring and mustang cap.

Looking at the front and back caps (back had the van caps) it looked correct. The cap height was different between the two but not noticeable unless you were looking for differences. The van caps were slightly shallower sitting in the trim rings. The Mustang caps protruded out the correct distance.

The van caps were from eBay and bought with a risk of them not being able to work. They worked quite well. Both the van caps and the Mustang caps all fit all of the wheels, Factory and Wheel Vintique wheels. The caps are the same as those from a 14" wheel; only the trim ring size was different.

One other thing. The 15" rings on the Wheel Vintique wheels "fit" but it took some effort and a few minutes with a rubber mallet to get them installed flush to the wheel. The Wheel Vintique wheels were slightly different (more support metal) making the trim rings a very tight fit. The 15x7s on the front were more of an issue with the rings than the 15x8 rear wheel/trim ring fit. All trim rings fit eventually on the Wheel Vintique wheels. James drove the car from Alabama to California and didn't have a problem with the rings coming loose or off...at least he didn't tell me he had a problem with them.

Here is a photo showing the 14" wheel and trim ring. Notice the narrow inner lip on the trim ring.

14 inch trim ring.jpg

Here are a few pics showing the dimensions of the 15" trim ring.

IMG-20131119-00967.jpg

IMG-20131119-00963.jpg

IMG-20131119-00966.jpg

IMG-20131119-00964.jpg

Here is a photo of the factory 15x7 wheel, 15" trim ring and mustang cap.

15-inch trim ring.jpg

Here are photos of the 15x8 Wheel Vintique rim, 15" trim ring and van cap. Note that the van caps are nearly identical to the mustang caps except they are deeper and need the dull finish polished to look like the mustang caps.

15-inch trim ring van cap wheel vintique 15x8 rim on car.jpg

15-inch trim ring van cap wheel vintique rim.jpg

Here is a photo of the 15x7 Wheel Vintique rim, 15" trim ring and a rough looking mustang cap.

15-inch trim ring van cap wheel vintique rim 2.jpg

Photo showing:

Front wheels: 15x7 Wheel Vintique rim, 15" trim ring, and mustang cap

Rear wheels: 15x8 Wheel Vintique rim, 15" trim ring and van cap (cap not polished yet)

IMG-20140201-01228 cropped.jpg

Wheel Vintique website: http://www.wheelvintiques.com/index.php/chevy-ford-o-e-62-series.html

Thanks for all the info! I'm looking to pick up a set of the WV 15"x8" rims for the back of my coupe. I'm running dog dishes, but no trim rings, so I imagine I'll just utilize my current caps. Glad to hear that they'll fit on the aftermarket rims!

I have a full set of 14" trim rings that i'll sell I'd interested.

Heck I have a full set of 15" wheels, rings, caps and new Indy 500 tires that I may consider selling as a package deal...if I don't use them on the 73 vert.

Seems like I have a second set of 14" and 15" rings that are driver quality. I should thin out some stuff I've been collecting.

Don,

I am very interested in your full set of 15" wheels, trim rings, hubcaps and tires!

Any chance to have a deal?

Thanks,

Tim
I'm not a point to sell just yet. Those are too hard to come by. I may want to use them on my 73 vert. At this point those are the only wheels I have available to put on the car unless I went with the nasty wheels that are currently on the car and that aint gonna happen. I'll keep you at the top of the list once I make the decision to sell or not. Thanks for the interest.

I'm not a point to sell just yet. Those are too hard to come by. I may want to use them on my 73 vert. At this point those are the only wheels I have available to put on the car unless I went with the nasty wheels that are currently on the car and that aint gonna happen. I'll keep you at the top of the list once I make the decision to sell or not. Thanks for the interest.
Don,

I am fully understanding that - thank you ::thumb::

Tim

I remember when I could go to the local bone yard a pick up 4 or 5 of these steel wheels for 5 bucks each. Now just try to find a decent set for less then 100.00 each. What happened to them all?

I think you can also get by with 15" Dodge trim rings. They are available new for $100 or a set. We tried those prior to me finding some unobtanium trim rings. Still looking for a pair of good 15 x 7 1970 trim rings too.

Back