Reupholstering seats...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

I have reupholstered many seats over the years. Repro seat covers and some hog-rings and hog-ring pliers and off we go...

On the set I am doing now (69 Vette), I was having some trouble getting the hog rings to clamp onto the center listing wires, and in desperation I used heavy-duty zip-ties.

Eureka! It works awesome! In fact, it is MUCH, MUCH easier than using hog rings.

You can loosely loop the zips through the foam and around all the center listing wires and back through the foam again, maneuver the seat cover exactly into place while slowly zipping each tie a little tighter until they are finally tight and secure.

I still used hog-rings on the edges of the skirts around the bottom of the frames though.

The seats came out perfect, and it probably took half to a third of the time to complete each seat..

I can't say enough how mkuch easier it all was with the zips...I definiely recommend to anyone installing new seat covers!

Last edited:
Great idea Kit in recent years I find more and more uses for zip strips. I am finding they are one hell of a great invention for so many reasons. They have helped more times than I can remember.

I used 50 thousandths aircraft safety wire and my trusty safety wire pliers on mine. I like the idea that I can tighten to desired amount and the cut and roll it over and be done with it.

Safety wire is how the OEM seat cover's center sections were attached to the listing wires, and pulled down into the foam cushion.

I didn't have any handy, but I always have plenty of zip ties in various sizes around the shops, so...it worked fine.

The safety wire probably would have been easy too...if I had any.

I did my passenger seat with safety wire and learned that I needed safety wire. My drivers seat came out much better and took way less time. Safety wire pierces the foam easily and was easier to manipulate. I plan to redo my passenger seat some day but there is no hurry.

Back