My 73's marti report

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Q code Mach 1
So, I guess this means my car did not come with clock or console? Or would the report even know that? What about the ram-air hood? I know the car didn't come with the tach and center gauges it has now...

So, I guess this means my car did not come with clock or console? Or would the report even know that? What about the ram-air hood? I know the car didn't come with the tach and center gauges it has now...
My report lists the console but no mention of the clock unless its part of the convenience group or interior décor group. No mention of the Ram Air hood either.

EDIT: Just found out that the clock came with the console.

Instrumentation Group included in the Sports Interior Option (also available with any V-8 equipped Mustang) includes a tachometer, trip odometer and triple pod oil pressure / water temperature / ammeter gauges.

Last edited by a moderator:
My report lists the console but no mention of the clock unless its part of the convenience group or interior décor group. No mention of the Ram Air hood either.

EDIT: Just found out that the clock came with the console.

Instrumentation Group included in the Sports Interior Option (also available with any V-8 equipped Mustang) includes a tachometer, trip odometer and triple pod oil pressure / water temperature / ammeter gauges.
my 73 Q lists console , interior decor group and remeber the 73 Q code was not available with Ram Air but mine has it too and I ve since found out it was Dealer fitted after delivery

Ram air hood was standard on Mach 1's and so the Marti does not list it.
Sorry man but Ram Air not factory on 73 Q code only H code look it up

Dave

Correct. According to this Marti, you would have had the shorty console, a "Mustang" center stack w/o gauges, and a solid-color NACA hood without Ram Air. The rocker panels and wheel lip moldings are also later additions which were not available from factory on a Mach.

I suspect that your speedometer cluster may have had a clock on the left, due to the shorty console. Wouldn't know enough about that detail to be sure.

You mean the NACA hood was standard on Mach 1 (not quite correct - it was a no-cost option on the absolute base 302 cars; hence, was possible to order a Mach with a base hood). Marti's reports only list the inclusion or omission of the NACA hood when a Mach 1 (05) car is an F-code. If an H, M, or Q code Mach, it's silent, and the '71 429 cars explain themselves by VIN.

Ram Air refers to the cold air plenum + intake setup only. It wasn't available on the Q in 1973 due to the snafu with federal emissions testing.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct. According to this Marti, you would have had the shorty console, a "Mustang" center stack w/o gauges, and a solid-color NACA hood without Ram Air. The rocker panels and wheel lip moldings are also later additions which were not available from factory on a Mach.
And that's the interesting part... It has the welded on factory style studs on the rockers for the molding clips. Either way, I like it and am keeping it and the fender lip moldings.

I suspect that your speedometer cluster may have had a clock on the left' date=' due to the shorty console. Wouldn't know enough about that detail to be sure.[/quote']
Center was hacked out, so I can't tell for sure.. But it was idiot lights.

IMG_0849_zps6f2621c8.jpg

You mean the NACA hood was standard on Mach 1 (not quite correct - it was a no-cost option on the absolute base 302 cars; hence, was possible to order a Mach with a base hood). Marti's reports only list the inclusion or omission of the NACA hood when a Mach 1 (05) car is an F-code. If an H, M, or Q code Mach, it's silent, and the '71 429 cars explain themselves by VIN.
Ram Air refers to the cold air plenum + intake setup only. It wasn't available on the Q in 1973 due to the snafu with federal emissions testing.

-Kurt
Yeah, I know. I just couldn't think of the other term for the hood.I was aware of the EPA keeping the ram air system from being available with 4V.

And that's the interesting part... It has the welded on factory style studs on the rockers for the molding clips. Either way, I like it and am keeping it and the fender lip moldings.
Welded? Weren't the factory clips fitted to blind rivets with a standoff to allow removal/installation of the rivets? Or am I sitting on dealer-modded rockers? Have a look at these rivets on the rockers from a now-deceased '73 Sportsroof:

fxufy9.jpg

qqtv7n.jpg

I suspect that your speedometer cluster may have had a clock on the left' date=' due to the shorty console. Wouldn't know enough about that detail to be sure.[/quote']
Center was hacked out, so I can't tell for sure.. But it was idiot lights.

IMG_0849_zps6f2621c8.jpg
Bingo. That's the back of the version with a clock + the quad pod of idiot lights surrounding the clock (another version with only the brake warning light was available if you ordered the Instrumentation Group with the shorty console):

2rztj68.jpg

...and the back:

attachment.php

Photos are from this thread, FYI: http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-unusual-dash-configuration-1971?highlight=instrument

-Kurt

My mistake. I thought they were t-studs. They are the rivets like in your pic.

Maybe it was a clock, this is with the hacked printed circuit in place:

IMG_0560_zps1d8a0933.jpg

If it was, too bad the dash clock and mini console is long gone...

My mistake. I thought they were t-studs. They are the rivets like in your pic.
Easy enough for the dealer to replicate.

Maybe it was a clock, this is with the hacked printed circuit in place:

If it was, too bad the dash clock and mini console is long gone...
Clock. Shortie console leaves no other alternative location but the instrument cluster.

Do you have a full console now? BigBlue has a spare shorty, IIRC.

-Kurt

Your car did not come with a console or console clock - it had the dash clock to compensate. The report would be silent about that, because Ford would put the clock in the instrument cluster by default if the full console wasn't selected.

NACA hood was standard on Mach 1s with H/M/Q engines, so the report is silent about it as well. Only the F-codes would have it called out. Your NACA hood is original, but the Ram Air paint and functionality is an add-on.

-Kurt

Back