• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

351 Boss intake manifold

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csgt428

Reaction score
My Car
72 "R" Mach I
72 "Q" Vert C-6
70 "J" Cobra C-6 drag pac
70 "Q" Mach 4-sp
69 "R" Mach C-6 drag pac
69 "R" Cobra FG C-6 4-sale
68 "S" CSGT 4-sp
66 GT 350 Tribute 450 HP stroker HOo HA!
Have some more but that's enough for now....
I need a Boss intake for my 72 "R" resoration. At least that is what I believe was used.... Need correct Distributor and carb as well. If anyone has a complete 72 "R" engine that would be even nicer rather than trying to piece one together. On the other hand the price would be a consideration also :s

Grant

I need a Boss intake for my 72 "R" resoration. At least that is what I believe was used.... Need correct Distributor and carb as well. If anyone has a complete 72 "R" engine that would be even nicer rather than trying to piece one together. On the other hand the price would be a consideration also :s

Grant
I have a 351c intake manifold with the very large secondary carburetor bores and the large intake ports. Don't know if it's what you're looking for. Can you pop a picture? It no longer has the vacuum fitting or plugs.. I cleaned and painted it.

73 ford 351c intake.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
From the references I have, the D1ZX-9425-CA is correct (requires a 4300D or 4350 carb). Finding a complete 72 HO motor might happen but, given the production numbers it is a stretch. I'd concentrate on the visible bits. Chuck

I have a contact that was trying to sell a nice one. Not cheap but it was nearly perfect. I'd estimate he wants like $600-$700 for it. Would you like me to get his e-mail address for you?

IMG_2120[1].JPG

IMG_2121[1].JPG

From the references I have, the D1ZX-9425-CA is correct (requires a 4300D or 4350 carb). Finding a complete 72 HO motor might happen but, given the production numbers it is a stretch. I'd concentrate on the visible bits. Chuck
I didn't know that. I ASSumed the Boss intake would use a Holley carb for some reason....Well, all my older performance Mustangs use Holleys for one.....I even have a Boss 302 intake here I'll use on my "street Boss" engine in my 68FB and IT uses a Holley.

I have a spread bore on my "Q" code convert and am not impressed with it. I wonder if they have a square bore intake that LOOKS like the Boss intake?

As far as the "visible" bits go that's what I have been working towards so far. About all I have now are the Boss valve covers and a D2ZX Damper...plus a 4-bolt D2AE-CA std shortblock w the correct HO forged flattops and closed chamber 4V heads w adjustable valve train. Thinking it'll be around 10.8 to 11 compression ratio w this combo.

Grant

I have a contact that was trying to sell a nice one. Not cheap but it was nearly perfect. I'd estimate he wants like $600-$700 for it. Would you like me to get his e-mail address for you?
OK, But I'm starting to have second thoughts now, I didn't realize it was a spread bore and don't really like the idea.... I'm hoping someone makes a square bore that looks the same.

Grant

Grant
@ the intake to a q to r code conversion w/an EFI unit~ GT 40 or Boss intake manifold. Temo set up in place of existing 2v intake manifold?

Grant
@ the intake to a q to r code conversion w/an EFI unit~ GT 40 or Boss intake manifold. Temo set up in place of existing 2v intake manifold?
Just hoping to find a square bore 4V intake that LOOKS like a BOSS intake and can still use my ram air set up. (not a high rise intake) I suppose I could just paint a square bore 70 intake aluminum.... I think I have one in my parts.

Grant

I agree the blue thunder is a great intake, I have one on the 72. Just as information, the D1ZX-9425-DA was an over the counter part that accepts the Holley carb. Chuck

I agree the blue thunder is a great intake, I have one on the 72. Just as information, the D1ZX-9425-DA was an over the counter part that accepts the Holley carb. Chuck
OHHhh.... So it would be more correct than the blue thunder, just -DA vs -CA. It is the same as the Boss otherwise?

Question, an extension about the Boss intake manifold topic that I am trying to find out is, since I took my 72 q code (351 cj) and had comp cam solid titanium lifters and Lunati Hi Performance flat top camshaft installed and all pushed my compression up to 9.5:1 and kept my Edelbrock 2 Barrel Intake Manifold of when I got it, whether the Ford GT 40 Intake Manifold adapted to my upgrade and modification of an EFI unit by Holley would show significant if any horsepower increase while maintaining the same high end torque at low mph as the same, if the Boss R code Intake Manifold .....and if any difference between these two manifolds?

Question, an extension about the Boss intake manifold topic that I am trying to find out is, since I took my 72 q code (351 cj) and had comp cam solid titanium lifters and Lunati Hi Performance flat top camshaft installed and all pushed my compression up to 9.5:1 and kept my Edelbrock 2 Barrel Intake Manifold of when I got it, whether the Ford GT 40 Intake Manifold adapted to my upgrade and modification of an EFI unit by Holley would show significant if any horsepower increase while maintaining the same high end torque at low mph as the same, if the Boss R code Intake Manifold .....and if any difference between these two manifolds?
Hi Mustang Dynasty,

I would start a new thread if I was you.... sounds like a technical question and this thread is in the "wanted to buy".

Hi there,

If you are after an intake manifold that has all the original Ford markings and accepts Holley, then try Scott Cook. The website is scmenginedevelopments.com. I have only seen one of these in person that was already on an engine, but they have a great reputation here in Australia and a lot of the GT guys here love using them as they work really well and keep that original look. I think he may have a distributor over in the US as well, as he was in with somebody over there that was going to use or used his gear in the recent Dyno Masters comp. Maybe have a look on the site and contact him about a distributor over there in the US. Hope this helps you out.

Just hoping to find a square bore 4V intake that LOOKS like a BOSS intake and can still use my ram air set up. (not a high rise intake) I suppose I could just paint a square bore 70 intake aluminum.... I think I have one in my parts.

Grant
A cheap and easy way to do square bore that supports Ram Air - if you don't mind putting a steel intake on the car - is to use a '71 M-code intake. Those were made for the 4300A, and they're almost a perfect squarebore (3/16" difference between primary and secondary holes). I don't know if this would force you into the 4300A to support Ram Air or not - I'm not sure of the stack difference between the 4300A, Holley body, or Edelbrock body.

That said, I have a Holley 4160 600cfm sitting on top of my '71 intake with zero problems. It's not Ram-Air though. Can get you a height measurement if necessary:

71_mustang_18.jpg

-Kurt

Grant
A cheap and easy way to do square bore that supports Ram Air - if you don't mind putting a steel intake on the car - is to use a '71 M-code intake. Those were made for the 4300A, and they're almost a perfect squarebore (3/16" difference between primary and secondary holes). I don't know if this would force you into the 4300A to support Ram Air or not - I'm not sure of the stack difference between the 4300A, Holley body, or Edelbrock body.

-Kurt
Yep, I took my Edelbrock Performer intake off and put the Cast Iron M-code intake back on with an Edelbrock Thunder Series carb, no issues with my Ram Air. The 71 M-code intake is a pretty darn good intake, other than being a little more cold natured (plus heavier) if anything it runs better than the performer intake. Could be because it has bigger ports than the 4V Performer. Edlebrock says they made the 4V ports smaller than those on the 4V heads to increase low end torque but I don't notice it.

Grant

-Kurt
Yep, I took my Edelbrock Performer intake off and put the Cast Iron M-code intake back on with an Edelbrock Thunder Series carb, no issues with my Ram Air. The 71 M-code intake is a pretty darn good intake, other than being a little more cold natured (plus heavier) if anything it runs better than the performer intake. Could be because it has bigger ports than the 4V Performer. Edlebrock says they made the 4V ports smaller than those on the 4V heads to increase low end torque but I don't notice it.
I've already ordered the Blue thunder so I guess I'm stuck with that unless someone has that over the counter D1ZX-DA they want to swap with me!

Grant

I am using a Blue Thunder manifold and I am liking it so far. I have read on other sites of people having the Ram Air setup using this manifold and also some saying it won't work. I plan to try to install the RAM Air system but going to have to modify the air cleaner some because the MSD distributors sit higher and don't clear the air cleaner. When I start this mod I'll document this in a thread in case it works. I am going to use a repro air cleaner because it will involve cutting the air cleaner up and I don't want to destroy an original one. Probably will start this this winter while the car hibernates.

Back