4300 D carb ???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
First ? Is this the original carb. See attached photo of the tag. Also its leaking fuel from the front of the carb. I read another post about a warped bowl. What that all about. Not sure if I shoulf fix it or replace it.

John J

carb (1024x1024).jpg

It appears it's a replacement carb for a '71,'72 (probably '73 as well) Mustang or Torino with a 351. Technically not "original" since it has a 1975 date on it, but probably the next best thing. It's what you would have got if you went to the Ford dealer for a new carb in the mid/late '70's. On the left front of the throttle plate it should have a number stamped, that should match the tag number.

Steve

This is what I have been able to determine from the tag.

It is a F4-4300D . This carburetor has a part number of D5PE-GB and used in 73-74.

Ford changed over from Autolite to Motorcraft in mid 1972. Could possibly have been used in a 72 car, we have seen late run cars getting the next model years parts so it may be the original carb. Probably hard to find now and they have the rebuild kits so might be worth trying to fix it.

Tomorrow, I'll check if my Carb still has the tag and see if it matches, mine is a 73.

The correct carb for a 73 Q code automatic is D3ZF-MA, 4 speeds is D3ZF-LA.

fp9gmo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The D5 means it's a 1975 part number.
That's what I thought too and I just found out that the second line is the rev and manufacture info so this would be revA of the design, and manufactured on Feb 23rd 1978.

I have read that ford did not change the yr code in the part number unless the design changed. I believe that you can see this on blocks and heads. If this is the case this is a 1975 original design and the part was actually produced on Feb 23 1978 so it won't be the original carb.

At another source I found this: "It is a F4-4300D . This carburetor has a part number of D5PE-GB and used in 73-74." Maybe it was an intended replacement for these model years.

Documentation for this is really vague so its hard to determine, Ford is probably the only ones that really knows.

Edit: Here is a carb decoder that I found. Tag indicates this is a replacement carb.

http://www.carburetion.com/fordnumber.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
"Also its leaking fuel from the front of the carb. I read another post about a warped bowl. What that all about. Not sure if I shoulf fix it or replace it."

Check the base plate. The 4300D's were prone to base plate cracking & warping due to over tightening the bolts.

unless you are keeping the car stock, I would change over to a Holley or (I can't believe I am saying this) an Edelbrock. It will mean either an adapter or an intake change and it will be more expensive than fixing or replacing the 4300D-but

The 4300D is like unsupported computer software. It might work just fine for a long time, but when it doesn't getting it repaired is harder, more expensive and time consuming. If you run a Holley 4150 Vacuum Secondary 750 and it fails, there is another one available at every auto parts store in America (well almost) and more importantly parts and people familiar with tuning them.

If the 4300D was a great carburetor in the first place like the old 4100's then I might differ in my opinion, but to my knowledge it wasn't anything special.

The 4300D is correct for 71-73 mustangs, i dont know if carb numbers exactly match year designations in the same way other parts do. Maybe they do. But Ford thought the aggressive spread bore design was a good design and used it on all their V8's with HP needs. The 4300d was always toublesome though. And going Holly requires a new intake under MOST applications. The concours people spend a lot of time and a LOT of money on correct carbs. Not a good investment IMO.

unless you are keeping the car stock, I would change over to a Holley or (I can't believe I am saying this) an Edelbrock. It will mean either an adapter or an intake change and it will be more expensive than fixing or replacing the 4300D-but

The 4300D is like unsupported computer software. It might work just fine for a long time, but when it doesn't getting it repaired is harder, more expensive and time consuming. If you run a Holley 4150 Vacuum Secondary 750 and it fails, there is another one available at every auto parts store in America (well almost) and more importantly parts and people familiar with tuning them.

If the 4300D was a great carburetor in the first place like the old 4100's then I might differ in my opinion, but to my knowledge it wasn't anything special.
Jeff, Really, an Edelbroke! Just kidding. Chuck

I sent mine to Kurt at KP carbs. I understand he is a former employee of Pony (before the move) and is continuing to do that caliber of work. I didn't think it was too bad cost wise. He is finishing it up this week so I will be able to report more later on how it works.

I sent mine to Kurt at KP carbs. I understand he is a former employee of Pony (before the move) and is continuing to do that caliber of work. I didn't think it was too bad cost wise. He is finishing it up this week so I will be able to report more later on how it works.
Yes Kurt of KP Carbs goes by the name of Carbontooters1 on ebay.

See my recent post on another thread about work I had KP Carbs/Carbontooters do earlier this year

link below

KP Carbs- Carbontooters1

I think maybe he is too cheap for the level of work required/expected and possibly is not doing all the work himself and sub-contracting with all the problems that can involve?

Back