Finally Home!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible 351c 4v 4 speed

2013 Mustang Boss 302
It has been a long wait but well worth it. Back on September 6th I found Kit Sullivan's post about a 71 Mach 1 429 SCJ 4 speed for sell and I quickly sent him a PM to inquire. We emailed back and forth and the next day finalized the deal. Kit's reputation on this board made me very comfortable in deciding to buy the car without making a trip to Florida to see it in person. He is a real gentleman and a man of his word. He worked with me to get a good bit of work done on the car that it needed before I had it shipped. It needed a new clutch, new seals in the transmission and new rear end gears. Just before the car was picked up by Reliable Carriers the battery died and he replaced it with a new Interstate. He also graciously threw in, at no charge, a reproduction Autolite battery he had originally purchased for his own 429 but never installed. If you ever have the opportunity to work with Kit in purchasing a car I can tell you that you can feel comfortable knowing you are in good hands. Thanks Kit!!!

There are still a few things I'm going to have done. For one it has a cheap Midas exhaust on it and isn't anywhere near loud enough. So I have it scheduled at a local exhaust shop for a new 2.5" custom made, all stainless system with Flowmaster Super 40s. Should give her the real mean sound I'm looking for. Then eventually she needs to shocks and springs all around. Other than that she is ready to drive and enjoy which is great since convertible season is almost done.

Some of you may remember I previously owned a 2013 Boss 302. Back after I bought my 71 convertible in February I actually traded that car in on a Shelby GT500. But after several months of owning my convertible I decided that the old cars are just so much more enjoyable to drive for me than the new ones. So I sold my GT500 to pay for my new Mach 1. I'll have to get a picture soon of my 2 71s together.

Thanks to everyone on the forum who has posted so much information. I know so much more today about our beloved "big ponys" than I did when I started. The chance to own a rare big block muscle car is a life long dream for me.

And now for the pictures!

That is a very nice looking car! Cool you gave some props to Kit. Sounds like it all has gone very well.

I enjoy seeing cars that did not come with side tape stripes - without side tape stripes!!!!

Classic look.

Ray

Joel,

I'm glad the car made it to you without incident. Whew!

I didn't tell you, but the truck driver could not get the car backed up onto the trailer at the pick-up point, and nearly backed it off the side of the ramp. I convinced him I could get it up there, since I have been driving one of these coffin-like boxes for years! He let me do it, all without incident.

I would really like to give you a bit of advice, though: I really think putting a full 2.5" inch exhaust on that car is massive overkill. I can almost guaraentee you won't like the performance results.

That engine is basically a stock SCJ, with stock CJ manifolds. Remember, these cars did easy 13.5 quarters with the factory 1 & 7/8" exhaust!

A big 2.5" inch exhaust on this engine will rob you of a large portion of your bottom-end torque. It will give slightly more power on top-end, but unless you are planning to live at the drag-strip (please don't!), you will almost never realize that potential.

A nice 2" exhaust will keep all that wonderful low-end torque you like for street-driving and will be MUCH EASIER to fit!

Those Flowie Super-40s will be loud, but boy will they sound awesome! That car deserves to make a little noise.

Of course, you can do whatever you prefer...I just wanted to weigh in on the exhaust.

Here is a pic of the car waiting to make the trip to Texas!

Thanks again for for the kudos!

I love this place!

Copy of Joel Blagg Mustang 013.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet car and I am jealous. Well done TXBoss and Kit. This forum is a very unique place where everyone seems to genuinely want to help each other props to the whole forum and staff we seem to have a great thing going here. Still Jealous :cool:

Welcome to the 429 club, you will enjoy it for sure.

I have to second what kit said about the exhaust pipes. I have 3" pipes with headers on my 1973 (429 engine) I hate it. My 1971 429 all stock fits right and the proformance difference is not much at all.

Beautiful jewel - and stripeless with a correct Tu-Tone hood stencil to boot! A sight to behold, indeed. Love it.

Best wishes to you and your new machine from another fellow who feels the same way about new cars. It's not and never will be the same!

-Kurt

Back