Is it NASA or NACA?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1973grandeklar

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V
1972 Mustang 'Q' code Mach 1
I have looked at some other threads about this same issue, but none seem to definitively call the hood one way. Is it both?

The reason I ask, I am talking to a self described mustang expert and I called it a NACA hood and he said I was wrong it is a NASA hood. Who is right?

My memory kinda sucks but I am almost sure it is referred to both ways in Fords own documentation. I can't find it right now but I do believe the Ford docs have been posted on this sight showing it both ways.

NACA was the predecessor to NASA which developed the duct.

Last edited by a moderator:
NACA everyone always says Nasa.

N.A.C.A. Stands for National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics. It was started in 1915 by Congressional legislation. They became NASA.

If you are referencing the actual duct - it is formally called a "NACA duct" because the duct was developed for the aviation industry to promote the speed/movement of air (either forced or drawn) from a relatively flat surface. The agency was still named National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) at the time (1945). It (NACA) was dissolved and 'absorbed' back in 1958 by the new National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). Hmmm wasn't this about the Russian 'Sputnik 1' scare? Hmmmm.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NACA_duct

Anyway here is a pic of the actual duct as developed back in '45 and it is still used today in both the aviation and automotive industries:

NACA_submerged_inlets.jpg

Ray

Ok, here's the story:

The design of the scoop was designed in the 1940s by NACA (National Advisory Committee on Aeronautics). The scoop design became popularly known as a "NACA ducted scoop".

When designing the 71 Mustang, it was decided early on that the scooped hood would feature a scoop design inspired by a NACA scoop, due to its more-advanced and modern appearance. It is not quite an authentic NACA scoop functionally, but pretty damn close visually.

As mentioned above, NACA was renamed NASA in 1957, and subsequently NASA became quite prominent in the public eye due to the crazed enthusiasm the public had for all things NASA and "space".

Ford's marketing department decided that the term NACA was outdated and that NASA had the public's attention, and fudged things a bit and named the hood the "NASA hood", and referred to the scoops as "NASA scoops".

There really is no such thing as an official "NASA scoop", other than what Ford sold on the big 'stangs.

I don't think Ford ever referred to them as "NACA".

Last edited:
Well it gets a little weird in 1971 the ford literature called them "Aero-Style air scoops"

in 1972 and 1973 they called them "NASA-type hood scoops"

eventually everyone started to call them NASA or NACA scoops.

the design is NACA so that always made the most sense.

Ford never called them NACA only NASA, people would always argue about the C and S swap being a possible spelling mistake but it is what it is.

now a couple of chevys used the same scoop designs and it was called NACA in their literature.

Holden Ford in Australia called them NACA as well.

its possible there was a license issue or a trademark issue who knows.

"NACA." Because the duct is still called a "NACA duct," and "NASA hood" just sounds dumb. 'Nuff said. ;) :D

rofl

They are not true NACA ducts...the uneven and lopsided style and rounded edges make them far less efficient than an authentic and properly proportioned NACA duct.

The actual functional value of the Mustang's ram-air system was far less important than the value of the styling and the "image".

And it must be an age thing, but I think "NASA" hood sounds cool, baby!

I don't believe there is an exact formula for a 'properly proportioned' NACA duct. Nothing says they must be symmetrical, or adhere to any kind of proportionally correct template.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NACA_duct

I'm also a huge fan of NASA (still pissed the Shuttle program was stood-down without a viable replacement)... but using technology from a certain time, then changing the name just because it 'sounds cool' is kinda lame, IMHO. Even NASA still calls 'em NACA ducts - how's that for irony? ;) :D

I have looked at some other threads about this same issue, but none seem to definitively call the hood one way. Is it both?

The reason I ask, I am talking to a self described mustang expert and I called it a NACA hood and he said I was wrong it is a NASA hood. Who is right?
believe called NASA for 71-2 and 73 as NACA

If you are referencing the actual duct - it is formally called a "NACA duct" because the duct was developed for the aviation industry to promote the speed/movement of air (either forced or drawn) from a relatively flat surface. The agency was still named National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) at the time (1945). It (NACA) was dissolved and 'absorbed' back in 1958 by the new National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). Hmmm wasn't this about the Russian 'Sputnik 1' scare? Hmmmm.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NACA_duct

Anyway here is a pic of the actual duct as developed back in '45 and it is still used today in both the aviation and automotive industries:

Ray
though i have a pic of a 70Alfa Romeo Milano Montreal describing the single duct as the NACA hood

"NACA." Because the duct is still called a "NACA duct," and "NASA hood" just sounds dumb. 'Nuff said. ;) :D

rofl
agree HEARD ie NACA ducts and NASA

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the input. So if I get the information presented, Ford marketed as a NASA hood, but it is functionally designed as a NACA scoop. Therefore, we were both right in calling this a NACA hood and a NASA hood.

Back