car drifts to right

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
Replaced all the front end suspension and steering monkey motion except the drag link and pitman arm (it had very slight play). Took the car in for alignment and they did a great job, it drove straight. Since then I replaced my pitman arm as the last link in the front end overhaul. Now the car drifts to the right. I didn't think that changing the pitman arm would effect the alignment as it is not adjustable. Is it possible that this arm is made slightly different than the old one? It went on fine with no real problem.

There is a considerable amount of slop in the mounting holes. If the new one was not put in the exact same place ( not likely) as the old one the alignment will be off. also the alignment was done with a warn unit in place. realignment will fix it.

There is a considerable amount of slop in the mounting holes. If the new one was not put in the exact same place ( not likely) as the old one the alignment will be off. also the alignment was done with a warn unit in place. realignment will fix it.
I agree, a very slight difference in mounting location or construction of the arm will change the steering geometry.

I agree, a very slight difference in mounting location or construction of the arm will change the steering geometry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
the old pitman arm could of also been bent i have seen that.

there could of also been a difference between new and old in how the splines were aligned by the maker.

Replaced all the front end suspension and steering monkey motion except the drag link and pitman arm (it had very slight play). Took the car in for alignment and they did a great job, it drove straight. Since then I replaced my pitman arm as the last link in the front end overhaul. Now the car drifts to the right. I didn't think that changing the pitman arm would effect the alignment as it is not adjustable. Is it possible that this arm is made slightly different than the old one? It went on fine with no real problem.
my driver side front frame rail was replace from a former accident that pushed it up an inward but a fabricated replacement which was not adjusted to fit w/laser measure precision but unless i am going over 100mph ~w/manual steering not a problen foq an drift and over steer for correcting.

Back