Thoughts On This Swap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdM

Reaction score
Between the Texas Hill Country and North Idaho
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code, a 427 Dart based Windsor, Pro Flo 4, Tremec 5 speed, A/C, 12.7:1 steering conversion, SoT coil over and Dakota Digital dash.
Well I have decided to go for it with my recently acquired '73 Mach 1 and do an engine and tranny swap putting the original Q code engine and top loader in storage. I do not plan on selling the car and will be retiring in February so am looking to enjoy the hell out of. It needs a full front suspension and steering rebuild that I will do but have not yet decided on the "kit". The rest of the car has been pretty well redone by the previous owner. I want a quick yet very streetable and reliable car. The rear end is a 3:50 Tracklock.

While I was home from Korea a few weeks ago I dropped by Smeding Performance which is just 30 minutes from the house. Nice guys and a very nice new shop filled with a number of engines ready to ship. I am considering the engine in the link below with a full serpentine system. The car has factory A/C (not working) and PS. They said the engine generally makes 470-480 horsepower. Loads of torque where most used. Note they do make a hairier version but I am thinking for my needs the lessor engine would be fine.

http://www.smedingperformance.com/ford/427+Windsor+460+Horsepower.html

For the transmission I am looking at the Tremec TKO 5 speed with a .64 OD. Current wheels/tires are 15" Magnum 500's with 235 and 255-60 BFG's front and rear. I am kicking around a swap to 17" wheels with appropriate tires. This trans would have 70 mph happening at 2200 rpm or so where the engine is likely making around 375 ft-lbs of torque at the wheels. A shift drop into 4th and it should make 425 or so ft-lbs at the wheels. Seems like a good fit.

Would appreciate your thoughts on all of this and, perhaps, a view on quarter mile times this combo might allow. Anything I am missing? Thanks in advance.

acj2h.jpg

Yup the 427 ford racing crate motor is a monster and a blast to

drive... this one mounted in a 70 stang most fun I had in years!

It sells on CJ for 11K without induction.

This one was full roller cam etc made 600+ HP it is based on the boss 302 platform was backed up with tremec 6 sp.

Regards

Paul

acj2h.jpg

Yup the 427 ford racing crate motor is a monster and a blast to

drive... this one mounted in a 70 stang most fun I had in years!

It sells on CJ for 11K without induction.

This one was full roller cam etc made 600+ HP it is based on the boss 302 platform was backed up with tremec 6 sp.

Regards

Paul
I have looked at those and have read mixed reviews on them and Ford support. The one I am considering is a full roller built on a Dart block. He does a 570 HP version but I think that is more than I need for what I am after. Also, I wanted the builder nearby.

I see you are in Martinez. Small world. I grew up in Pittsburg and started my career at the Shell refinery in Martinez. Spent 10 years working there.

Just had a look at the specs looks good for the dough by Aus standards. Did notice the 560hp versions is only a grand more but I guess it depends on what you want. Either way I think your on a winner if you are confident in there ability. TKO would be a nice way to round it out too

Last edited by a moderator:
The rear end is a 3:50 Tracklock.

They said the engine generally makes 470-480 horsepower.

For the transmission I am looking at the Tremec TKO 5 speed with a .64 OD. Current wheels/tires are 15" Magnum 500's with 235 and 255-60 BFG's front and rear. I

Would appreciate your thoughts on all of this and, perhaps, a view on quarter mile times this combo might allow. Anything I am missing? Thanks in advance.
Presuming 3600 lb'ish curb weight with 200 lbs driver, makes 3800 lbs. 460 crank hp, app. 13 % parasitic losses through modern TKO + 9". By the dragracing formulas in best trim, perfect fast shifts, drag race suspension it would go to as low as 12.20s area with 111 mph trapspeeds. Back to real world, I would guess from 12.6 to 13.30s timeslips depending from the tires with 109-111 mph trapspeeds. Should be plenty of fast for street cruising.

You didn't ask, but I would also consider the 560 hp version just because "you can". With Dart block, Smeading uses 4.000" stroke. I might consider going with even longer stroke just because the block can take it. It's been noticed that the bigger cid just makes more power. 460hp 427cid would be a nice powerplant though, anyway you chooce to go, can't complain obviously.

Offtopic....

But whetever you do, don't install a 427 badges - I mean every FE guy goes nuts when they see the badges but once you start the engine they can hear from the sound that its not an FE. I'm a purist... ;)

Well I have decided to go for it with my recently acquired '73 Mach 1 and do an engine and tranny swap putting the original Q code engine and top loader in storage. I do not plan on selling the car and will be retiring in February so am looking to enjoy the hell out of. It needs a full front suspension and steering rebuild that I will do but have not yet decided on the "kit". The rest of the car has been pretty well redone by the previous owner. I want a quick yet very streetable and reliable car. The rear end is a 3:50 Tracklock.

While I was home from Korea a few weeks ago I dropped by Smeding Performance which is just 30 minutes from the house. Nice guys and a very nice new shop filled with a number of engines ready to ship. I am considering the engine in the link below with a full serpentine system. The car has factory A/C (not working) and PS. They said the engine generally makes 470-480 horsepower. Loads of torque where most used. Note they do make a hairier version but I am thinking for my needs the lessor engine would be fine.

http://www.smedingperformance.com/ford/427+Windsor+460+Horsepower.html

For the transmission I am looking at the Tremec TKO 5 speed with a .64 OD. Current wheels/tires are 15" Magnum 500's with 235 and 255-60 BFG's front and rear. I am kicking around a swap to 17" wheels with appropriate tires. This trans would have 70 mph happening at 2200 rpm or so where the engine is likely making around 375 ft-lbs of torque at the wheels. A shift drop into 4th and it should make 425 or so ft-lbs at the wheels. Seems like a good fit.

Consider asking them about a quasi-custom build, things like substituting AFR-185/195 heads for the Eds, a matching cam, and an increased capacity oil pan. I'd also find out if the shifting problems on the 2-3 gear change have been fixed on the TKO transmissions. Have fun with the build and retirement. Chuck

I'd also find out if the shifting problems on the 2-3 gear change have been fixed on the TKO transmissions. Have fun with the build and retirement. Chuck
I had the shifting problem on my new TKO600 from 2nd to 3rd. After 1000 miles or so (from new) the symptoms went away, not sure is the TKO600 going to break up soon or did it just settled in and started to work. No more problems, shifting from 2nd to 3rd with 6500 rpm and not a single shift miss in the last three years. If I would buy now a transmission, I would consider either stock TKO600 or Liberty prepared TKO600 just for kicks.

Cool idea you have with a Smeding Performance engine. I have not heard anything bad about them. A guy here in Denmark have used them for he's Eleanor (the new version) and it sounds to be a badass engine. The engine he got is a 427 like the one you are thinking about :)

As for the TKO600, I don't have any experience with it, but when the other guys say there are some troubles with them, then I get a little bit concerned, because when my engine is done I want one for mine to. Does anyone else have these problems? Would be really nice if others could share there experiences with these transmissions, because I don't want to spend that kind of money if there are a lot of problems with them.

For the price, I think you could do a bit more if you had it build custom. 427w or even a 438w if you go with a 4.100" stroke. For the heads, I would look at the AFR-205's. The supplied cam seems a tad on the small side. 222/232 @ .050"? That would pass California emissions. I would look in the 232/240 @ .050". Just me.

Have you looked at his 560 HP version? We emailed and I will see both versions run via others dyno's. Note I am just chasing HP. That bit is easy.

Back