R&R Fuel tank

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkrueger34

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
I am considering R&R my fuel tank.

The reason is that the old gas, and age of the vehicle has destroyed the inside of the tank. It has also destroyed the fuel lever meter and float, along with the rest of the sending unit.

My questions are,

1.) When I buy a fuel tank and sending unit(I think that is what it is called that I am looking for). Is there anything else that I should look for and purchase while I am getting after the tank.

2.) Is there anyone who has undergone this process, and is there any advice?

3.) What is the best site to purchase the parts on?

Thanks so much for reading, and I hope you can help.

-Joe

Rest & Relaxation? Not sure what R&R means, but I'm guessing you want to scrap your old and get new. I'd get in touch with Don at Ohio Mustang Supply. If he doesn't have everything you need, He'll probably steer you in the right direction.

I'm thinking you need a new tank and sending unit. While you're at it, check the rubber hose bits... there is a short rubber hose from the tank the a hard line that runs along the drivers side rail. Then in the front of the car, another short rubber hose to the fuel pump, which is attached to your engine block.

Pretty much a straight fwd removal/install. You will also need a new seal for the tank to filler tube connection as well. Don (Ohio Mustang) can supply everything that you will need. Give him a call, his number is on the banner in the Market Place section of this site.

Ive done it. Its really simple. Just be careful not to crack your filler pipe or snap any of the hoses when taking it out.

Use a jack to hold it up while you're undoing everything.

You need to be careful sourcing the sending unit. There was a run of re-pop units that had the fuel line oriented incorrectly. That's why people recommend Don at OMS. He makes sure the stuff is right.

You need to be careful sourcing the sending unit. There was a run of re-pop units that had the fuel line oriented incorrectly. That's why people recommend Don at OMS. He makes sure the stuff is right.
Weren't some of them swelling from the fuel as well?

-Kurt

Back