License Plates

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73' Mustang Hardtop- 302 2v V8
So I am curious, and this may seem like a dumb topic...

How do you guys feel about front license plates? I love the look of the front of these cars but every time there is a front license plate it ruins it for me.

I live in a state where both front and back license plates are needed, however I am contemplating taking the front plate off. Do any of you drive without a front plate in a state where one is required?

And yes I know it would be stupid to get a ticket just because I don't like the look of front plates, but I am curious. None of your answers will influence my decision.

And thank you for humoring my dumb question haha.

I have to agree w ya. Missouri requires both on cars. I run w/o the front on my '69 but keep it under my seat ( to avoid a ticket. Lol)

I have gotten pulled over by the state police many times here in RI, the last time was a $100 fine because of the many warnings.

my front plate stays on now, I don't have the Antique plates, I have the regular wave, but I was going to get either the "lighthouse plate" or the "Mr potato head toy plate" just to change it up.

but I do agree, it looks better with out the plate, but here in Ri we have many choices of plates we can get.

here are a few examples.

image1s.jpg

images.jpg

images1.jpg

images3.jpg

images4.jpg

images6.jpg

images7.jpg

untitled.jpg

images13GUN58W.jpg

imagesH2DDQ175.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There are no dumb questions here. So we require dual plates here too. Like you I wish we didn't need the front because of the look. So my only outlet was to get plates "I like". I didn't want personalized plates so I got period correct plates "71" for the the 71 an "67" plates for the convertible.

No you "might" get away with it due to the fact its a classic?? but taking a chance for certain.

No front plate required in TN. If you have it registered as a Collector plate you can run a period correct plate on the car as long as you maintain the collector plate in the car at all times.

I would agree that the front plate looks like an afterthought in the design. I am running the dealership plate in front and a 1972 Utah plate in back where the car was originally sold.

1972 2.jpg

1972 31.jpg

rpmcarter,

as of now we cant use Period correct plates, but they are working on it, hopefully by next year we can.

unfortunately the RI 67'-77' plates look ugly and plan in my opinion.

they way the want to do period correct plates, is you can run dual registration on the car, an Antique plate and the period correct plate, you can display the front and back with the period correct plate but you must maintain the antique plate reg, and also it can be used only to and from a car show or cruise night, parades, and to and from a repair facility, then antique registration cant be used for a daily driver.

this is what they currently have.

http://www.dmv.ri.gov/registrations/antique/

the above reasons is why I keep regular registration on my car, so I can use it as I please, and keep the cops off my back.

imagesG8ZBTI1D.jpg

I see people in RI driving around without them all the time in my area, however I always go in Massachusetts and I don't know If I would need a front plate there if I am from ri? There are always state troopers on route six.

I have nice metal 1973 Mustang license plate frames that make it look much better, but I still want to take the front plate off. Yet they were pretty pricey and I would feel like I was throwing money in my trunk. Kinda like the new valve covers I bought. I don't know yet if I want to keep the engine bay stock in appearance or dress it up, but that's another disscusion.

I am assuming the license plate bracket is just bolted on the underside of the car? I have not looked. I know it is painted the same color as my car, at one point I thought it was welded on. Silly me.

Hi Elizabeth,

Here in Queensland, Australia where i live, both plates are compulsory. My State offers personalised plates that are American sized if you want. I bought mine for $450.00 Aus, and put a '73 plate surround on as well for show. Might end up taking that surround off later. I sprayed it gold to match the car color.

Our State Government offers a big choice of personalised plates, and you get to design your own plates any way you want. Prices range from $195.00 to $5,000.00 for the most expensive personal plate.

http://www.ppq.com.au/CreateAPlate.aspx

At the end of the day, it's what you want to do yourself for the look you want.

003.JPG

Greg.:)

rpmcarter,

as of now we cant use Period correct plates, but they are working on it, hopefully by next year we can.

unfortunately the RI 67'-77' plates look ugly and plan in my opinion.

they way the want to do period correct plates, is you can run dual registration on the car, an Antique plate and the period correct plate, you can display the front and back with the period correct plate but you must maintain the antique plate reg, and also it can be used only to and from a car show or cruise night, parades, and to and from a repair facility, then antique registration cant be used for a daily driver.

this is what they currently have.

http://www.dmv.ri.gov/registrations/antique/

the above reasons is why I keep regular registration on my car, so I can use it as I please, and keep the cops off my back.
yeah I get it. We are not suppose to run ours either, like yours except shows cruise in's, repair shops, parades etc..... seems like I'm ALWAYS on my way to the repair shop :D

Funny.... I was getting my car/plates registered and the lady says... Missah Cattha you knows you cant be drivin dis cah everywhah. Youz can only drive it to cah shows, parADES, and fo repears. YOU caint be dri'vn it to dah stoh.

Me: Ma'm if I was stupid enough to drive this car to the store...I would DESERVE a ticket!

Her...."oh mY I show understand"

Ma'm if I was stupid enough to drive this car to the store...I would DESERVE a ticket!
So, Dana, in your book I'd be entitled to at least three or four tickets a week.

Only yesterday I drove mine to our Home Depot equivalent to pick up a window for my basement that I put in the backseat. :)

I love the way people look at you when you do that. :)

I have to agree w ya. Missouri requires both on cars. I run w/o the front on my '69 but keep it under my seat ( to avoid a ticket. Lol)
I'm in MO and do the same thing. I run a "Ford Racing" Logo Plate on the front and keep the MO license plate for the front under the seat.....

Ma'm if I was stupid enough to drive this car to the store...I would DESERVE a ticket!
So, Dana, in your book I'd be entitled to at least three or four tickets a week.

Only yesterday I drove mine to our Home Depot equivalent to pick up a window for my basement that I put in the backseat. :)

I love the way people look at you when you do that. :)
I would also have tickets stacked up if that were the case. I can't help myself. When the weather is nice you are guaranteed to see me driving it around- whether or not it was for a cruise or my errands. The most important thing is to park it where no one goes.

I still haven't taken off my front plate to see what the car looks like without it. Right now it is in the driveway with hardly any brakes.. I noticed that it was hardly stopping when my foot was to the ground. I suspect I have a leak or my master cylinder is faulty. Until that is fixed I can't drive it (it figures we are having decent weather when this happens) :(

Back