The other money pit - 67 GT

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse)
67 GT S-Code 4sp
Well the 67 did not weather the drive to Charlotte and back in April for the 50th as I had hoped. I was following a buddy in his 2014 mustang and as we approached the last turn off of the interstate the brakes went all the way to the floor before grabbing hold. The car was not touched until late June when I decided to get to the repairs and some upgrades. Pulled the motor and attended to the brake problem.

Brake Problem:

The Cigar valve in the back lines was original and had finally siezed in the bore. As a pressure release when this happens there is a small bleeder valve covered by an O ring. During the drive I was losing fluid through the bleeder until the system became so low I lost pressure. I replaced the valve and had the booster rebuilt as it was also loosing pressure.

Engine:

The engine was starting to loose oil near the end of the trip. When I parked the car at home to unload it left a bit of a puddle at the back of the motor on the driveway. It appears to have been leaking out at the back of the drivers side valve cover. So instead of replacing the valve cover gasket lets replace the cam. Logical right. I had wanted to replace the cam for awhile so lets use this as an excuse. Replaced the cam and valve train components, installed FPA Tri-y headers, and hoped to also swap the intake. Upon closer inspection of the intake valves it looked the guides were worn so the intake has to wait to pay for the head work. Well, might as well get some clutch work done as well as it was starting to show some age. Now the summer has been shot for driving the 67 and I will probably get the engine installed in the next week or so depending on work.

Before:

P1010516.JPG

P1010517.JPG

During:

P1010577.JPG

P1010578.JPG

Now:

P1010580.JPG

P1010581.JPG

P1010583.JPG

Went with a Comp Cams 268H. Duration 268/268, lift 494/494. Wanted just a good street cam. A friend did one of these in a 67 GTA with a 390 and was very impressed with the torque. Felt it outperformed some of the other big blocks he worked on. Over the winter plan to install a 3:50 posi and set aside the open 3:00 currently in it. Goal is to freshen it up with a little more power but with the ability to return it to stock with little difficulty in the future. Missed out on an intake do to the headwork. That intake weighs over 100 lbs. I had to use the engine hoist to lift it off and place it back on. My plan is to drop the motor back in with the headers on it. Hope that works. Several FE folks from another forum have indicated it should not be a problem. Also plan to swap over to a TC rack and pinion when I have the money. These headers are designed to work with their setup.

The headers do look really nice and they better for the the price. They definitly hug close the the block. So close I had to do a bit of tweaking on the drivers side just below the clutch Z-bar bracket. I removed a little material from the block and had to make a little modification to the header. Nothing like taking a hammer and pipe to your brand new VERY expensive ceramic coated headers. It actually did less damage than I thought it would. I heated the section of header with a heat gun set on high and concentrated it around the area for the hit. With the ceramic and pipe good and hot I took a 1" black pipe and a couple of hits with a hammer on the black pipe made enough of a dimple to get good clearence for the header flange to seat properly. After this modification I had to go in and change my undergarments.

P1010584.JPG

P1010585.JPG

P1010586.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back