Best deal on crate engine

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryceson.willis

Reaction score
Hello everyone

Ive been restoring this car sloooowly and looking to pick up the past in the near future. I want to get a crate engine for my 68 mustang GT with the 302. Not looking to make it a hot rod just and every day driver.

What company do you guys suggest I go with? The current motor runs fine. [emoji41]. So I want a reliable engine and warranty. I also going to need a transmission to I think.

Thanks

uploadfromtaptalk1414694497987.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1414694536075.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You can find small block 302 motors anywhere for cheap. I'm sure that there are some good machine shops in Louisiana that will build a nice solid motor cheaper than buying a crate motor. If they are local and you have problems, won't be as much of a hassle as trying to get service from a shop hundred or thousands of miles away.

A reputable shop will blueprint your motor setup based on your goals and should give you a fair estimate including a warranty. I'd go with a nice used 302 block with a 331 rotating assembly and a nice set of cylinder heads, headers, etc. Add a nice solid C4 Transmission and you should be ready to go.

Good luck on the projecdt.

I agree. I hear many horror stories about people getting bad crate engines. Rebuilding a good solid used one using a reputable shop will improve your chances of being happy and protected by their warranty.

Back