Top 5 oddest classic car features

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, not sure a rim-blow wheel was ever offered by any other manufacturer than Ford.

Last edited:
There are rumors that Olds, Buick, Lincoln, Mopar, Cougar could have a similar product.

OER® reproduction of the Rim Blow steering wheel center cap for 1970-71 E-Body models and 1971 A & B-Body models with the S83 wood grain Rim Blow steering wheel option

I realize you choose not to recognize Mopar as a competitive product from 71 to 73, but you probably don't want to recognize Buick as well. With that said...your right it doesn't exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dates of rim blow installation:

AMC - 1970–1971

Chrysler - 1970–1973

Dodge - 1970–1974

Plymouth - 1970–1973

Ford - 1969–1974

Mercury - 1969–1974

Lincoln - 1970–1974

Cadillac - 1969

Buick - 1969–1971

Oldsmobile - 1969–1971

I like the first three on the list. But what is so odd about a rim blow and Hurst dual gate shifter? I can imagine that there were options that were more odd than these?

Off the top of my head:

Before A/C you had this swamp cooler type option.

How about the talking car fad! I think this one only lasted a few years as no one liked their car telling them what to do. "Please fasten your seat belt."

I also remember the 1974 GTO (and other similar GM models) had this funky tent option for the hatchback!

Yes. I found a picture of the tent option:

1974_GTO_TentOption_Rear.jpg

We had them in Aus for Toranas too

2r6czfs.jpg
[/img]

And here is the ad for US GM

105qyoy.jpg
[/img]

How about push-button transmissions, rear-wheel steering, Cadillac's "V-8/6/4", Pontiac's "Rope-Drive", GMs "invisible" windshield antennas, Subaru's "cyclops" pop-open off-road light, or the fabulous boat/car thing from the 60s?

I have a 1950 Ford with rear window wiper and also rear window louvers, 69 Mustang was not first. They called them Venetian blinds. It was a Ford option have the book that lists it. This is only ones I have ever seen they are laying on the package tray Took them out and have not clipped them back in. I keep the wiper blade inside also. They also had a hydraulic bumper jack that I have never seen. Hum guess I have to do a reply to post pics. will do that.

David

I have a 1950 Ford with rear window wiper and also rear window louvers, 69 Mustang was not first. They called them Venetian blinds. It was a Ford option have the book that lists it. This is only ones I have ever seen they are laying on the package tray Took them out and have not clipped them back in. I keep the wiper blade inside also. They also had a hydraulic bumper jack that I have never seen. Hum guess I have to do a reply to post pics. will do that.

David

I like the first three on the list. But what is so odd about a rim blow and Hurst dual gate shifter? I can imagine that there were options that were more odd than these?

Off the top of my head:

Before A/C you had this swamp cooler type option.

How about the talking car fad! I think this one only lasted a few years as no one liked their car telling them what to do. "Please fasten your seat belt."

I also remember the 1974 GTO (and other similar GM models) had this funky tent option for the hatchback!

Yes. I found a picture of the tent option:
I had a 73 Ventura.... the car was PERFECT! not a Nova but she would haul azz. I got it in 77 my first real purchase. My Dad co-signed for me. Kinda a burgundy color with white Nagahide like seats it was beautiful. THEN the UNION went on strike 5 times in one year and I lost it ....and all they got us was a frigg'n NICKEL!! Anyway back to the tent option, I could still buy that even though the car was 4 years old

I always thought the 64'ish T-bird slide out of the way steering wheel was cool and odd... Edsel's steering wheel push button trans.....And the old Mercury breezeway with the rear roll down window.

And yup Luke...I dont know why they did not put a Dodge swivel on there...I took a pic of one just last year.

P6200039.JPG

yep the T-bird with the slide out steering wheel was cool. there is a richy rich guy here in the hood that has a late 30's caddy limo. Was designed and built for Warner Brothers for movies. Suppose to be 1of1. back then it had power roll up window from driver to passenger. An intercom for speaking to the passengers and other cool thingys. a very cool looking original car. story is he pay'd BIG dollahs for that car.

The Tiger has a telescoping steering wheel, standard.

That's it.

Yeah, there's power brake "assist" (it doesn't really work), but no PS, nothing.

Not even outside mirrors or back up lights.

But the telescoping wheel's there :)

How about the Cord with front wheel drive and retractable headlights

Back