Top 5 oddest classic car features

mpbsr

There are rumors that Olds, Buick, Lincoln, Mopar, Cougar could have a similar product.

OER® reproduction of the Rim Blow steering wheel center cap for 1970-71 E-Body models and 1971 A & B-Body models with the S83 wood grain Rim Blow steering wheel option

I realize you choose not to recognize Mopar as a competitive product from 71 to 73, but you probably don't want to recognize Buick as well. With that said...your right it doesn't exist.

67 Diamond Blue Vert

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRveIaRU6OAzTfd2Mv6ypGH49BZcPU7MS_7PBKhiOmpmJJrHJ_B_Q

DUDE

LOL even my sig line offended somebody!

Dates of rim blow installation:

AMC - 1970–1971

Chrysler - 1970–1973

Dodge - 1970–1974

Plymouth - 1970–1973

Ford - 1969–1974

Mercury - 1969–1974

Lincoln - 1970–1974

Cadillac - 1969

Buick - 1969–1971

Oldsmobile - 1969–1971

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

I like the first three on the list. But what is so odd about a rim blow and Hurst dual gate shifter? I can imagine that there were options that were more odd than these?

Off the top of my head:

Before A/C you had this swamp cooler type option.

How about the talking car fad! I think this one only lasted a few years as no one liked their car telling them what to do. "Please fasten your seat belt."

I also remember the 1974 GTO (and other similar GM models) had this funky tent option for the hatchback!

Yes. I found a picture of the tent option:

1974_GTO_TentOption_Rear.jpg.d97d3f4ab27dce68e0ad02fb30a808cb.jpg

Guest Kit Sullivan

How about push-button transmissions, rear-wheel steering, Cadillac's "V-8/6/4", Pontiac's "Rope-Drive", GMs "invisible" windshield antennas, Subaru's "cyclops" pop-open off-road light, or the fabulous boat/car thing from the 60s?

• 3 months later...

Didn't chrysler corp have cars with swivel seats in the late 50s early 60s

I saw an Oldsmobile with a swivel seat. I even tried it once it's a little weird but things like that are what make this hobby so much fun.

Going fast is fun but life is short so slow down and enjoy the ride :D Frank

I have a 1950 Ford with rear window wiper and also rear window louvers, 69 Mustang was not first. They called them Venetian blinds. It was a Ford option have the book that lists it. This is only ones I have ever seen they are laying on the package tray Took them out and have not clipped them back in. I keep the wiper blade inside also. They also had a hydraulic bumper jack that I have never seen. Hum guess I have to do a reply to post pics. will do that.

David

I have a 1950 Ford with rear window wiper and also rear window louvers, 69 Mustang was not first. They called them Venetian blinds. It was a Ford option have the book that lists it. This is only ones I have ever seen they are laying on the package tray Took them out and have not clipped them back in. I keep the wiper blade inside also. They also had a hydraulic bumper jack that I have never seen. Hum guess I have to do a reply to post pics. will do that.

David

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

I like the first three on the list. But what is so odd about a rim blow and Hurst dual gate shifter? I can imagine that there were options that were more odd than these?

Off the top of my head:

Before A/C you had this swamp cooler type option.

How about the talking car fad! I think this one only lasted a few years as no one liked their car telling them what to do. "Please fasten your seat belt."

I also remember the 1974 GTO (and other similar GM models) had this funky tent option for the hatchback!

Yes. I found a picture of the tent option:

I had a 73 Ventura.... the car was PERFECT! not a Nova but she would haul azz. I got it in 77 my first real purchase. My Dad co-signed for me. Kinda a burgundy color with white Nagahide like seats it was beautiful. THEN the UNION went on strike 5 times in one year and I lost it ....and all they got us was a frigg'n NICKEL!! Anyway back to the tent option, I could still buy that even though the car was 4 years old

67 Diamond Blue Vert

DUDE

I always thought the 64'ish T-bird slide out of the way steering wheel was cool and odd... Edsel's steering wheel push button trans.....And the old Mercury breezeway with the rear roll down window.

And yup Luke...I dont know why they did not put a Dodge swivel on there...I took a pic of one just last year.

P6200039.thumb.JPG.16be1bb3268bb116804d5a344a0c4136.JPG

yep the T-bird with the slide out steering wheel was cool. there is a richy rich guy here in the hood that has a late 30's caddy limo. Was designed and built for Warner Brothers for movies. Suppose to be 1of1. back then it had power roll up window from driver to passenger. An intercom for speaking to the passengers and other cool thingys. a very cool looking original car. story is he pay'd BIG dollahs for that car.

67 Diamond Blue Vert

DUDE

The Tiger has a telescoping steering wheel, standard.

That's it.

Yeah, there's power brake "assist" (it doesn't really work), but no PS, nothing.

Not even outside mirrors or back up lights.

But the telescoping wheel's there :)

Pete - MotoArts Decals and Signs

'71 Sportsroof 351C-4V/4-speed - FINALLY under construction - no, wait, on hold again...

'90 Mustang 7-Up 5.0 ragtop, rolling beater - SOLD

'66 Sunbeam Tiger Mk.IA, survivor

How about the Cord with front wheel drive and retractable headlights

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/ezgallery.php?action=myimages&u=3961]My Mach[/button] [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=3961]Check out My Garage[/button]

Guest Kit Sullivan

What about the Ford "Sure-Trak" brake system available on Lincolns in 71-72 and Mustangs (and others) in '72?

Basically a stone-age technology version of today's ABS brakes systems, the whole thing was so slow to respond it was actually dangerous in many circumstances.

Cras equipped with the system were recalled and had the systems disconnected.

72 Riviera had an early traction control, not sure if it was like the Sure Trak. This system would retard engine timing to reduce performance if wheel slippage was detected

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/ezgallery.php?action=myimages&u=3961]My Mach[/button] [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=3961]Check out My Garage[/button]